Author Topic: Would you buy a color Showdown sonar?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
Would you buy a color Showdown sonar?
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:04 PM »
I'm curious what demand there would be for a unit like this and what people would see as a reasonable cost.  I have a Showdown 5.6 dual-beam and an H-bird ICE-55 and while I like them both I do find that the Showdown with greyscale only is much harder for me to "read".  I should also throw in that I have very, vey little time in using my Showdown.  Maybe you will all say that such a unit would be a waste and have no market in consideration of the LX-6, but I'm curious what you think.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Would you buy a color Showdown sonar?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Marcum is looking for a way to make it cost effective to them, so I have heard. I would be right in line to buy one when they do.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:14 PM »
I think they would definitely sell. Greyscale is the number one deterrent to people who are considering a showdown. Color would seal the deal.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:47 PM »
I wasnt a fan due to the grey scale but am a fan of the color graph on my LX-7 when using the vertical zoom....

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Keep the feedback coming guys and gals -

As far as price goes I know I paid what I thought was alot of $$ (market price) for my Showdown considering it is not color.  I realize that a part of this cost is due to the coming of digital technology to the hardwater, but it seems like the prices of older tech would/should come down as newer tech becomes available.  If a color Showdown could come in at around $350 I would be interested.  After all the screen is pretty small compared to the LX units.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:01 PM »
If I had the choice of color or the grey screen when I bought mine I would've bought a color one.  I have no complaints about my Showdown Dual Beam and hope if they come out with a color one those of us that have the noncolor ones can send it back for an upgrade.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:06 PM »
I would have to believe the Showdown units out now could not display color.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:09 PM »
I was reading a post not too long ago by james holst that he was told by Marcum that at this point it is actually getting to be more expensive for them to keep having the black and white or gray scale lcd's on the showdowns.  He was told that it is considered outdated and are becoming harder to find, it would be cheaper for them to buy color lcd's because they are more readily available and cheaper...

Someone had asked if there would be a black and white lx7 and this was his response.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:36 PM »
That's very interesting and promising for the possibility of a color Showdown.  I personally can't imagine a B&W LX-7 ever being considered.  I will be in the market for another ice sonar in the next few years and a color Showdown would likely be my go to unit if price seemed reasonable.  I'd also like to add a Troller at some point as well, but that would take a back seat to a color Showdown if one came out.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:39 PM »
I'd buy one!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:48 PM »
I found the actual post.

"What might come as a surprise is that an all B&W digital flasher would be more expensive due to all the monitor hardware moving toward color. Long story short, black and white monitors just aren't made any more so the components needed to build one would be very expensive and sources for the components would be very limited. " - James Holst, In Depth Outdoors

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:49 PM »
I would say chances of seeing a color showdown in the near future are pretty good.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:47 PM »
I would love a color showdown.  I have a troller now.  It doesnt need to be color.  I know when there are fish down there.  color and what not is cool but it doesnt matter to me.  I dont need it to catch fish for me.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Grey scale turned me off.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Colors are just so much easier to see at a glance whats going on....

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I'm with s10xr. I can get everything I need from my showdown just the way it is. If my settings are correct I can see the jig disappear when the fish takes it, what else do you need? Well, I do have a camera too. ;D

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:33 AM »
If the showdowns were in color theres no question I would have bought one. Even if the cost goes up 50$ its still a good deal.

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:10 AM »
I've used my greyscale showdown long enough that I can decipher the shades, but I'd be first in line for a color model...

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2012, 05:10 PM »
And what would you guys do with your old ones.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:27 PM »
In my case I would sell it here on The Shanty.  My sonar plans are to keep the ICE-55 I have, same with the Showdown 5.6 Dualbeam (unless traded off for color Showdown), get a Troller for hole hopping and initial drilling/scouting, and finally get an LX-6 or 7.  I would fish two holes and surround myself with the four different sonars in seperate holes and no fish could escape detection.   ;D  Now by the time all that cash rolls in who knows what will be around, but what more could you need?

P.S. I never said how many of those fish i marked would actually get caught if you noticed.

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Assuming we don't have to pony up for LX-7 $$$$, it seems pretty unanimous that guys who love their Showdown DB (me included) would definitely prefer it to have color.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.