Author Topic: Deer Jerky  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
Deer Jerky
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Ok so this is the second year of making this awesome tasty treat, problem is after two weeks or so it get's moldy >:(. Am I not using enough salt or is my storage (ziplock bag in fridge) the issue? It's fine if we make little amounts because it gets gobbled up fast. Any suggestions?

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Deer Jerky
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Might not be getting it completely dry. Are you using a packaged jerky mix or home made?

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:53 AM »
I'll be watching this as well....but I do know that you need to make sure it cools really well prior to zipping it up.  Otherwise you will get some condensation in the bag.....

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:03 AM »
After heat drying I let it air dry for about a day. I also vacuum seal. I put a piece paper towel in my bags when sealing. Most of the time it last about a week and then gone. I use the Hi Mountain  seasoning which had a preservative in it, besides salt.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:08 AM »
We create our own mix, generally it's different but the same each time if that makes any sense. On the drying part  gosh there's been times where I thought I had it in the dehydrator to long, maybe not. I'll take outside in the bag when I work then come back in and sometimes there will be condensation in the bag. Maybe that's the deal, but then again sometimes it never leaves the house.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:12 AM »
After heat drying I let it air dry for about a day. I also vacuum seal. I put a piece paper towel in my bags when sealing.

We'll give that a try, I gave up on the FoodSaver, some would seal and most wouldn't.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:59 AM »
I just made a batch of deer jerky last month.  Half was smoked, the other was baked.  I used Hi-Mountain Jerky Mix.  Turned out GREAT!  I also used the food saver and stored the pkgs. in the freezer.  I also had a lot of condensation in a big zip lock while letting it cool.  I don't want to eat a sheet of ply wood - I like it tender and soft.  So far so good with the Hi-Mountain, the Food saver and the freezer.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:06 AM »
I make 10-12 lbs. use the food saver and put in the freezer. take out as needed. never had a problem.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:08 AM »
How much venison did it take you to get 10-12 pounds of jerky? I think I am getting a dehydrator and the rest of the stuff for jerky for xmas and would like an idea of the return from the meat. any info would be great

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:07 PM »
ive never weighed out the 'after'.  I usually use LEM seasonings, which I really like.  Especially the HOT.  Generally, one weighs the meat first to make sure the right amount of seasonings and cure is used.  But Ive never checked afterwards.  I do know that it does shrink up a good bit.  I do mine in the oven, on racks, low low heat, with the oven door propped open.  I find a dehydrator really needs watching as the meat is getting done, as, unless you have all uniform pieces, it finishes up at different times.  With thinner pieces getting too crispy if you arent careful. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:19 PM »
Like most have said, air dry it and put in the bag cool wrapped in a paper towel....
But I got away from the jerky and now only make vennie snack stix....   24 pounds of them in the oven now... ;D ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2012, 01:41 PM »
I make 10-12 lbs. use the food saver and put in the freezer. take out as needed. never had a problem.

HIMO
DIDO! works great!

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2012, 03:33 PM »
don"t use plastic bags if you aren't going to freeze it right away use paper lunch bags I' ve  kept it almost 2 weeks with no mold. it usually doesn't  last that long witout dissapearing but we forgot about it.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2012, 03:36 PM »
Hey raquettedacker, wanna share a recipe and procedure for how you do those in the oven?

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:40 PM »
it sounds like your not drying it enough.  i make mine and put it in a zip lock bag an leave it on the counter never goes bad.  i let it cool dowqn first alkso beforer putting in the bag 

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:36 PM »
When I make large batches I keep it in the freezer, smaller batches refrigerator is fine. I sent a vacuum sealed bag back to Alabama this summer with my niece. It turned moldy, once they opened the seal, after a few days in the fridge. The only explanation I have is the higher humidity down there. It was a high mountain seasoning pack.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Hey raquettedacker, wanna share a recipe and procedure for how you do those in the oven?

Not to high jack Bearsfan's thread but I use these kits..   http://www.conyeagerspice.com/snack-stick-kit/#reviews
Cooked up almost 100 of them today....
Double oven full...

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline love em and leave em II

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2012, 12:21 PM »
We had some caribou jerky made and the processor told us just to freeze it because it had more moisture in it  than some jerky and would mold if we did not.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2012, 12:58 PM »
I make large batches of jerky. Last week I converted 30.4 pounds of cleaned venison steak into 12.4 pounds of jerky. I have for years, vacuumed sealed it with no trouble unless the bags don't seal. Cleaning out my freezer, I found a package that was just shy of two years old. Still good! Food Savers are just that, food savers.
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Try using more curing salt LEM, and high mountain jerky makes some that works very well. Some of the season's work well and some do not but the cure does the trick. If your like me and don't want to spend a lot of money on a food saver system try the glad vacuum bags and hand pump. You can get them at wal mart for around 10.00 works very well and have used mine on all of my home freezing projects. Another trick for cure I learned this year is red wine I am going to try this next batch I make.
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Thanks all for all the advice we'll be trying it again this week in preperation for Christmas. Raquettedacker, those look amazing, is it a pain to stuff those?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.