Author Topic: Flasher Question  (Read 762 times)

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher Question
« on: Dec 01, 2012, 02:39 AM »
So I'm looking for a 1st flasher something not to fancy, anyways I'm seeing alot of Vexilar FL-8's for decent prices. I know Vex's are a good brand just curious if anyone had any input on the FL-8 as far as quality and pro/cons. Darn flashers aren't cheap so want to make sure I'm making a good investment.
Thanks
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
Re: Flasher Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:49 AM »
FL-8's are a great flasher. My dad and older brother still use theirs. I have the Marcum LX-5, great flasher, but I paid a lot of money for it. I've seen FL-8's going for around 150 in my area. Really nice looking units for being used..

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:52 AM »
I've had an fl8 for years now. I highly reccomend one.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2012, 08:09 AM »
Fl-8 is probably the best starting unit a person can get.  When I bought my first flasher, it was an 8, and it was about 15 years old.  It worked awesome.  It didn't have all the fancy bells and whistles, but my catch rate increased dramatically.  I finally got smart and sold the Vex and bought a Humminbird Ice-55 and haven't looked back since. 

Offline jbuss79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:50 AM »
I went and bought an FL-8 yesterday Dakotablood. I've done my homework a lot over the past several months and kept my eye on them and such. I'd recommend going to The Rooster in Rapid and getting one. As cheap as you're going to find them anywhere. Plus they told me if I have any problems to come back in and they'd help me out. And when (if) I'm ready to get rid of it and upgrade, I can trade it in so I don't have to worry about trying to sell it.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:54 AM »
you got a good one. don't leave home without it or you will be miserable thinking about it.

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Nice thanks folks for all the input, pretty pumped to get one now I just gotta get xmas shopping out of the way and actually make it to rapid one of these days.   ::)
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2012, 07:14 PM »
fl8 is a great unit.its a starting unit.i started with a fl18 a little better than the fl8.cost a little more but well worth it if you can afford it.it has a split screen that zooms the bottom six feet on the left side and the full watter colum on the right.i wouldnt trade it for anything.what ever unit you buy you will be well pleased with it.good luck.

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2012, 08:24 PM »
I am in love with the fl18  the bottom zoom is awsome for bottom tight fish or deep water like pactola you can see the fish and your bait more clear.  I have some friends that had the fl 8 and are now with 18's but they do cost more and either one would increase you fish catching and makes it more fun to fish.
Gouldin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.