Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Straight Line Ice Reels  (Read 5257 times)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
Re: Straight Line Ice Reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I know that they are selling like hot cakes and I'm really thinking about one of the 241 bro combos myself.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:53 PM »
I bought a clam and a farbill combo haven't used it yet still to dam warm. I had to switch the Handel around its was not hard after watching the video on the clam web site.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:00 PM »
I usedan Okuma SLV 2/3 last year and love it, haven't been impressed with any currently on the market other than mabe the Black Betty, but do have a Black Betty 6061 multiplier on order...

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Just picked up 2 of these Eagle Claw inline reels, haven't had a chance to use them yet but I like the idea of the fly reel/inline design with a 2.6 to 1 ratio, and at $30/ea pretty happy with the price.  It's no Black Betty but then again it doesn't have the $99 price tag.  It looks like it should be able to handle any sized blue gill or crappie and then some, by the looks of this video attached.  I'll still use my spinning reels for heavier lures and targeting larger species.  I also have a Frabill 241 on the way for xmas but haven't had a chance to handle one or see one in person yet, but I'm sure they'll be a step up from using the 1 to 1 ratio fly reels and i can stop using my expensive fly reels on the ice.

in case the embedded video doesn't work above, here's the link:

Offline ice in the hole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  Maybe I'll find one under the Christmas tree.  Any more comments would be appreciated- I'm especially wondering what advantages of inline reels are compared to spinning reels, or is it just the new gadget on the market to get more sales...

Offline nute7810

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • OFFICIAL LURKER.....of the Bikini Ice Fishing Team
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  Maybe I'll find one under the Christmas tree.  Any more comments would be appreciated- I'm especially wondering what advantages of inline reels are compared to spinning reels, or is it just the new gadget on the market to get more sales...
It may be a bit of marketing, but the inline/fly reels reduce/eliminate the spinning of micro jigs/tails, watched them on camera turn away if the offering started spinning after/during a jigging series, a negative for pannies I fish for

and WELCOME TO THE SHANTY !!!!

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:32 AM »
I bought a cheaper white river fly shop #3 fly reel and love it, just put some 6# mono backing and put on some 2# flourosilk. Some of the most fun I've had ice fishing.

Offline BigBassLee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:42 AM »
I have 2 Frabill 241.  I can't wait until we get ice in Wisconsin and Illinois.  The only negative I see about the 241 is there isn't a free spool line release available.  You have to feed it out every time.  So to get back to active deeper fish might take a little longer
Big Bass Lee

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2012, 06:48 PM »
i just recieved my genz ice spooler today.....can't wait to try it. it seems like it will work well for sight fishing

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:36 PM »
I have purchased a couple of the new in-line ice reels and you just can't beat the feel of the Okumas. Maybe it's just me but I like to palm the reel and use my hand as the drag and that's not doable with these new reels. I prefer the Okumas though. You really just can't beat them.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:40 PM »
I have purchased a couple of the new in-line ice reels and you just can't beat the feel of the Okumas. Maybe it's just me but I like to palm the reel and use my hand as the drag and that's not doable with these new reels. I prefer the Okumas though. You really just can't beat them.
You can still palm the Genz Spooler/Frabill 101 reels; I like to do that as well.  The "neck" on the Black Betty is too long to be able to palm it easily and you can't really palm the 6061/Eagle Claw Inline reels very well as it interferes with the spool during retrieve.

The Okuma SLVs are certainly very nice reels and do a fine job.

I need to get more time with the Spooler and Eagle Claw on the ice this season to formulate a complete opinion.  One day on the ice hasn't been enough time.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:32 PM »
I think they have a place but I like my spinning reels. 

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:57 AM »
i love my spinning reels but hate the twist i hope my new gens spooky rectifys the spin. god i hate the spin.
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:09 PM »
A little better video review and explanation of the eagle claw inline reel in this youtube video:

They are not on the website as the guy states in the vid and you'll be lucky to find these anywhere as they are out at the factory and don't expect more until Feb.  Had to get mine shipped from Gander in Madison, WI and they are out now.  I've been using my large arbor fly reels the past couple seasons and I liked them for light jigs for bluegill and crappie.  They did eliminate the jig spinning, that turned off finicky fish, however when you hooked a bigger fish and they made runs I lost quite a few due to the slower 1 to 1 retrieve ratio of the fly reel, too much slack when the fish runs towards you...  The newer inline reels have gears and are like multiplier fly reels that have almost a 3 to 1 ratio, a little less than a spinning reel, without the line twist.  It's the best of both worlds for me and it will be the wave of the future for ice fishing, for me at least.  After about 7 seasons on the ice all of my UL spinning reels are beat to hell now and I don't want my nice fly reels to end up that way.  So now I can have dedicated ice reels on my ice rods and keep my spinning reels on my open water rods, and my fly reels on my fly rods.

Offline LunkerPlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:43 AM »
I purchased one of the clam ice fly combos. I was relieved that it didn't have that awful clicking sound that a lot of fly reels have. If the forecast cooperates I'll be using it in a couple of weeks  :tipup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:04 AM »

well i bit the bullet and got a 6061 wicked we shall see , it takes in 19" per crank and that is only 3" less than my trion gx7 spinning reels that i jig in open water for eyes , i matched it with a 28" wicked rod , if i don't like it I'm sure i can find some one to take it off my hands, far as line twists i use a tiny barrel anyway and change my ice line about mid season     

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:58 AM »
does your barrel swivel effect the action? how far up the line do you tie it. any time i have put extra weigh or anything else on my line the fish see it

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2012, 10:04 AM »
does your barrel swivel effect the action? how far up the line do you tie it. any time i have put extra weigh or anything else on my line the fish see it

it's up  2' and it doesn't effect the action at all ,walleyes for the majority of the time aren't shy and my lures are pretty big  from 1/4-1 oz baits , and my barrels i use can be reeled right through the guides if need be 

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2012, 10:55 AM »
great info filet, I'm a pan head so there a lil more finicky. although i might give it a try in deep or stained water.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:01 PM »
great info filet, I'm a pan head so there a lil more finicky. although i might give it a try in deep or stained water.

for pans i fish quite shallow up to 10' and i don't use a barrel swivel or a reel , i use a pee shooter with a balsa wood handle and my guides are made from no. 2 gold hooks , pretty old school stuff

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:10 PM »
goota pic it would be pretty cool to see

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:21 AM »

i''ll take one and see how it comes out , had a guy laugh at me last year ,a bud ,of course he dosen't laugh anymore  ;) 

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2012, 03:49 PM »
you probably outfish him...huh?

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2012, 06:25 PM »
lunker 1281 who is out fishing who theres no ice to fish on ::)

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Not yet but we will see who out fishs who soon! Lol

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2012, 01:35 PM »

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:32 AM »
i have about 10 of those old school poles that i don't us

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2012, 12:12 PM »
i have about 10 of those old school poles that i don't us

well SW wanted to see the no. 2 hooks i used for guides and the balsa handle thats all, 

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2012, 01:48 PM »
poles look great and neat to see the hook to line guide transformation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.