Author Topic: Escape hatch?  (Read 965 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Escape hatch?
« on: Nov 23, 2012, 01:04 PM »
So a buddy and I are going to build a shanty and we have a plan laid out taking designs and ideas from many of the shanties on this site. It will be T shaped with a 4'x8' foot print then kick out at seat height to an 8'x8' structure, we're doing it this way to accommodate the trailers we already have and or give it the possibility of fitting in a truck bed. Also that would make it fit in the path I cut with my wheelers (what we will tow it with) 60" snowplow. The one part we're not sure of is... Do you guys put one side of the roof on a hinge so it can be flipped open if the shanty somehow goes through while inside and and the door is blocked by ice or under water? or am I being way overly cautious? It's our first shanty build and would hate to leave out a safety feature everybody else builds into theirs just because we may have thought it was overkill.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Escape hatch?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2012, 01:23 PM »
Escape Hatch?  A 'little' bit PARANOID perhaps, lol

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2012, 01:37 PM »
Maybe an ejection seat??  ;D  :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2012, 01:58 PM »
put pontoons on it!!! then it won't matter how much ice there is.

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Sorry but it was a little funny. No I've never heard of any instances where an escape hatch was needed. I f the ice is that thin then usually there is no reason to be out there. A typical bobhouse will weigh in around 300 to 600 lbs depending on size. I've been ice fishing for forty years nearly every weekend and then  some and most always out of a 4x8 bobhouse and never had any issues other than wet spots or ice heaves. Good luck and remember there aren't any stupid questions only stupid answers.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Sorry but it was a little funny. No I've never heard of any instances where an escape hatch was needed. I f the ice is that thin then usually there is no reason to be out there. A typical bobhouse will weigh in around 300 to 600 lbs depending on size. I've been ice fishing for forty years nearly every weekend and then  some and most always out of a 4x8 bobhouse and never had any issues other than wet spots or ice heaves. Good luck and remember there aren't any stupid questions only stupid answers.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it was the norm but figured I'd ask before we make the trip to the lumber yard.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline dane grasso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:49 PM »
 :ocheck out door to door storage.com that's were i got my shanty the price is rite too  $00000$$$ i'll throw pic's soon 5x8 not bad for 0
happy wife happy life

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Maybe an ejection seat??  ;D  :woot:

Just make sure that no one pushes the "button" by accident, say when you're pulling up a record breaking laker or cusk!!!!! ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.