Author Topic: VEX DESTROYED !!!!  (Read 4689 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
VEX DESTROYED !!!!
« on: Nov 19, 2012, 08:58 PM »
My "priceless" VEXILAR has been destroyed by Hurricane Sandy, so I'm going to be needing to replace it NOW !!  Been using the Vex for so manyyears that I don't know anything about other competition on the market today.  I know everyone has his favorite brand, but if you had to choose one today.....which one would YOU buy??  And why ??(Price doesn't matter).

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: VEX DESTROYED !!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Marcum lx-5 or 7 after using the rest I feel these are the top of the line on the market today...

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:03 PM »
"Price doesn't matter"

Well then I would just build my own lake to my specifications, stock it with the fish I want, and GPS all the coordinates of the special structure that I put down there for each species.  No VEX needed.   ;D

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:08 PM »
All depends on what features you need. There are some really good threads on all this in the fishing with electronics forum. Sorry I'm not smart enough to get you a link I'm on the wife's tablet thingy lol.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Glad the hurricane didn't destroy you!

Lowrance elite 5
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:21 PM »
My "priceless" VEXILAR has been destroyed by Hurricane Sandy, so I'm going to be needing to replace it NOW !!  Been using the Vex for so manyyears that I don't know anything about other competition on the market today.  I know everyone has his favorite brand, but if you had to choose one today.....which one would YOU buy??  And why ??(Price doesn't matter).

Destroyed as in a steaming pile of useless parts? Vex may be able to get it running for you again if it is all still there. Vex does not stay in business because they have the best technology, they stick around because they treat their customers very well. They have a service center right in the Twin Cities in MN, give em a call!

If I had my pick of the litter though, I'd end up walking out without one due to indecision. ;D

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I don't know just how destroyed you mean, but the can do quite a few repairs if you send it in to them.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:25 PM »
lx 6 or 7. the 9 is a waste in my opinion

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:43 PM »
HUMMINBIRD!!- They have a big screen and the cheapest one has all the features that you will need.  IMO. :)

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:30 PM »
I like the Vexilar FL 22HD the target separation from jig to fish is awesome. I put my camera down one hole and my vexilar in the hole next to it. then I tried it with my friends LX-5 marcum  and the Vexilar was better. but to each his own. what ever you get you should try it with a camera pointed at your jig, on the bottom in and out of weeds. you will learn alot about how your flasher works. I also like the flat screen in the sunlight, you can still see all your colors.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:00 PM »
lx7.

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:04 PM »
I think all the new flashers are great!!!! Depends on what kind of bells and whistles you like...

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:49 PM »
Marcum lx-5 or 7

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2012, 01:25 AM »
Sorry for your losses.
What did you have before? If you liked it, you may want to stick with it rather than deal with a bunch of new crap you don't need.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2012, 05:34 AM »
Marcum all the way I have owned them all,VEX FL-22 Pro Pack ok Humminbird55 hard to read as the bottom signal jumped both were sold on ebay. If you want a Flasher any one of Marcums are the best I still use the VX-1 for Panfish under 20 feet it reads nice the bottom signal is strong and true. but my main is the Lx-5,it reads nice in the open light the LX-7 is by far the best if you are fishing in a shelter it is so awesome it is in a class by itself,but I find it hard to read in the direct sun light as the flasher has a cone around the dial.Marcum all the way.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2012, 05:39 AM »
Another vote for MarCum. Their customer service is outstanding and their products speak for themself. If money is no problem go with the lx-7, you will not regret it.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2012, 07:13 AM »
Fl18 vex all the way! Why mess with anything else. But then again the new humming bird 385ci is a nice one. GPS and finder all in one.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:27 AM »
If you were satisfied with the Vex you may want to stay with the brand. I have an FL18 and an LX5 at this time. I will probably use the LX5 in my hub and wheelhouse, but will most likely take the FL18 when using my wheeler just because I can drop it in a bucket to transport it. They are both great flashers in my opinion.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2012, 09:39 AM »
Seeing as all the marcum fanboys had to jump in I figure I better put in a vote for the Bird, Ive used every brand and I will stick to my humminbirds. The colours and small screen of the marcum flashers are terrible, the LX6/7/9s are pretty neat but seem fragile to me and im still partial to mechanical flashers vs digital.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2012, 09:46 AM »
stick with what you have used and are used to, have you caught fish using the one you have? it goes on the theory "dont leave fish to find fish" I am pretty sure vex would love to get there hands on it and fix it up for you !
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2012, 09:49 AM »
look up the lorance, its really nice and both flasher and graph. use it on ice or open water. this is me advice from looking at the marcums and vexs and i wouldnt change if you gave me them...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Tod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Vexilar with over 50 yrs in biz and the best customer service you can't go wrong
Bring It

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2012, 03:02 PM »
I have the Vexilar FL-20 and absolutely love it. I now use my Lowrance X67 Ice machine as a loaner for someone who goes ice fishing with me and doesn't have a fishfinder.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2012, 03:12 PM »
As I expected, you are all loyal to your own brands, probably because they catch fish for you.  Up to now, I have been using the VexFL8, which has done a really good job for me.  It's deinitely going back to Vexilar for repair (if possible, it was drowned by "Sandy").   Just because "time marches on" and electronics devices advance apparently by the minute, I'm going to move up to either the VEX FL-20, or the Marcum LX5.  If my old Vex can be fixed, it will be a loaner to anyone who fishes wih me and doesn't have one   THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE GUYS !!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2012, 03:20 PM »

i have a vex 18 deep and 2 Lowrance's i like both makes with no trouble , if you were really happy with it try a reconditioned unit from their factory outlet great deals and they have a warranty , just my .02

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2012, 04:49 PM »
As I expected, you are all loyal to your own brands, probably because they catch fish for you.  Up to now, I have been using the VexFL8, which has done a really good job for me.  It's deinitely going back to Vexilar for repair (if possible, it was drowned by "Sandy").   Just because "time marches on" and electronics devices advance apparently by the minute, I'm going to move up to either the VEX FL-20, or the Marcum LX5.  If my old Vex can be fixed, it will be a loaner to anyone who fishes wih me and doesn't have one   THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE GUYS !!!

Mine sat at the bottom of a lake for 12 hours, was sent in, repaired and sent back for 50$ in parts labor and shipping..  The entire ordeal took 5 days from leaving my hands to returning them.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Marcum baby!....Lx5 or Lx7 ;)
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Having fished both the 5 and 20 I can honestly say the 20 while costing more isn't worth it, the 5 is by far a better unit...

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2012, 06:45 PM »
I've been thinking about making the MarCum jump for a couple of seasons, a friend was moving up to a LX-7 and sold me his LX-3.  I can't wait to get it on the ice, from what I've read it should be at least equal to my FL-20, if that's the case, I see a 5 or 7 in my future.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Dear IceBalls and Family,

My FL-20 and I are extremely sorry for your loss. As soon as I told FL-20 what had happened and how your Vex was valiant to the end in the face of Hurricane Sandy, he went straight to the trickle charger and I cannot get him to unhook himself. Between his sobs, FL-20 said he had once met your Vex when they were first produced and assembled in Bloomington, MN. They had sat next to each other on a cart, while awaiting boxing. He said Vex was very excited to meet you and wanted to mark plenty of fish for you. Vex was a gamer.

IceBalls, Vex was a flasher with sound work ethics, strong electronics, and the ability to discern bottom hugging fish from the bottom. But you already know that. You may not know he had worked very hard on his target separation and according to FL-20, led his class and was voted "Most Likely To Mark A State Record".  I know this cannot alleviate the pain and grieving the loss of your Vex has brought to you and your family, but FL-20 and I hope this little story, the first days of your Vex, brings some peace and solace to you and your family during this most difficult time.

FL-20 is taking this pretty hard right now and has started asking for the Patron. It's going to be a long, long  night here IceBalls. Please excuse us now as I need to get two shot glasses and the Patron, and will most likely be up the rest of the night with FL-20. Hopefully he can get it together as we had planned to go out and mark trout in some alpine lakes tomorrow. We may both just end up sleeping in as there is plenty of Patron.

Again IceBalls, sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,

wyoutdoors & FL-20

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.