Author Topic: Shappell Rover 1.5 or FX 100?  (Read 4331 times)

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
Shappell Rover 1.5 or FX 100?
« on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:40 PM »
I'm trying to decide between these two shelters and need some input from anyone that has either of them. What are the major differences between them? From what I can tell the only major differences are that the Rover is about 9" taller and the FX is 8lbs lighter. I'm kinda leaning towards the FX since I'm trying to keep weight down. I think I remember reading somewhere that the FX uses heavier material also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I can get them both for the same price so that's not an issue.

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shappell Rover 1.5 or FX 100?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2012, 10:56 PM »
I just bought the rover and was thinking of buying the fx, and had seconds thoughts untill I saw the  fx in person.  The rover gives you 44" of width in the fishing area from the sled to the door, the fx tapers out from the sled to give you 44" at the door. The material thickness wasnt an issue for me because I have fished in huts with the 300d walls and they seem to keep the heat just fine vs the 600 that the fx has. The only thing with the rovers is you have to break down the poles compared to the fx that you dont have to do that.  I will take a little set up time with the extra height you get vs no set up time, a tappered fishing area, and less height.  Plus the rovers sled will pull up to the holes from the side while the fx will have to be pulled away or backed to the holes because of the direction of the sled set up.  I hope this helps and its just my take.

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:42 AM »
I love my Rover 1.5, but I added padding to the bench - 2" foam covered in vinyl. Much more comfy. Being a big guy, I love the width. The smaller sled is awesome, and the poles sliding don't bother me at all.

Dave

Offline Big fish tuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love the winter
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:59 AM »
Got my fk last week put it together sat in it and said yes I'm going to love this
Just sit flip and fish ;D
catch some leave some

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2012, 12:40 PM »
I think you mean the FX  ::) . Please tell us about it.............how well it is constructed, cover, frame, etc. ???

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2012, 01:41 PM »
just got my new fx100 put together. everything looks good. good canvas all material looks good for the price. sat in mine and think I will do a little mod. on the seat. other than that , think it will be a great 1 man . like someone else said FLIP AND FISH!

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2012, 01:48 PM »
i have the rover 1.5 sp. havent fished out of it but i have the following to say about it:
-Canvas does seem thin, however, i dont think it is too thin.
-utilizes the sled size well, plenty of room for the wife and I
-light weight
did my first mod on it this weekend. made a box for under the bench seat and put the bench seat on hinges so it lifts up for rod and tackle storage.

One thing i did notice...i was at cabelas looking at them (after i bought mine) and i noticed the sled was collapsed under the bench. I dont know if this was caused by someone sitting on it or what but it did make me question the integrity of the sled construction

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2012, 02:32 PM »
i have the rover 1.5 sp. havent fished out of it but i have the following to say about it:
-Canvas does seem thin, however, i dont think it is too thin.
-utilizes the sled size well, plenty of room for the wife and I
-light weight
did my first mod on it this weekend. made a box for under the bench seat and put the bench seat on hinges so it lifts up for rod and tackle storage.

That's funny. I did the same thing to my bench, but put a mesh sling under the bench. Holds my rods and braces safely with more storage space below. A rod slick on each rod - no tangles, good protection from bending/breakage.

I ran my 1.5 last year - didn't seem  thin at all - good light control, but I can't attest to the thermal properties with our weather. Per the old website specs, I think the 1.5 has 600D fabric also.

I run a Smitty sled under everything. Weight becomes less of an issue.

I REALLY love the elbow room. Don't know what I'd do if it was narrow at the seating position. I couldn't have my 10-year old daughter join me inside..... >:(

Dave

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2012, 04:22 PM »
I have the 1.5 dx, and I like it alot...........plenty of room...

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:12 PM »
I just bought the rover and was thinking of buying the fx, and had seconds thoughts untill I saw the  fx in person.  The rover gives you 44" of width in the fishing area from the sled to the door, the fx tapers out from the sled to give you 44" at the door. The material thickness wasnt an issue for me because I have fished in huts with the 300d walls and they seem to keep the heat just fine vs the 600 that the fx has. The only thing with the rovers is you have to break down the poles compared to the fx that you dont have to do that.  I will take a little set up time with the extra height you get vs no set up time, a tappered fishing area, and less height.  Plus the rovers sled will pull up to the holes from the side while the fx will have to be pulled away or backed to the holes because of the direction of the sled set up.  I hope this helps and its just my take.
Do you have to break down the poles to move or can you just flip it to move? I don't want to have to break it down every time I move.

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:24 PM »
I just got and put together a FX100 and it is AWESOME....the fabric is rugged, the bench seat is OK...I plan to sit on a boat cushion anyways....have not started to put gear in it yet...but I will soon....there is plenty of room to fish...i'm 5'11" and 240lbs...I got it because it was made in USA and was one of the lightest one mans on the market

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:16 PM »
You can pull the rover 1.5 sp with the poles extended by hand. I wouldn't pull it behind a snowmobile

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Great topic I'm leasning towards the FX100 and yes the made in USA has everything to do with it even though I live in Canada. I support products made in CAN or USA first where people for the most part share the same values! I was told by a Shappell person that the Rover will be discontinued this yr.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Mote, As "Woodland" just posted and we here in Pa don't have that problem since we have to pull by hand on 99% of the lakes we fish. I've had the Rover 1.5 for at least four years and still have had no issues. Well, except for one of the top support poles that I dropped down a hole. But I was able to order a replacement from Shappell and everything is back to normal. Love the roominess and the fact that any gear in the sled is going to stay in it. I use the Paulin "Mr. Cooker/heater" and it stays pretty toasty.   Lou

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going with the FX100. If they are going to discontinue the 1.5 I'm worried it will become difficult to get replacement parts. I also like the fact that you don't have to assemble the poles. I move around a lot and like to be able to do it quickly.

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2012, 07:52 AM »
the putting together poles thing was exactly why I went with the FX100 instead....I have a Frabill Refuge Cabin shelter which you "put together poles"....this FX100 is really cool...flip it and fish...and the heavy fabic makes it really dark so I know I'll be sight fishing this winter!  VERY glad I bought it!

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:27 AM »
I really don't see what the big deal is about extending the poles? When I had a trap pro, I only had to extend them once(takes 30 seconds) and collapse them once for transporting home. You don't have to collapse every time you move to a new hole. That being said, I am leaning towards the fx100 since it is a new item and parts(if ever needed), won't be an issue as it looks like the Rover will be discontinued.  ;)

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Hey Mote, I think you will be happy with whatever you plan on purchasing but the Rover 1.5 is $200.00 at Cabelas right now.  I am not sure if they still have them or not, they say its an online deal but I was in the store last Friday and saw one in the box, saves on shipping, and no you do not have to break down the poles to move.  Good Luck.

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Hey Mote, I think you will be happy with whatever you plan on purchasing but the Rover 1.5 is $200.00 at Cabelas right now.  I am not sure if they still have them or not, they say its an online deal but I was in the store last Friday and saw one in the box, saves on shipping, and no you do not have to break down the poles to move.  Good Luck.
Cabela's has the 1.5 and the FX100 both on sale right now for $199.99. I went with the FX100. I got it yesterday and I'm very happy with it. Seem's like it is really well made and it's super light. It's very roomy inside. Now I just need some ice to try it out. It's 60 degrees here right now :'(.

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Congrats on the new toy I hope there is plenty of ice for all of us to fish this winter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.