The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: sonars and cameras or just old fasioned?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
sonars and cameras or just old fasioned?
« on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:42 AM »
I am only 17 but would prefer to go old fashioned and pick a spot on the ice, drill a hole and fish. I would rather be looking at the scenery and catching little to no fish than sitting and staring at an electric device all day. Thats just me, i understand that they help you find more fish (and i am not trying to put anyone down that uses them) but its just not my style. Anyone else with me?

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: sonars and cameras or just old fasioned?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:46 AM »
I'm with you on taking in the scenery but that don't mean I'm not using a flasher. Have you ever tried using one? if you haven't, you should try one, bet you'll change your mind. A flasher is just as essential as an auger in my book.

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I have watched a guy use one and i was catching more fish than him and his eyes were glued to it the whole time plus they are a little pricey in my opinion. If you have extra money laying around then i guess why not buy one but if i am still catching a good amount each trip then i just don't see myself buying an extra piece of gear to haul around. And plus with that money i would rather buy a new fly-rod  or use the money to buy an aluminum boat that i have been wanting for a while. But if it you like them and they work for you than then i am happy that you are out there icing fish.

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:06 AM »
On another hand if i was in tournaments i would definitely buy one right away.

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:12 AM »
Old school can work just fine, but on days when the fish are not in my normal spots it sure is nice to be able to move around with the Vex and find them.  Just being outside for the day fishing is great, but adding fish to the equation can make a good day great, and sometimes the Vex or Camera can save the day.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:38 AM »
If it works for you, dont change it.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I use everything. I take advantage of fish producing tools in every possible form, especially electronics. Now there are certainly times when I don't use them, and that typically involves shallow water running multiple lines, or when your ontop of stacks of perch and your not using it to coax bites. Thats when the camera comes out and I start weeding out the small ones :D

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2012, 01:48 PM »
I fished old school for many years, mainly in 6 fow, or less.  Now living here, I routinely fish 20+ fow.  Since getting a flasher, it has changed the way I fish.  It has made me a better, more mobile, more efficient, and successful fisherman.

There is nothing wrong with old school, and if it works for you, and you are happy, then that is all that matters.  Just don't be so closed minded that you shun technology.  Maybe after you get your fly rod, boat etc.. you will reconsider getting a flasher.  If you do, I think you will be amazed at the difference it truly does make.  Good Luck this ice fishing season.

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2012, 02:09 PM »
 Never used a flasher before but I do use an underwater camera. I think it really ads to the trip, especially when others come out who have never fished before. Its a good learning tool as you can see what fish are down there and how they react to your bait. Everyone I have brought out has really enjoyed watching it and would rather watch it than stare down a hole for hours. Although not needed,  its a useful tool, but It is also an extra thing to carry out and set up.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2012, 02:09 PM »
save your money and take your lumps and bruises. it will make you a better fisherman and when you get really good than go and buy some real equipment so you can relax a lot more. we normally all learn the hard way but what better experience. i think you will love the sport regardless. i have most everything and the most important is my locator for so many reasons. it is better to be encouraged by what you do rather than be discouraged. i go fishing because i enjoy it and all the little things help. go fishing and have fun. good luck and have fun fishing.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2012, 03:02 PM »
I will never give up my flasher. But the outdoors are fun to look at too. ;D

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:09 PM »
flashers are great.been useing one for the last 8 years.i wouldent go anymore if i didnt have one.they are so useful not, just locating fish but finding dept and drop offs.use one just once and, you will be hooked.i was old school for 41 years now im new school and love it.lotts more fun for me.keeps me interested.why drill a hundred holes to find fish when you can drill only a few holes see them on the flasher and know there is fish there.without a flasher you are fishing in the dark.sorry if you disagree but i have to go with the changes.as far as looking at the scenary i can watch my flasher and the scenary.i have seen coyoties ,deer,jack rabbits and other animals includeing a few eagles while watching my flasher.i hate opening the hut and finding myself in the middle of a snowstorm.GIVE A FLASHER A TRY.SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:12 PM »
+ 1 for flashers.  Never hit ice without lx 5.  Spoiled I guess.

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:27 PM »
I love my flasher.  It has made me a much better and more mobile fisherman. You probably have fish watching your lure and don't Even know it.  It has helped me understand how to jig better.  I don't always use it   I let my buddy's borrow it when we go together. But even when I'm not using the flasher I'm using a lot of fishing techniques I have learned from fishing with it.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:49 PM »
I fish old school but it is because I went through a divorce last year and haven't had the money to buy one yet :) Once I have the cash I will be buying one. I have seen what they can do and I really want one for perch fishing. Now my pike fishing with tipups probably won't change but I do expect when I finally get one I will get on the fish a lot quicker than I do now. As for a camera I would really like a good one of those too but I want that for my kids, they would love to watch and try and catch a fish they can see. Can't afford either one right now but I will have them both someday :)

Offline thefightingpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go Fish
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 PM »
The minute you use a flasher you'll never go back! @)
Pike are underrated.
Practice catch and release.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2012, 12:15 PM »
I've fished "old fashioned" since I was 5.  Was out there with my father pulling trout and perch by the dozens from the lake and we just went to our "secret" spot.  Nowadays, the area we went to is overrun with four wheelers and crazy fishermen. lol. So I picked up a simple sonar to work some new areas and see what was under the surface. Had to relearn some things and work on some new techniques but now I bet I can produce as many fish and anyone else and I have just as much fun doing it as I always did.  At the end of the day, I can show you a ton of scenic pictures that I love to take because I too take in the world around me while I fish.  I don't consider myself glued to the flasher but rather, I have the opportunity to share my success with a friend or two and then they get hooked on how fun ice fishing is.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2012, 12:28 PM »
To each his own!  But for me, i sat on a bucket from ages 5 - 30ish.  Now i use any technology i can afford!!  I think its made me a better fisherman.  Of course, with more mouths at home, and trying to get the next generation in to the sport - it's nice to have some bells and whistles!

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2012, 12:29 PM »
I fished old school my whole life, and I'm now 52. I constantly tried jigging with absolutly no luck. I caught my fair share on tipups if they were biting where I set up. I bought a flasher 4 years ago because people jjiggin were outfishing me 5-1  or 10-1. My catch rate is now 5-10 times better than what it was. I rarely use tipups. I'm also a photographer so seeing what's around me is always important. I stay warm because I'm moving instead of staying in one place. Nothing wrong with old school. It's probably the best way to learn about fish in general. But when you can see reaction of individual fish and change your presentation based on that, the learning curve just got very steep. As long as you're enjoying the outdoors and having fun, that's all that matters.

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2012, 01:15 PM »
I am only 17 but would prefer to go old fashioned and pick a spot on the ice, drill a hole and fish. I would rather be looking at the scenery and catching little to no fish than sitting and staring at an electric device all day. Thats just me, i understand that they help you find more fish (and i am not trying to put anyone down that uses them) but its just not my style. Anyone else with me?

I am with you 100%

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2012, 01:33 PM »
i could see how they could be useful,
but i fish "blind" and usually seem to do ok.
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2012, 01:40 PM »
I fished "old school" for years...wow did that suck!  ;D
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2012, 04:13 PM »
The great thing about ice fishing is how many folks will help you. I use a Fihing Buddy  fish finder. I made a bracket to support it in the hole. It tells me water temp., depth,and marks fish and structure. I can also side scan 360 degrees. I like the price. Most flashers are 4-500 dollars or more. Focus more on fishing and less on electronics. I do use a GPS to mark good spots. That is huge. I have never been outfished by anyone with a flasher. That being said, I am looking at the vertical Marcum unit.
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline Ketchnrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:47 PM »
In the words of my wise old man:

"I'd rather fish with a Vexilar and no rod, than a rod and no Vexilar"

Right before he jumped in the truck and left me sitting on the ice to drive an hour back to town to get his flasher left charging in the garage.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:42 PM »
^ perfect!

Tinker

« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:18 AM »
I'm running the Lowrance x67c ice machine, think I paid 250 for it last year but maybe it was 300.  Anyway, "georgetown goes dead about noon" is a common philosophy, not so since using a sonar.  It typically slows down a bunch but the fish are still around, you just have to get them to bite.  Last year I decided enough with the trout, time to challenge myself and fill a bucket of salmon (still haven't filled a bucket but 30 or so a day is pretty common).  Those little buggers in my experience give you one quick tap and if you miss it you miss it.  Usually my sonar will show several blips in the mid water of 20 fow to indicate salmon.  One larger blip is usually a trout, large blip on the bottom is usually a bigger trout, and sometimes they come through just above or below my jigs.  I often catch a blip on the screen just as its leaving the screen above or below my jigs, quickly get to that depth and jig and it comes right back again.  Nice thing about a graph rather than a flasher is there is a 10 second or so history once that fish leaves the cone.  Lots of fish I would have never caught or even known were there untill I started using the sonar.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.