Author Topic: What are you using to pull your gear out early in the season?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm looking at getting one of those Otter Sleds, right now I'm using two sleds I picked up for 5$ a piece, a 3rd one if I'm bringing out the shack. Not Practical at all unless theirs more then one of us going out. Anyone have a good model of these sleds? I don't want it to weigh too much but I know their built good. But what are you guys using? What works good?

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What are you using to pull your gear out early in the season?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:53 AM »
I just bought an Otter sport sled medium, weight is 12.5 lbs. Its just big enough to fit the Quickfish 4 and gear. Also, its made in USA.

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Try using a calfing sled. Used for farming and real durable plastic. I never used one myself but have seen them mentioned on here when people ask about sleds.

Offline mytiburon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:08 AM »
I use a calf sled. I ordered my through a co-op farm and agro center, orange in color! They work well, are cheap, fit all of my gear and pull the kids around a bit as well.

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:26 AM »
I use an otter sled and it works great, easily holds all my gear and the sides are tall so you aren't losing anything out of the sled when pulling.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:37 AM »
I use a Pelican Ice fishing sled, I've done a few mods to it to carry things better like my rods (and my little guys) and tipups, other than what is in there in the pic I put in my Jiffy Auger, Flasher, & cooler that I keep my catch in.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Once there's 4 inches of ice use the honda trikes to pull my gear :) but have a calf sled from peavy mart I added sides, hinged top and hitch to and my Frabill Trekker Shuttle. The shuttle is my favorite piece of equipment beside the strikemaster. I'll leave my electronics at home before the shuttle unless I'm taking the truck out later in the year.

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:57 PM »
get the calf sleigh, as it works well for a wind break when just trying a few spots, instead of set up and tear down of portable shack, big enough that you don't have to leave anything on the porch.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:47 PM »
I picked up one of the pelican sleds and Canadian Tire a couple of years ago, the larger 48" model for $70. I just pull it with the rope if I'm not going very far, but if I'm heading out a ways I rigged up a harness to pull it on cross country skis or snow shoes. I pretty much leave it packed up and ready to go all the time in the winter.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Picked up one of those cabellas sleds for $49.99 this week, I will have to do some modifications like DBK81 did particularly with the rod holders.  I wanted to head out this week but with the snow the ice may be a little thin for my liking, will wait another week, its still early.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Hi guys,
I have an H20 sled and it looks similar to the sled in AngusMacHuge's & Beachcomber's photos.
I don't remember where I picked it up or how much I payed for it, but I have had it for quite a few years now and the only thing that it needs is a new string.

I keep it with me when I go to any lake, just encase the lake is not thick enough for a vehicle or the snow is too deep to get on to the ice.

It's a good little sled that slides easily over snow and ice. It also makes haling wood alot easier. ;)

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.