Author Topic: Quad or sled?  (Read 6586 times)

Offline falconcg

• IceShanty Rookie
Quad or sled?
« on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:28 PM »
If I were to buy something to transport my ice fishing stuff.  What would be better.  An ATV or snowmobile?

Thanks for the info.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Quad or sled?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:33 PM »
I would go with ATV, as it's a 4 season machine.

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:52 PM »
I would go with ATV, as it's a 4 season machine.

Yep

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Yep

I have both...but my ATV IS a 4 season machine! Not always deep enough snow to run the sled!

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:56 PM »
It all depends on where you are and how you fish.

I need both up here in NW Ontario.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:13 AM »
Also depends on how much money you have to spend.
You can get a decent used sled far cheaper than a decent used ATV.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:43 AM »
Also depends on how much money you have to spend.
You can get a decent used sled far cheaper than a decent used ATV.

And how much snow and or slush do you get? If you never get more than a foot of snow and don't have lots of slush where you fish, go with an atv.
BUT if your like me and it's not just a fishing machine, also a FUN machine, I would go with a sled. At least a 400+cc fan cooled one if you don't get much snow.

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:21 AM »
Same here, I have both just in case the snow gets too deep or when fishing the big lakes can get across a lot faster

Offline falconcg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Here we don't have lots of snow.  Basically I would be carrying my stuff directly from my house to the river near I live (1-2km away). 

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Snowmobile for me. No place to ride an ATV but over 10,000 miles of snowmobile trails here in NY if I ever get bored with Ice Fishing.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:34 PM »
I have both but on normal years the sleds make more sense here but last year my sled only got 10 miles on it compared to over 1000 the year before. It comes down to how much snow you get. If you get low snowfall on average I'd say either an atv or utv, can always pick up an old cheap sled once you have the atv.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:05 AM »
Okay boys I need some opinions.  I am sick and tired of walking and dragging my stuff around the lake, I really feel like it is hampering my ability and willingness to be truly mobile and getting to those areas well away from the crowds and into promising looking areas.  I refuse to drive my vehicle on the ice so its time to get a new form of transportation.  if you were to get a mode of transportation that would for the most part be strictly used for ice fishing only, I really have no need for it for anything else (hunt all public ground so I can't use it hunting).  Most years a quad will get you around the lakes here but we do have the years where we get enough snow that a quad won't work but they are not that often. 

So lets say you had 1500-2000 to spend which way would you go?

Offline JG ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:07 AM »
sled :)
flags a poppin

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Lighter the better man. The lighter it is, the earlier u can put it on the ice.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:13 AM »
It's probably going to be a lot different from area to area, but here in New England I find that a fan cooled sled is best for me. The only time you can't really use a sled is when it's glare ice, and then it's not horrible to walk and pull. 95% of the time a wheeler will work great, but when I want to go fishing in that blizzard when it's already been snowing for a week I am all set. Also, there are a few remote areas I can get to in the winter where a wheeler can't go. Finally, there are some bodies of water I fish where they specifically prohibit "wheeled vehicles", but a sled is acceptable. So that is how I reason it out, but to be honest, 95% of the time I am jealous of the guys with wheelers.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:14 AM »
Lighter the better man. The lighter it is, the earlier u can put it on the ice.

I am not overly concerned about that, I generally don't hit the ice till there is a minimum of 6-8".  I just can't get comfortable on less than that.

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:17 AM »
Sled without a doubt, they will drive on any surface and will be the cheapest route. Only concern of driving a sled for amlong time with little to no snow is overheating and ruining a $20 pair of hyfax (can always add idler wheels to keep the track off of the hyfax). A 4 wheeler in snow is a concern, i once got mine buried and had to leave it for a few days until the snow hardened up enough to get traction to get it out, and putting tracks on in place of the tires is very expensive (over $3,000 for a new set). Dollar for dollar, a sled is the best route without a doubt.

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:25 AM »
You didn't mention if you need to trailer/transport the Quad or ATV to the lakes you fish?   Having to deal with a trailer can factor in here as well.  I own both and use both for ice fishing in different situations.

For me I tend to use the ATV a little more because of the trailer situation,  takes me a lot less time to run it up in my utility trailer and throw some fishing gear in with it and take off.  With my sled I need to put it on my two place snowmobile trailer and it is always hard to strap down things like a flip over etc (always afraid they will  fly off on the road), so I end up packing everything in the back of my truck.  With the ATV and utility trailer I can put a bunch of items in it with it and keep the truck pretty free.    Again if only 1 I use my ATV year round even for small things around the house.   But if deep snow or glare ice, the sled is nice to have.

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:27 AM »
If you are on a lake that gets a fair amount of snow you would be better off with a sled, deep snow or slush the only way to go is a snowmobile. You can find a good running sled for a good price with less issues than a used quad.  I bought a used 1997 Polaris Indy 500 Tour Classic about 5 years for $1200.00, I have put a cargo carrier, ski skins, and studs on the track.  Check your local paper or even eBay that's where I found my sled. You can also travel farther faster on a sled than you can with a quad.

“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:29 AM »
You didn't mention if you need to trailer/transport the Quad or ATV to the lakes you fish?   Having to deal with a trailer can factor in here as well.  I own both and use both for ice fishing in different situations.

For me I tend to use the ATV a little more because of the trailer situation,  takes me a lot less time to run it up in my utility trailer and throw some fishing gear in with it and take off.  With my sled I need to put it on my two place snowmobile trailer and it is always hard to strap down things like a flip over etc (always afraid they will  fly off on the road), so I end up packing everything in the back of my truck.  With the ATV and utility trailer I can put a bunch of items in it with it and keep the truck pretty free.    Again if only 1 I use my ATV year round even for small things around the house.   But if deep snow or glare ice, the sled is nice to have.

I will have to trailer, I drive a Tahoe so regardless of my choice it will have to be trailered.

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:32 AM »
I have both and if I had to chose it would be the sled!!!!!!

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Me personally I would go with an ATV. It can be used to plow driveways side walks get you around on the ice and in deep snow years you can put tracks on it. In non winter months you never know once you have it if it will become a new found hobby. You might decide you want to do trail rides or you end up hunting somewhere else and need one or you or a friend get a tag to hunt out of state and would need it.... But if your a winter hobby guy you have trial ridding with a sled and you can snowmobile into a cabin or lake where an ATV couldn't go.... You just need to think if you find it to be something you will try to get your $ worth and will make it a hobby....

Good luck with your search

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:53 AM »
I would also suggest an ATV.  I stick with the ATV, mainly because I use it all year.  I have yet to find snow too deep for my machine.  Sleds have their place too.  If I lived in an area with more snow I may have both. 

If you go with an ATV, get a set of tire chains.  Best $70 I have spent for ice travel.

Offline sped28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:03 AM »
i live in ne sd and i wouldnt be without my quad its on the ice all the time

Offline perch killer12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Quad ;D

Offline CDN ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Quad and if ya need to put a track kit on it for the snow. Go anywhere anytime of year then.

Offline WIhoundguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:48 AM »
I'm not sure what you would call it, but it's both.
WiHoundguy

Offline CDN ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:41 AM »
I have the same set-up but in Yamaha Rhino and with tracks on the front not ski's. It goes anywhere!!!!

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2013, 11:33 PM »
If I had to choose between the two I would get an atv for the utility purpose outside of ice fishing. That said, I just bought one (after not having one for a while) and on the hunt for a good used 2-up sled. When winter hits (in NH) most of the trails forbid atvs so it is less utility in the winter except for ice fishing. LOTS of trails for sleds up here.

Both have pros and cons and I have pushed both back across the ice. Neither were fun but the sled was a lot harder on the back to push / drag. With no snow on the ice an atv can best (but you can still modify your sled for this). Deep snow and an atv will struggle and sled is best. We have had years with snow that kept even your tallest clearing atvs from going far.

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2013, 03:44 PM »
There is no snow here an man do i wish i had a quad... sleds if there is alot of snow and 4x4 quads with studded tires on bare ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.