Author Topic: Eskimo Quickfish 4 Review  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Quickfish 4 Review
« on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:57 AM »
I finally got my Quickfish 4. Setup was easy with 2 people but on the ice, I think setup will be tough in the wind. I do not plan to move to often with this hut, as I'm sure putting in 8 anchors will take time. This hut will fish 4 people if everyone is in a corner on a bucket seat, with one hole each. 3 people can fit very well with a good amount of room. It has 8 large windows. 6 of the windows are at eye level while sitting down and the other 2 are at eye level when standing up. It comes with a cold air barrier to insulate the roof. Its not hard to set up, but too bad it was not permanently attached so you don't have to drag it out with you. If you do not want to use it, it can be left at home on those warm days. The best thing about this hut is its height. Its 92 inches tall. At 6 foot 3, I can stand up anywhere even with the cold air barrier up. Many of the other huts I tried I could not stand up in, or only stand in the middle. The next best thing is the doors. There are 2 of them and they are huge. All the other huts I tried, I had to bend over and walk in sideways to fit in. This was tough and would be tougher with winter clothes on. This hut, I just walk straight in with out any problems. The doors also has good quality zippers. The 2 storage pockets are nice for small itesms like gloves and a jig box.  The backpack case is OK but awkward to carry. I can't see the straps lasting too long so I will need to put out it in the sled. My only complaint about the hut is I thought the windows would have been a little thicker. They are removable and replaceable though. I am used to the thick windows on the Otter huts. I did not like the huts I saw where the windows were built into the hut. Its nice to get some extra air on those warm days. Also nice to pull out the windows while cooking. Overall, I think its a great hut for 3 to fish in comfort. This hut is definitely designed for the larger person. I can't wait to get it on the ice to see how it performs.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Eskimo Quickfish 4 Review
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Very nice, did the Canada chair come with it?

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2012, 10:03 AM »
Amazing how BIG they are when you set them up in the house. I have a QF3.
They shrink some on the ice, though. :) You'll be surprised how fast the anchors drill in.
Moving's not a big deal. Even in the wind.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Very nice, did the Canada chair come with it?

No. I found the chair in the garage and thought it was a perfect match.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2012, 11:58 AM »
I really like my QF4.  It does seem to shrink up on the ice.  3 guys is getting a little much.  Be careful with the windows when it gets really cold.  I had 2 shatter when it was -20F..but Eskimo replaced them free of charge.  Also, the insulated roof works well for wrapping the tent up tight to get it into the bag...just roll it snug. 
  BE THERE!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:34 PM »
i have the fat fish949

same principle as QF4.

100% love it.  sooo easy to set up. did it by my self all last year. if its windy just anchor down the windy sides. 

just make sure to bring it in to your basement or what ever to thaw out after a trip.

i think the 949 is perfect for one man.  2 is crowded .   im thinking the qf4 would be somewhat the same.

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2012, 04:09 PM »
I really like my QF4.  It does seem to shrink up on the ice.  3 guys is getting a little much.  Be careful with the windows when it gets really cold.  I had 2 shatter when it was -20F..but Eskimo replaced them free of charge.  Also, the insulated roof works well for wrapping the tent up tight to get it into the bag...just roll it snug.

Thanks for the warning. I did read that windows are rated to -15F. It usually does not get that cold here so hopefully will be OK. Do you think removing the windows before taking down will make them last longer?

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:55 PM »
My windows actually cracked when I was setting it up in the morning.  If you knew it was going to be really cold, you could take them out at home and then put them in when you got the tent set up on the lake.  That way they wont be folded or bunched up while they are brittle.
  BE THERE!

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:13 PM »
i love mine just use all the anchers if its really windy out :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2012, 10:57 PM »
I've fit three guys in my four man ice cube it's the same width. we used the fold out chairs without the arm rest and it worked fine but you will be shoulder to shoulder.

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2012, 09:12 PM »
I tried putting chairs and people inside with all my gear to get an idea of how many could fish. I found the best way to fit 3 people  is to have 2 people on the back wall in opposite corners. The third person will be in the middle of the opposite side. I also put a small table and a buddy on the end in front  of the middle person on the end. The buddy heater fits in front of the table. Because the middle is wider each person will have about the same amount of room. I am use to fishing with 1-2 others in a 3 man flip over and you definitely get more room in the hub style.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:44 AM »
I have fished with three in my QF4 with no problem. At least with a QF4 you can have all ypur gear inside with you. Sure beats my two man flip.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.