Author Topic: Best flasher for the money  (Read 19522 times)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
Re: Best flasher for the money
« Reply #30 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I know with my 35 if I go out with my uncle and his lx-5 after 20 min within 30 feet of him I wanna throw it down the hole lol. Granted this is usually on a very small pond so I don't know what it would be like on a bigger body of water.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:03 AM »
the key is only having 1 guy mess with the IR.   if everyone is pushing ir buttons it goes bananas and everyone is frustrated.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:39 AM »
I wouldn't be pissed at the Marcum. I fish without IR if I'm just with my buddy and have no problems with my marcum. Vexilars have no problem with it, Humminbirds do but I'm not going to turn off my flasher because of what you bought.

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I do like my Vex.   I enjoy it and would recommend the zoom feature

Took the words outta my mouth...zoom is a great feature!!!!!  That would be the number one thing that I would recommend in a flasher! :tipup: :tipup:
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #34 on: Oct 29, 2012, 12:23 PM »
The only real advantage I would give to the bird 35 is that dual beam transducer. If you fish in anything over 20 FOW thats a big advantage.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 29, 2012, 01:14 PM »
I'm going to step out on a limb here and say----buy a good unit for your boat that has the capability of using a "ice ducer" for winter fishing.  I have a bird 788ci and love it,use it for both summer and winter fishing and it has gps too.  Just switch it from the boat to the hand carried pack.  I used to use the "flasher mode" but switched to the regular open water mode and love seeing the fish raise off the bottom to smack your jig.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 29, 2012, 01:28 PM »
I do not understand why so many people are stuck on just a couple brands, when a well known brand has every thing you need and more;

I found the Garmin 300C Fish Finder to have all the features that I was looking for; Color with a high pixel count, a gain that lets me see tiny jigs in 40+ feet of water, a split screen with ZOOM, a flasher screen if I needed it, but best of all, all for about $200.00.  It does not come or have available from Garmin an “Ice Transducer”, but Ice Shanty is full of ways to get around that. Now that I have used it a number of times, I can say that it performed very well. NO lag what so ever.  I did not get to try it around other user, so I can not speak about interference, but for me that is not a problem. I did on a couple occasions in very shallow water have trouble with the bounce back from the ice, all I needed to do was restart and it went away. Not a real problem for me, I really use a sounder in 4 ft of water, but I was testing the unit out… I use 2 rechargeable 6 volt batteries ($20 total) in series for a total of 9 amps (cheaper than 1, 7 amp 12 volt battery). I tested the batteries for about 18 hour in two days and still had not gotten the batteries below 11.5 volts (unit works down to 10 volts).
It would not be the right unit for every one, but it has almost all the features of units selling for twice the money and will work even better for open water use.
Specs;

Display size, WxH:    2.1" x 2.8", 3.5" diagonal
Display resolution, WxH:    240 x 320 pixels
Display type:    QVGA
Weight:    9.6 oz (272 g)
Waterproof:    yes (IPX7)
Features and Benefits:
Audible alarms:    yes
Dual-beam sonar capable :    yes
Split-screen zoom:    yes
Ultrascroll® (displays fish targets at higher boat speeds):    yes
Fish Symbol ID (helps identify fish targets):    yes
AutoGain Technology (minimizes clutter, maximizes targets):    yes
Whiteline (indicates hard or soft bottom):    yes
Adjustable depth line (measures depth of underwater objects):    yes
Bottom lock (shows return from the bottom up):    yes
Water temperature log and graph:    yes
Water temperature sensor included:    yes
Water speed capable (displays speed on water):    yes

Frequency:    80/200 kHz (dual beam)
Transmit power:    Dual Beam, 150 W (RMS), 1,200 Watts (peak to peak)
Voltage range:    10-20 VDC
Maximum depth:    900 ft (dual beam)
Cone angle:    45° or 15° (dual beam)
One of the reasons for the long posting is to point out that there are many choices, not just the same ones most other anglers are using.
Tight Line!

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Oct 29, 2012, 04:17 PM »
The biggest reason I do not think garmin units are popular among ice anglers is because they were not designed to be used on the ice. They are made for soft water. Its kind of a pain to get the boat transducers level and a lot of people fish with others and worry about interference. If budget is your biggest concern you can make almost any unit work on the ice but you'll have to make compromises.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.