The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: hub style shelter  (Read 881 times)

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
hub style shelter
« on: Oct 14, 2012, 08:40 PM »
I am selling my flip over style shelter, because using in high winds is allways a problem.I am looking at a Clam thermal or a Frabil thermal.Have not seen side by side for quality to really decide.Does anyone know which is better or does it make any difference?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: hub style shelter
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2012, 10:19 AM »
I think its really going to come down to which one YOU like the most...I like Black over Blue and would base it on price also...but that's just me...

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2012, 01:53 PM »
To say I fish a lot would be the understatement of the decade :) so my gear gets put to pretty hard use. Last year I decided to go with a 4 man shelter made by the ground blind company killzone because it was a lot cheaper than the clam or frabil ones were. So far it has held up great, this will be its second year on the ice so I will see if it continues to hold up to fishing several times a week like I was doing all last year.

On the pro side it was cheap (about $130 with shipping) and has held up nicely so far, on the con side, their idea of 4 man is my idea of two guys plus all their gear inside because who wants to go outside your shelter to grab something? not me. It fits me, the GF and my two little boys nicely though so maybe if two of the "men" are under 12 it is a true four man shelter.

I am not sure how it stacks up to a clam or frabil quality wise because I haven't had the opportunity to check them out side by side. I imagine something about it is cheaper for sure or how else could they get by with selling it for so much less? but for what I needed it works great.

One tip on something that has worked great for me. When setting up in the wind you need to get at least one ice anchor in right away and you want to get the others in as fast as possible so I carry one of those old hand drills from before power tools like what you work with when you are building a cabin with no electricity etc. and I have a drill bit in it that is a bit smaller in diameter than my ice screws and I use it to put starter holes for my ice screws in to the ice. Lets me get my shelter up even in high wind relatively quickly with a minimal amount of swearing and no need for batteries :)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2012, 11:38 AM »
I have the old Easton Ice Cube(black) got it brand new shipped for under 180.00.  I do like the new thermal material idea, although they are much heavier than the standard weight RipStop Nylon.  I have had mine since the winter of 2006-07 and my hubs don't work as well as they did when it was new.  I have done zero maintenance on it also.  I can still put the shelter up in under 2 minutes on a calm day.  I like the Black because it is dark even on bright days, better visibility into the hole.  The Blue or Red ones do let more light in, but not much...like I stated before this is really going to come down to personal preference.

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2012, 12:34 PM »
I have the old Easton Ice Cube(black) got it brand new shipped for under 180.00.  I do like the new thermal material idea, although they are much heavier than the standard weight RipStop Nylon.  I have had mine since the winter of 2006-07 and my hubs don't work as well as they did when it was new.  I have done zero maintenance on it also.  I can still put the shelter up in under 2 minutes on a calm day.  I like the Black because it is dark even on bright days, better visibility into the hole.  The Blue or Red ones do let more light in, but not much...like I stated before this is really going to come down to personal preference.

Good Fishing :tipup:

I heard but I am not sure if it is true or not that Easton sold their design etc. to killzone and in 2010 killzone changed some stuff e.g. used heavier fabric, and heavier duty fiberglass poles and so on. I heard they did this for several Easton ground blinds types as well as the ice shelter. If they didn't then killzone pretty much straight ripped off their design, especially the turret ground blind.

The reason I found this out is I was looking for an ice cube like yours but found out they were no longer made by easton so I tracked down who was supposedly making them now and that is what I bought. Mine is so dark blue that it looks black except in direct sunlight but that may be simply that they changed fabric type. On a calm day I would say that like you I can get mine up in about two minutes or so. Then getting everything adjusted inside to my liking so I can sit in my chair and reach everything I need and have my heater going probably takes ten minutes or more :)

I have heard if your poles do break ever that it is cheapest to replace them with a fiberglass driveway marker stake and that they work just fine. Given how hard I am on my gear I would bet I will end up having to try this eventually :)

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2012, 04:45 PM »
I have the exact same hub (killzone 4x) as you Andy, got it last fall, and it has been flawless.
You're right about the 4 man thing tho, 2 & gear is about perfect.
Get bit!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.