The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fresno  (Read 979 times)

strgon84

Fresno
« on: Oct 02, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Has anyone been fishing Fresno this summer. there seems to be alot of pike up there. I was fishing last saturday for perch and couldnt keepem off the line, broken lines etc. caught three walleye and two perch with my six year old, that was cool. he had a blast with the pike until they cut the line. The biggest landed was 32 incher. If a person were to target pike, what a trip theyd have.

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fresno
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Peck is the same way...

strgon84

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2012, 10:18 PM »
Not that catching northerns is a bad thing, just not sure how to clean them yet.  I fished up there most all last winter and had some fantastic walleye action with very few pike, unless of course, you were targeting them. All fun, especially with the youngsters. Thinking of buying a clam summit 4 person shanty, any thoughts.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Not that catching northerns is a bad thing, just not sure how to clean them yet.  I fished up there most all last winter and had some fantastic walleye action with very few pike, unless of course, you were targeting them. All fun, especially with the youngsters. Thinking of buying a clam summit 4 person shanty, any thoughts.

Just get a sharp fillet knife and fillet away.  Once you get them off, cut out the y-bones and cook em up!
  BE THERE!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Just get a sharp fillet knife and fillet away.  Once you get them off, cut out the y-bones and cook em up!

This is one of the best ways I have found to easily remove the Y bones from Pike.

http://gf.nd.gov/fishing/removing-y-bones-northern-pike

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Fresno is LOADED with pike. Seems to be a spike in the last few years in the numbers.

MTA

strgon84

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:07 AM »
Ive noticed a definite spike in the northern population up there since last year. there was a guy down the line from me who was casting a small jig and catching a northern a cast. I kept those two that swallowed the hook and watched a youtube video on how to clean them. pretty easy really, especially if there bigger. Loading up with minnows and going back up sat morning at 4:00. Looking forward to it.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2012, 11:30 AM »
Where do you guys fish on Fresno?  I've thought about trekking over there a couple times...just haven't made it.   Would love to try some new Pike water!

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Ive noticed a definite spike in the northern population up there since last year. there was a guy down the line from me who was casting a small jig and catching a northern a cast. I kept those two that swallowed the hook and watched a youtube video on how to clean them. pretty easy really, especially if there bigger. Loading up with minnows and going back up sat morning at 4:00. Looking forward to it.
    can you use live bait there "minnows"
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

strgon84

« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I figured someone would catch that.  no you cant use live minnows on the lake but down below below you sure can. Ive only fished the lake once last winter with a hand auger in about 8-12 inches of ice. That wont happen again, I made it through about 4 holes and quit. thats alot of work. need to purchase a propane one a buddy of mine bought last year. what a difference.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.