The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Just joined  (Read 733 times)

strgon84

Just joined
« on: Sep 27, 2012, 07:22 AM »
My family and I moved to Great Falls about 2 years ago from eastern Washington where we used to fish for white sturgeon
salmon and steelhead.  Last winter I caught a few walleye but would like to catch more this coming winter. I still need a shanty and auger and all that good stuff any Ideas.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Just joined
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2012, 07:35 AM »
First, welcome to the site. Its a great place with lots of great people. Go to the main board and scroll down to equipment for good ideas. Second, if you are just starting out Ice fishing and are on a budget. I reccomend a 6 inch hand auger and a hub style shanty. They are both light weight, cheap in price but get the job done. Also, polar tip-up (the flat type  :tipup: ) are relatively inexpensive but work excellent for fishing.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2012, 08:19 AM »
X2 on the WELCOME!!  If you have questions, just ask!! This is the best ice head site on the web!!! :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: ;)2 :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2012, 08:58 AM »
welcome, and X2 on the hub style shanty.  i got one last year...light, quick set up and tear down, and plenty of room.  i always fish with my cousin so there's someone to help with the set up and tear down and was happy more than once when it was windy...could be a major pain if you fish alone.  not sure about where you're at....but there's usually an abundance of augers on craigslist. 

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty,  the best ice fishing site on the web.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Welcome to the shanty and the addiction it is. And you sed yo have a family , if you have small kids you might want to look at building a perminent shack, maybe not for this season but upcomeing seasons. It just mackes it that much more comftorable and as log as you are warm then you can have fun. As for finding gear check your local craigslist there are usually some good deals on there.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2012, 03:08 PM »
My family and I moved to Great Falls about 2 years ago from eastern Washington where we used to fish for white sturgeon
salmon and steelhead.  Last winter I caught a few walleye but would like to catch more this coming winter. I still need a shanty and auger and all that good stuff any Ideas.

Welcome to MT.  If you need some gear, check Craigslist.  I just saw some stuff in Great Falls there the other day.  Good luck.
  BE THERE!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2012, 05:38 PM »
welcome to ice shanty

strgon84

« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Hey everyone, Thanks for all the welcomes and tips on ice shantys. I already have a hand auger but man what a work out.
looking for a propane powered auger. A buddy at work bought one last winter and loves it.  Ice fishing in washington isnt as big a thing as here in montana so id better gear up.  I fished below fresno last winter and did pretty good because it was always open water, used a ground blind and portable heater. I sure do miss the big sturgeon of the snake river. maybe next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.