Author Topic: Ice Suits  (Read 9245 times)

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Suits
« on: Jul 25, 2012, 10:49 AM »
I need to purchase some new ice fishing outer wear.  What is new this year?  What has been improved  on since last winter?
I fish in minus 25C / minus 15 F.

Comments.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Suits
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Not sure of any new suits this year but I know that Frabill has won best new apparel the last two years at iCast for there Frabill Suit and Frabill Icesuit. I just picked up the Frabill Suit this year. It is a lightweight suit designed for layering underneath. In your case I probably would go with the Icesuit or even the Snosuit which is there top of the line suit.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2012, 11:45 AM »
I went with the Stryker Ice lite suit last season and for half the price of the Frabill suits, I have a Weatherproof, Warm, Dry suit that vents access heat really well and because it floats, I stand a better then average chance of making it home to my family in case trouble on the ice ! Good luck with whatever brand suit that you choose !

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2012, 01:11 PM »
The latest and greatest won't be out for awhile. Wait for the season to start to find the new stuff in the magazines or online. Last year there was a pole on who wore what for ice fishing, but because not everyone has your conditions, it is best to consult the alaska board or canadian brothers for the best advice. I like my Artic carharts, but may not like them without a shanty in those conditions. In my opinion, whatever suit you get, you will be stuck with it till it wears out, so make a good choice for the way you fish.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Arctic Carharts!    ;D  Good stuff!!

Slick
DCC(SW/MTS) US Navy retired 75-95

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2012, 10:44 PM »
My Striker Ice Lite suit was great last year, it never got quite that cold where i was fishing last year.  you may want to check out the heavier Striker Ice suit, but i was never cold in my ICE LITE suit last season.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice.   I am also looking for a good supplier.  I'll have to mail order regardless of who I purchase from.

Tom
Stay safe  ....    Tom

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Here is a link for Shawn at Stryker, he will set you right up !

Contact Shawn Knodt at 651-788-9858 or by email at [email protected]

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Tony,

Thanks  .....  Tom
Stay safe  ....    Tom

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Shawn is a real hot ticket, he answered every single question I threw at him about the suits and then some !  :thumbsup:

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2012, 03:14 PM »
I received an email from Shawn.   Some interesting new product coming out this year  ........
Stay safe  ....    Tom

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2012, 07:11 AM »
I received an email from Shawn.   Some interesting new product coming out this year  ........
And it is............ ? ;D

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2012, 11:43 AM »
Check out strikers facebook page.....theres some hints at the new product! I got filled in lastnight from our staff coordinator. I cant wait to view the samples in the near future!

We also have a few contests going on, on the FB page as well! dont forget to get in on them!

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Just got done chatting with Shawn also - I was all set to roll on a last season Striker, but now I'm holding for a few weeks to see the "new" surprise. 

(doesn't really matter, I'm still getting a Striker set this fall - the question is which one).   ;D

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 08, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Id like to upgrade from my carhart bibs, but I cant get over not having the pockets on the sides. All the suits Ive tried on have the front pockets more in front of the legs. They are nice and big and are nice for storing things, but I like my pockets on the sides to warm my hands. Just feels right to me.  :-\

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Aug 08, 2012, 05:59 PM »
They have to put them on the front of the legs so the zippers come up to the waist so you can put them on without having to take your boots off !

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Aug 08, 2012, 06:45 PM »
They have to put them on the front of the legs so the zippers come up to the waist so you can put them on without having to take your boots off !

Didnt think of that. Here in Indiana, it doesnt get near as cold as it does up by you northern boys so I dont really NEED an extreme suit anyways. I wouldnt mind havin just the bibs though because they are waterproof. My legs are sometimes wet after a long day on the ice!

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Aug 08, 2012, 07:01 PM »
I'm was really surprised by both how light the suit is and how much warmer and comfortable I was compared to my old Arctic Armor suit and the Stryker lite suit was half the money, it like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari !  ;)2 The new Stryker suit for this year is in camo and the insulation is removable for the warmer days !

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Surf,

It will be nice to read the full info on their new products.  I don't "do" facebook so I'll have to wait to there are postings
on Striker's home page.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 09, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Surf,

It will be nice to read the full info on their new products.  I don't "do" facebook so I'll have to wait to there are postings
on Striker's home page.
X2---- I'm glad to see that I'm not alone on not doing Facebook!!  This is my Icebook, and it's all I need!! :clap: :flex: ;)2 :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2012, 12:34 PM »
I ordered an Arctic Armour suit through Riverside Outdoors last winter, he's out of Ontario and a sponsor on that board. I really like the suit, it was incredibly warm, even down to -30. They've been reviewed on here quite a few times, both good and bad, I'm happy with mine for the record. I've ordered plenty of stuff through Riverside Outdoors and have been super happy with price and shipping time/costs.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2012, 09:12 PM »
X2---- I'm glad to see that I'm not alone on not doing Facebook!!  This is my Icebook, and it's all I need!! :clap: :flex: ;)2 :whistle:
Same here.  Had to borrow the wiff's account to see what it was.  No Bookface for me!

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Aug 20, 2012, 08:58 AM »
We are 2/3 the way through August and I am  anxiously awaiting news on the release of the new winter line of ice suits.
I think what I am reading on line is all last years product.  I would assume this winters new product would be referred to as 2013?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Iam getting the Frabill Snosuit this year. I haven't used my portable in three years. Ive been using the Vex Cold Snap suit which is a great suit but I need something warmer since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years ago.
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline Skinnybenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasin' Only Monsters,Catchin' Only Bait
« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Striker Just Released some of there 2012-13 line and they are awesome! But then again im pretty biased as i have one and love it to death
Give a man a Fish,Feed him for a day:Teach Him to Fish And He will Be Preoccupied the rest of his Life

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Aug 24, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Where did you see the new gear?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Aug 24, 2012, 12:21 PM »
I found them  ...  they have updated their site.    "Striker Ice Bibs (Floating)"  Improved super-strong crotch panel (new)  ......  yes.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #27 on: Aug 24, 2012, 03:50 PM »
I just got my Striker Lake Effect in the mail yesterday. I can't wait to see how it handles this brutal cold hard ice season coming up! :thumbsup:

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2012, 05:30 PM »
I am looking very hard at the Striker Ice Hardwater (floating)  Jacket and Bibs.  I am still trying to figure out sizing.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Aug 24, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Call them up and talk to Shawn...He is working the state fair booth right now so it may take a week to get back to ya, but he will get you what size you need.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.