The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: I've switched  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've switched
« on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:57 PM »
I see some familiar faces over at Myfishfinder.com but not everyone has given up on ice I suppose.........Just came in from the garage and all the ice gear is stored for the year......during the summer the auger will go in for some work and a new set of blades for the bottom end and ready for ice again. BUT, for now......doing a little on the boat everyday and getting ready for a good rain to warm the water and start the spring frenzy..........

Come on over........the water's fine!!!!  lol

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I've switched
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2012, 08:49 PM »
i'm with you Robbi..but have to always check on iceshanty...im addicted!!

like 'eye said robbi..if you have an extra auger throw it in!!!hand or power!

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:27 PM »
I was hopin to make it back in time for one last weekend on the ice, but i dont think its goin to happen, time to break out the bamboo and start beatin the water to a froth.

Molon Labe

Offline sydwayz04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:09 PM »
yep was up at hylite today still some good ice there but going quick, just took the dog on a hike today but came back across the lake, there were still a few people out there poking holes but dont know how they were doing???  i have fished the rivers around bozeman the last 10 of 12 days and dam i cant believe how many fish i am pulling out every trip, its fun but kinda bored catching so many fish already, no chalenge, oh well time to learn some new places

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Kool.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2012, 08:07 AM »
sydwayz04, what kind of fish? or is that left up too the imagination..... ;D
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2012, 12:14 PM »
Rivers around bozeman, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say stocked rainbows...duck slayer good work on the perch this year, if I could justify it I'd love to try cascade sometime, even huge perch are a pretty small fish for that kinda trip though.

Offline frostylemonade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Negative -  Montana doesn't stock fish in rivers.  I'd guess wild rainbows with a few browns thrown in

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2012, 03:52 PM »
I stand corrected, there's a pretty interesting read on the Fwp website about the reason why they don't stock rivers.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 10:50 PM »
Negative -  Montana doesn't stock fish in rivers.  I'd guess wild rainbows with a few browns thrown in

I would beg to differ on that. Fish have been stocked for many years in rivers and many different ones.

Offline greyling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:23 PM »
I would beg to differ on that. Fish have been stocked for many years in rivers and many different ones.
Prove it
"No life is so happy and so pleasant as the life of the well-govern'd angler." - Izaak Walton

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2012, 11:37 PM »
Google it, there's a really good read on the Fwp website. Montana does not stock rivers.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2012, 12:13 PM »
Just a few short years ago FWP stocked the Yellowstone with cutthroat trout  from Billings to Columbus.   And Greyling, on the Big Hole with Artic Greyling to get them to recover in that system. I've fished there my whole life and it's tributaries and we would never see Greyling in the rivers. We would only catch them in the lakes up high.    So they do stock fish in whatever stream they damn well please at any given time.  Remember it's the government you're dealing with, it wouldn't be the first time nor the last they say they don't do something when they actually do.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2012, 05:13 PM »
Montana FWP does not currently actively STOCK rivers with put and take fish (AKA truck trout) like many other places do.  They do however plant fish in some rivers in some areas in an effort to reestablish native fisheries.  In the past however there were rivers that were planted with fish on a put and take basis.  They found that these fish did not winter over well and were for the most part no existent in the following years.  This also suppressed the native fish due to competition for food stocks so in the end the rivers and streams were in a poorer shape after stocking than before stocking.  Stocked put and take trout have a better holdover capability in lakes and reservoirs as seen in Holter where the stocker's get large and up to 5-8 pounds in just a couple of years.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up Jay. I never said they stock everything, they do supplement the numbers of species where needed though.  They do it with bigger critters as well. They just did it with bighorn sheep from the breaks to the Helena area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.