The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Don't follow this link if you addicted to Perch Fishing like I am...  (Read 1144 times)

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Count me in, but only for boating season..........lol

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
I hunt waterfowl around Last Mountain every year in October, I really want to fish it too. Found out we are right by the prime fishing areas on the lake. Taking rods with me this year(maybe a boat if I can get someone else to pull my Deek trailer up). The guys I go with own a house 20 minutes from the ramp, maybe they would give us a good deal on rent Mike. :icefish: :icefish:

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Last Mountain is one of the places on my "to do" list.......been looking alot on line trying to figure out just how to go about it.......

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
I hunt waterfowl around Last Mountain every year in October, I really want to fish it too. Found out we are right by the prime fishing areas on the lake. Taking rods with me this year(maybe a boat if I can get someone else to pull my Deek trailer up). The guys I go with own a house 20 minutes from the ramp, maybe they would give us a good deal on rent Mike. :icefish: :icefish:

So all you need is a guy with a hitch and ball and he gets to tag along.... hmmmm.....    :whistle:   I just might happen to know a guy!   ;)

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
I'm in.  Any time.  Ice or open water.  I have seen HUGE walleye and perch pictures from there.

http://youtu.be/E64Hu1bxieA

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
While the artcile mentions "Last Mountain" it does not specifically say that is where these fish were caught...at least thats the way I read it..."Saskatchewan, Lake Winnipeg, Lake Manitoba and Last Mountain Lake are superb perch fisheries offering both numbers of fish and trophies to boot.

Indeed, we have so many easy perch fishing opportunities at our doorsteps that it is hard sometimes to leave them alone and go a little bit off the beaten path."

..."But, exploring off the beaten path is what Winnipeg-based buddies Tom Van Leeuwen and Mike Schamber have been doing the past week and they have discovered what just might be the finest perch fishery anywhere on earth.

Needless to say, I’ve already got a trip planned with them come “first ice” next winter, but until then, mum’s the word, and I am going to have to satisfy my perch cravings by looking at these pics!

The bottom line of course, is that it always pays to stray from the beaten path, and try fishing new waters.   Many times you strike out chasing false dreams, but then again, you only have to win like this on occasion to make it all worthwhile.

I say we find the writer, do some reccy work, find out where he "goes" next year with these two guys, and INVADE CANADA!!!

Or, maybe we just ask them "pretty please" if we can do a Perch Assault there??? ;)
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mike.......I knew they were talking secret locales.......but I've seen some awesome pics and stories from Last Mountain......once I figure out where to start and get that dang passport card.......I'm there!!!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
Mike.......I knew they were talking secret locales.......but I've seen some awesome pics and stories from Last Mountain......once I figure out where to start and get that dang passport card.......I'm there!!!

I am going to the big outdoor show in Calgary the 22/23rd...I will be doing some "fishtel" and seeing if I can get some insider info!

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
Going to Last Mountain this coming fall.  Parents surprised us with a trip they bought at the Pikemasters Banquet here in Billings.  Only dilemma is whether to use the resorts boats or bring mine?!  Wait, what am I thinking... Of course I'm taking mine!  With all the money and upgrades I've sunk into it the past few years I'd be a fool to leave that parked in the driveway while I'm chasing monster pike/walleye/perch or whatever else is hungry.  Besides, if I left it at home the whole time I'd be kicking myself for not bringing it!  I know it's quite a few months off, but I'll be sure and post a firsthand report as soon as I'm back.  If anyone else goes PLEASE post on the Montana boards here or on MFF of your success.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but as you may be able to already tell I'm giddy as a schoolgirl ;D - OH

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
Wish I was going with you.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline icing_perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah getting off the beaten path is a good thing to do when looking for quality perch.  I hit a few new lakes this year and did pretty good at them for size and numbers.  One lake I had fished before but didn't have much faith in it but tried it again.  Had just about given up when I saw the actual size of the fish coming out of it first hand.  Needless to say after drilling about 20 more holes and moving I started getting into the fish I had been hearing about.  In my lifetime before this winter I had only caught a handfull of perch over a pound or 12 inches.  I hit a lake this winter with my father that I had heard about and been interested in for a few years and finally went.  We caught over 130 perch in 1 1/2 days of being there.  18 were between 3/4-1 lb and we had 15 over a pound with the biggest going 1lb 6oz.  The funny thing is the biggest one was only 12 1/4 inches long.  So yes it pays to get off the beaten path.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
Yeah getting off the beaten path is a good thing to do when looking for quality perch.  I hit a few new lakes this year and did pretty good at them for size and numbers.  One lake I had fished before but didn't have much faith in it but tried it again.  Had just about given up when I saw the actual size of the fish coming out of it first hand.  Needless to say after drilling about 20 more holes and moving I started getting into the fish I had been hearing about.  In my lifetime before this winter I had only caught a handfull of perch over a pound or 12 inches.  I hit a lake this winter with my father that I had heard about and been interested in for a few years and finally went.  We caught over 130 perch in 1 1/2 days of being there.  18 were between 3/4-1 lb and we had 15 over a pound with the biggest going 1lb 6oz.  The funny thing is the biggest one was only 12 1/4 inches long.  So yes it pays to get off the beaten path.

:clap: :thumbsup:

Offline fortybelow

• IceShanty Rookie
I guess I was warned.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.