Author Topic: storing the snowmobile help?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
storing the snowmobile help?
« on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:20 PM »
this is my first year owning a sled (that I never got to use) and I was wondering what is the best way to summerize a sled. Should I drain all gas out of it and run it dry or fill it up? is there anything else I should be doing to protect the engine ect.? it is a 2007 arctic cat panther 4 stroke if that matters at all

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: storing the snowmobile help?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2012, 11:16 AM »
I know it may not be new to you, but where is the manual for the machine?  They don't cut down trees, make paper and ink for no reason.  The answers in the manual or at the dealer.   Otherwise you get opinions, they are like butt holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:01 PM »
I just fill the tank with fresh gas and treat it with Startron and Seafoam. Run the sled a few minutes to get the treated fuel into the carbs. I then charge the battery and put the cover on it.

I start it once a month in the summer and run it till it gets warm and shut it down.

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:34 PM »
doubles has some good advice. You should be fine with just seafoam or startron, get the track off the ground, grease up all your fittings, clean her up.
if your area has rodents might not be a bad idea to throw a wod of steel wool or copper wool in the end of your tail pipe especially if left outside. Some mothballs in and around the engine compartmant. if your leaving it outside might want to yank the seat off and maybe the windshield and take them inside until needed next year. if your dont plan on starting it monthly might want to give the cylinders a sprits of fogging oil or mix. with plugs out pull over slowly 1/2 dz times to coat the cylinder walls. might smoke heavy for a few seconds when you start her up in spring but it will burn off quickly. cover her up and get prey for snow and ice to come early next winter! its snowing right now in CT. might have enought for a quick ride myself.

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Heres what I do, I don't have a four stroke sled, but have worked as a mech at an ooutboard dealer and this is how we did four stroke out boards, and this is how I do my sled, and have always had excellent luck, especially impoartant with this crap gas.

1) Stabilize your fuel! I use blue marine stabil, but startron and sea foam all work well.
2) Start sled with the track elevated, and let run till up to temp.
3) Shut off, let back on the ground, and use one of them shake able siphon hoses to empty the gas tank.
4) Remove the air box, and re-elevate the rear of the sled.
5) Start sled, and while running, spray engine foggin into the carb(s) or throttle body(s), if more than one, switch back and fourth frequently. Do this until the sled is out of gas, and running only on the fogging oil. It will smoke like crazy, and require a constant stream of oil to run when the gas is gone.
6) Try to get it to stall out on the oil, if you can't, just shut it off.
7) Remove plugs, and spray some oil down the cylinders, then roll over by hand. This will ensure the cylinder walls are left with a good coating of oil. Spraying through the throttle bodies while running, only coats the bottem end of the motor (crank  bearings and such)
8) Re-instal spark plugs, and air box.
9) With the sled still raised, grease all suspension and stearing componants, as well as jackshaft bearings if there is fittings.
10) Put sled back on the ground, and change chaincase oil with apropriate oil (whatever manufacturer requires) This may require removing the case cover, have plenty of rags ready. There will also be a "fill" level on the case.
11) If equiped with a battery, remove or at least disconnect from the leads. The battery should be charged about once a month throughout the storage period with a 2 amp trickle charger.

12) A four stroke sled motor uses motor oil to lubricate the bottom end of the motor. This should also be changed now as well. You will have to call a dealer for tips on how to do this for your specific sled.
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2012, 03:05 PM »
also, spray the undercarriage with wd40, it prevents rust & displaces water. i shoot the ski's,trailing arms & suspension every spring after i grease it.

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2012, 03:34 PM »
I'm with DS on this, I did the whole engine fog routine, what a pain ! It didn't make any bit of difference on how my sled ran at the start of the season except to buy plugs by the case !
 I run the Startron treated fuel thru the carbs and start her occasionally during the off season, spray exposed steel with WD-40 and call it good, Thats what works for me, just my .02 !

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:07 PM »
also, spray the undercarriage with wd40, it prevents rust & displaces water. i shoot the ski's,trailing arms & suspension every spring after i grease it.

Good idea. I forgot to mention that idea too. Helps protect everything exposed to salt.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:21 PM »
I have been doing the exact thing that Double Shooter does.I have done this for 37 years of owning snowmobiles.I also run mine once a month also to get freshened gas into the carb bowls.Just back from my first trip and after 564 miles, it never missed a beat.I tried the fogging and draining thing ( PIA!) once and never looked back.I also spray my chassis and undercarriage with silicone also.I also keep my battery on a Battery Tender all year to.Keeps the battery in a charged but not overcharged state.Just repalced the original battery in my 2004 Polaris.Good luck.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Good idea. I forgot to mention that idea too. Helps protect everything exposed to salt.

It is I hose down everything with it

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2012, 05:10 PM »
here's this buttholes 2 cents. only run gasoline with the blue, marine grade sta-bil and never the red.
seafoam is one of the best friends you will ever have in this world. 2 stroke, 4 stroke, gas or diesel. use it.
mothballs and or dryer sheets will slow down the critters from moving into your glove box and engine compartment.
an oily rag or oily steel wool in the output of the muffler will the mice and chipmunks from building a nest in your can.
i personally mix a bit of oil with my gas no matter what. around 100:1 in all my machinery. quads, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc.   don't know if it helps with an oil film or not but, gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling like i've done something good for the equipment.   sure can't hurt but, it's again, my 2 cents.
never put a plastic tarp on anything. the plastic can't breath and allows condensation to corrode your toy(s). a cloth cover, old bedsheet, etc is 10x better.
start, run, check your stored machinery at least monthly.
clean it well before you put it away.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.