Author Topic: How much line?  (Read 4199 times)

stumper1300

How much line?
« on: Feb 18, 2005, 01:16 PM »
How much line do i nned on my tip up?fishing mainly 15 ft or less,pike and walleyes.

stump

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How much line?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2005, 01:47 PM »
75' for all practical purposes in that kind of water... :)

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2005, 07:52 AM »
For most fishing 75 feet should do fine. However last weekend I fished Higgins and found that I didn't have nearly enough line to fish it. I now have two tip-ups with 300+ feet of 15 pound test dacron and I'm ready for those big lakers.
FTD

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2005, 12:08 PM »
I usually spool 100 yards of line on all my tip-ups if it will fit, doesnt hurt to have too much line, but sure can hurt if you have too little.   
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2005, 03:35 PM »
I usually spool 100 yards of line on all my tip-ups if it will fit, doesnt hurt to have too much line, but sure can hurt if you have too little.   
That's true, but there's no need for that much line if he's fishing 15-20 feet of water.

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2005, 03:40 PM »
I try to put as much as the spool will hold. Only because I learned my lesson once when I had a pike (at least I think it was) spool me while I was tending to another trap an after 5 minutes she was spooled out and lost a fish. I was in only 6 feet of water and 50 yards of line was out. I was pretty depressed reeling in line i did with no fish and a bent swivel. Oh what could have been.

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2005, 07:23 PM »
the amount of line you put on your tip up depends on what you are fishing for mainly. if you are fishing walleyes you usually fish in under 30 feet of water and for the most part dont take a lot of line. i have had walleyes that didnt take any line and never tripped the flag. they dont run much and 50 yards of line on your tip up is plenty. on the other hand lake trout fishing is the other extreme. most of the time you fish in deep water and lake trout love to take a lot of line. in this case 300 yards of line wouldnt hurt. many of the people that i fish with have different tip ups set up for different kinds of fish. you also want extra line on for pike too. they tend to like to run.

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2005, 07:45 PM »
i like about 50 yds because if the fish gets a chance to run and hits that stopping point it throws the hook deep in their mouth. if you use a little bit of line then make sure you got a good knot on the spool so they don't pull all that line and have it stuck hanging from their mouth.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:30 AM »
One other thing that some people seem to be forgetting.... The amount you "reel" in when you pack up is directly proportional to the diameter of the spool. The more line you've got on that spool, the fatter it is, and the more line you'll bring in with each turn when packing up for the day.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:48 AM »
Never thought of that, makes sense, though. :)

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:07 AM »
that makes sense if you are fishing deep water but its not that big of a deal if you are fishing shallow. its not that big of a deal to take an extra 10 secs to reel line in.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2005, 08:59 PM »
i put as much line as possible on. with 3 1/2 foot leaders..  and the more line on the spool, like he said, means u dont have to move ur hand as much ;D  (for us lazy cold handed icefishing guys)

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:58 AM »

I agree, and I fill mine right up because it also makes winding them up faster.
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:17 AM »
What ever comes on the spool from the store goes on the reel.

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2005, 12:46 PM »
I do not use my tip ups much and fish shallow as well maybe  to 60' max and just put some tape on the spool as backing and maybe 50 yards of line , seems to work F/ me.
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Fill it up.  The bigger the perceived diameter of the spool the less resistance to the fish as he takes line, and you have to complete fewer revs to wind it back on the spool.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:13 AM »
100 yrds 36 lb on most of my tip ups others have 200 yrds 20 lb.
  the larger diamiter is easyer on the hands with a large fish, plus it dosnt blow in the wind as much.

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:48 AM »
You guys who say it matters were you fish what if you only put 50 yards on and then get invited to fish a deeper lake?
It makes sense to have more line and be more flexable then be limited to the places you can fish.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:22 AM »
One other thing that some people seem to be forgetting.... The amount you "reel" in when you pack up is directly proportional to the diameter of the spool. The more line you've got on that spool, the fatter it is, and the more line you'll bring in with each turn when packing up for the day.

I couldn't agree more Chucker... Also with the larger circumference, the reel will have to spin less when the fish is taking the line, reducing the drag and the possibility that the fish will feel the resistance and drop the bait.
  I have a friend who had tipups with small diameter metal spools, that didn't turn very freely to begin with, and he also didn't have much line on the spool.  He kept getting flags all day long, but the fish would run about 10ft and drop the bait.   I'm not positive it was the drag on the line, but it's a factor that should be considered.
So the bottom line on how much line?  Fill that sucker up!  Even if you have to use some backing line like you would on a fly reel.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:09 AM »
if you have 50 yds and get a nice fish, your pulling line and laying it on the ice, it freezes together, the fish runs and the gob goes down the hole. you pull it back in and get the fish. but your left with a knot a ways into the line and have to cut a big chunk out. you only started with so much what have you got left?
 another thing to realise with a full spool is to remember to leave a little space, dont fill it completly. its a cold day you have to check your bait several times , each time you do it puts enouph of a layer of ice on the spool so it wont fit on the spool at the end of day wrap up.
 days this happens you have to thaw your line at home and rewrap or your going to end up with a mess

hali-man

« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:16 AM »
its a cold day you have to check your bait several times , each time you do it puts enouph of a layer of ice on the spool so it wont fit on the spool at the end of day wrap up.
 days this happens you have to thaw your line at home and rewrap or your going to end up with a mess

I have had this happen, but would still rather have the extra line.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:01 AM »
Fill it up.  The bigger the perceived diameter of the spool the less resistance to the fish as he takes line, and you have to complete fewer revs to wind it back on the spool.

BINGO! Far less resistance when the fish takes the bait....

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2005, 12:07 PM »
i fill mine up... still almost got spooled once. fish wouldn't stop running. finally had to put an end to the run and set the hook. got the fish up to the hole and it was a BIG sturgeon. lost it though as its final run it broke the treble on the surge.

still, all in all... pretty darn cool!

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2005, 12:27 PM »
iv found that if u put too much line on ur tip ups, like all the way to the edge of the spool then the line can come off an a iregular way, i dont realy kno how to xplain it but it happens a couple times, so just dont over do it lol ;)
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2005, 02:22 PM »
iv found that if u put too much line on ur tip ups, like all the way to the edge of the spool then the line can come off an a iregular way, i dont realy kno how to xplain it but it happens a couple times, so just dont over do it lol ;)

Yeah I know what you mean, unless you're really careful and winding it on level it can get lop-sided.
I fill my reels up to about 1/2" to the edge, but I'd much rather have on too much line than not enough.
Have never had a fish big enough to run that far... hopefully this year!   ;D

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:02 PM »
i fill um up

usually 100yards sometimes 75

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.