The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: fresno...? 'let u know...?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
fresno...? 'let u know...?
« on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:26 PM »
leaving for fresno in 6 hrs....let you know

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: fresno...? 'let u know...?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2012, 05:32 PM »
expecting a phone call tonight........Wanna know for tomorrow.......

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2012, 06:04 PM »
fished fresno on sat with er...ice was a solid 15" with just enough snow on it to make walking around easier..as i was setting my sixth tip-up up the one i just set goes off!  hit the bait and dropped it.  damn. not another flag until 1030 am. pretty consistent after that  ended up catching 15 smaller pike and right before dark one of mine goes off!!! could tell right away it was a big gator!! she  almost made the wall @ 18 1/4 #    40"  ive caught bigger ones but still not a twenty +...yet   

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2012, 09:05 PM »
what kind of bait do you use on your tip-ups NIC?

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Quote from: cnelson link=topic=221525.msg2216799#msg2216799 date=132970715
what kind of bait do you use on your tip-ups NIC?
[/quote
used 8-9 inch smelt in 7-14' of water  seemed like the gators liked it about two foot off bottom...i like 8-9inc live sucker minnows if legal!!

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:26 PM »
do you use a smelt rig or    ? i fished for pike at nelson and they would only hit live minnows and would not touch the smelt so i was curious what kind of set-up on smelt works best? thanks

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:38 PM »
12 inch 50# steel leader with a kaiol hook..spelling def wrong on hook but...it works if you plan on keeping them..i like to let them eat it then i know i have them to eat them!!

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:37 PM »
going back to fresno 3-3-12!!! 'let u know...?

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:38 PM »
wife said i could stay till sunday?changed plans going to fish sat and sun for pike!! hope the night bite is on for the 'eyes sat night!!i know it sure has been ;)

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Let me know.........that's an awesome time and the weather is looking good for ya..........

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:49 PM »
robbi..we always catch big pike on tip-ups  this time of year on fresno!! biggest ive seen went 26# two years ago, couldnt get in last year due to snow but its going to be great this weekend!!...and that walleye bite i told you about is all good!!  call me if you want to meet up @ blackies or i think the new name is the walleye tavern!!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:06 PM »
I think you'll see us up there........you gonna have a plank with you??

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:29 PM »
always but no way we'll need it.. its been way colder up north than GF..@ lunch today 45 in GF 28 in havre..last time i was there 15" solid ice..i bet 18" now..youll never find me unless we talk ahead of time..?..and with the eyes we dfghyys..and they are pretty nice fish!!!

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:59 PM »
are you going tomorrow robbi?..were leaving at 5.cant really give you better directions but youll find it!!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2012, 11:21 PM »
We were just talking........we're gonna leave town around 5:30.........I'll text you when we're at the gas station......you might have service....

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:51 PM »
Fished today....windy....some pike and a couple of walleye's..........and one trout.  Nothing of great size, but all good eaters, windy.

Shoulda seen the yahoo's next to us tearing up the pike....windy......dam n........

Got warm.....windy...the ice is at least 16", but by the afternoon we had about an inch of water on top and white caps....windy....LOL. 

Did I mention the wind blew some?..........Did I ever mention how much I despise the wind??

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2012, 02:02 AM »
I have heard it gets a little breezy up there. Not much wind for you though?

Molon Labe

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2012, 05:28 PM »
LOL........diertae.... ..it twas a little breezy........thank God for ice cleats, without em we woulda been fishing on the north side.......lol

Offline natedogg18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:05 PM »
There are trout in Fresno? Maybe it was a Whitefish?

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Fresno Reservoir

Tributary of Milk River.
Launch Interactive Map

Size:  3185 acres
Elevation:  2588 ft
Mtn Range:  Not in a Mtn Range
Wilderness Area:  Not in Wilderness Area
Directions:  12 MI W OF HAVRE ON HWY 2
Township:  33N   Range:  13E   Section:  12
FWP Region:  Region 6
Fishing District:  Eastern Fishing District

Species Present

Game Fish Opportunities:Black Crappie, Lake Whitefish, Northern Pike, Rainbow Trout, Walleye, Yellow PerchAll Species Present: Black Crappie, Brook Stickleback, Brown Trout, Burbot, Common Carp, Emerald Shiner, Fathead Minnow, Flathead Chub, Kokanee, Lake Chub, Lake Whitefish, Longnose Sucker, Minnow, Northern Pike, Pumpkinseed, Rainbow Trout, Sauger, Sauger X Walleye Hybrid, Smallmouth Bass, Spottail Shiner, Sucker, Walleye, Western Silvery Minnow, Western Silvery/Plains Minnow, White Sucker, Whitefish, Yellow Perch

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:29 AM »

Ya; whenever someone asks me what it's like in central MT, my standard response is ...
"Winters are cold, dry, and windy; Summers are hot, dry, and windy"

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:29 PM »
well the yahoo's next to robbi was us..LOL...ER and 'eye ended up catching 33 pike sat-sun..quite a few  hammerhandles and 3-4#...one or two 5#.. 7 that went 6#...6 that went 8#...one 14 1/4#...and ER's new wall decoration..a frikin monster that went 25# @ 45 1/4 inches!!!! hell ya his 20+ #er finally!!!! didn't even realize the wind was blowing on saturday like you guys are talking about ::) ::)and on sunday not much wind at all and was 57 deg when left with sun burns..haha!! the great thing about the whole thing is ER was catching a pike and one of his others pops up and im re baiting one of mine and he says go catch that one..i look at him and say "F-NO we're on Fresno man, that could be THE ONE.." and sure as crap!!! as i gaf that beast one of his goes off behind him and he walks over and lands that 14 1/4#!!! he had a trip of a life time and so did i..not in numbers but i gaffed a 25# gator..yaaaa..i had one on that was violently shakin my tip-up back and forth..spoolled out..grab the line and set hook and damn near got yanked right down the hole!!! no crap!! had 3/4 or more of my line back giving and taking line than all the sudden my line goes limp?? what the?? didnt hurt any thing but my big azz smelt ...anyways the ice was nice when we got there @ 17" hard ice.. when we left sunday at 530pm 10" holes were now 12" holes..the pressure ridge off the point was wide open had pockets of water or more like small lakes 2-3" deep every where.. the bank for 6-7' had even more water on it.. not looking good..but 4 wheelers all over the place..starting to honey-comb :'( :'( :'(..glad you guys got into some action on those 'eyes Robbi......im still smiling and both my kids are crying..gotta go.......hopefully to Fresno again!!!??

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:49 PM »
Pics of your fresno reservoir trout?

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2012, 08:57 PM »
now that the computer is fixed 'eye should be able to post some pics??? not of trout but pike..and yes robbi did in fact catch a trout and come on he knows the diff btwn a g-damn whitefish and a trout...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.