The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: records of fish  (Read 4087 times)

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
records of fish
« on: Feb 15, 2012, 01:30 PM »
so it makes me laugh that all the records that are recorded for fish are the biggest ... there are fisherman like my great uncles even a few buds i kno that have beating various so called state records  and they just  didn't want the attention  so it just makes me laugh at the pple that believe most of these records .... and i caught a record fish it would just be another meal!
aka halfrack23 willoughby lake

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: records of fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2012, 01:37 PM »
I am sure they get beat by people catching them out of season and having to throw them back too.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Tslayer - What species, how long ago and how big was the record that was eaten? 
Are you talking about the notorious walleye/LLS on the Clyde?

I am guessing many of the fish entered were legally caught and those not
entered were ?  :tipup:

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2012, 01:59 PM »
I would think it's more likely that people don't know they've caught a state record, therefore they don't take the steps necessary to have it recorded.  I caught a bluegill this past December that weighed 1 lb. 2 oz.  Later I found out it would have ranked #9 on the state list....but I was clueless when I caught it.  Now I have a general idea of what the state record weights are for the species I'm fishing.  I don't know your uncles....but if I catch a state record......I kinda want to get some credit for it.....just sayin
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2012, 02:56 PM »
A fish is a fish and a piece of paper wont make them taste better but if I got one HUGE enough to brag about I would probably report it! ;D

Offline Timbertrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2012, 04:44 PM »
A couple springs ago i caught a 20" brookie BIG and Fat and hook jaw and all. We had no scale and just a crappy cell phone camera phone so we snapped a quick pic and let her go.  :'(

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2012, 04:51 PM »
trt my great uncle and this was a while ago caught a small mouth bass out of brownington pond and a game warden weighed it for him at 9 pounds .... the next night it was eating that's the point im am getting some of us fisherman don't care bout records and such and it just makes me think that pple are just trophy fishing theses days

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2012, 04:59 PM »
When I was a kid I had the state record small mouth but had no idea until I was checking the records a year or two ago and realized that at the time (now its beat) it was the record... I know lots of guys who catch monster bass and everything and toss them back, eat them, or lose them...records are made to be broken and fish are made to be eaten
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Records are just that ,if someone has a fish bigger fish ,good , its not the record unless the steps are made to make it so.All fishermen are liars except me and the guys on this post...and I am not to sure about them. Scales and pictures.. ;-))))

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Records are just that ,if someone has a fish bigger fish ,good , its not the record unless the steps are made to make it so.All fishermen are liars except me and the guys on this post...and I am not to sure about them. Scales and pictures.. ;-))))

true that !

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:51 PM »
i measure and weigh every big fish i catch, and i hate it when somebody shows me a picture of a fish, tell me the length and the "estimated" weight, and from what they tell me it weight 10 lbs more than a fish that i caught of the same dimensions. not wanting an argument i say "nice fish" and walk away ;D

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:01 PM »
trt my great uncle and this was a while ago caught a small mouth bass out of brownington pond and a game warden weighed it for him at 9 pounds ....

Put your boots on boys the crap is getting deep.........

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Put your boots on boys the $hi# is getting deep.........

hahahahahaha

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:15 PM »

some of us fisherman don't care bout records and such and it just makes me think that pple are just trophy fishing theses days

I stocked my freezer for the year. I'm in trophy mode now... Only want mounters.
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:41 PM »
i measure and weigh every big fish i catch, and i hate it when somebody shows me a picture of a fish, tell me the length and the "estimated" weight, and from what they tell me it weight 10 lbs more than a fish that i caught of the same dimensions. not wanting an argument i say "nice fish" and walk away ;D

Me too, I even weighed a pickerel last week ,it was not a record but by the biggest slim ball I had ever caught..

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:47 PM »
I stocked my freezer for the year. I'm in trophy mode now... Only want mounters.

yep if i want food i ll stock up on venison...that way i can get the rack , mount and meat  ;D
i couple pound fish isnt gonna keep me happy for long !  ;)

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:48 PM »
yep if i want food i ll stock up on venison...that way i can get the rack , mount and meat  ;D
i couple pound fish isnt gonna keep me happy for long !  ;)

But then you are a trophy hunter! ahhhh

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:49 PM »
But then you are a trophy hunter! ahhhh

guess i am , but they re all trophies...some are just bigger than others  ;)

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:52 PM »
I am a trophy hunter as long as they come by first....

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:12 PM »
I am a trophy hunter as long as they come by first....

To each their own! As long as people use the outdoors they way they get the most enjoyment out of it legally I am fine with it!

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:21 PM »
guess i am , but they re all trophies...some are just bigger than others  ;)
Are we still talking fish? ;D

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Here's a question, for something like musky, which their is no legal season for, how can someone take the fish off the water body and get it weighed and pictures and all that? Would they have to call VT Fish And Wildlife first or something? Just a question I've wondered about for a while...

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:57 PM »
If there is no season or open season you can't keep it so it would not count I would guess. It would be poaching.  :(

Offline snowshoeinn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • catch and release except for dinner
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:03 PM »
A fish is a fish....its all fun..if you get a big one keep your trap shut...eat it, mount it....release it....whatever...If asked  where caught....answer " In the Lip"  and the freezer is no place for fresh fish!
watch the moon catch the bite (c) 2012

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:57 PM »
A fish is a fish....its all fun..if you get a big one keep your trap shut...eat it, mount it....release it....whatever...If asked  where caught....answer " In the Lip"  and the freezer is no place for fresh fish!
x2

Offline ifslob28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2012, 06:17 AM »
thats exactly right in mhy opinino ... its not a record unless its recorded  - thats probabley why the word "record" is the same as recorded without the "ed"    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i have to laugh at the guys who sneer and smirk at the record lists and say 'ha' i caught a bigger one than that or my dad or granddad did blah blah BLAH blah blah .... if you dont care so much about records, then why ya got to go flappin' your gums about hows yours was bigger than the record??  Sounds like a bit of a inferior complex to me   ;D ;D ;D

if you do catch a big fish and dont want to enter it as a record, fine but keep your trap shut about the record list and the people that do,, ya got no right to sneer.  no one ever says that the record fish on the list are the BIGGEST EVER caught ..,-- their just the biggest ever caught and recorded

x2

Offline Dorrski12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:23 AM »
lol I only fish for trophy's, majority of my fish go right back in the water after i snap some picks.  the only time i keep  them is if the fish is going to die regardless if he gets put back.  I dont see why it matters i just love to fish,  I'll leave them for you to keep lol.  if i only fished to fill my freezer i would only be able to fish for about a week.  and i dont want fish to go to waste if someone else wants to eat them. 
I'd rather be ice fishing

Offline Outdoorsmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:50 AM »
Here's a question, for something like musky, which their is no legal season for, how can someone take the fish off the water body and get it weighed and pictures and all that? Would they have to call VT Fish And Wildlife first or something? Just a question I've wondered about for a while...

ok. so. my dad had this problem. with a musky. he had my little brother take a picture.. he sent it into this very popular musky magizine.  now they guy from that magizine "said he had caught the same fish years previous... after they did test and looked at the picture...."  i dont know if thats true. but i do know that they have a way to look at a muskie count the stripes and they can literally put the mesurments on it from that.. dont know how just know they can..
Dusty Gagnon... you buy the bait i'll catch the fish!
:icefish:

Offline VTtracker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:01 AM »
Put your boots on boys the $hi# is getting deep.........

haha....thats what I was thinking as well

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:22 AM »
It amazes me how many people claim they've caught 5 pound bass.  I don't believe 80% of them in VT.  Actually I don't believe it unless I see it....because I've seen a lot of guys catch 2-3 pounders and call them 5 pounders.  Most of it is just flapping gums.  That's why they have a record book.  That's why you have to take steps to officially weigh and measure a record book fish.  If it's not in the book.....it's NOT a record.  And then you got the guy that unknowingly catches what would be the record....and releases it without telling a soul or even knowing.  If you're claiming to be "that guy"....you're lying.  Whats a good fish story, without a few lies?
2GUYZ FISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.