Author Topic: ATV HELP!!  (Read 2139 times)

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
ATV HELP!!
« on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:14 PM »
I have a 2010 Polaris sportsmen I'm going on a big ice fishing trip up north and on inspection of the wheeler there is gas in the oil.
Yes i know why short trips with no warm up in the winter.
My ? is can i change the oil and put 20 50 conventional just to get by this weekend I'm broke as a joke and have a gallon of it.
New Polaris oil is gona cut into my drinking money lol.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Re: ATV HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:38 PM »
i see 0 w40 on the wheeler forum **censored** never heard of that.
Its not a Honda civic and it is gas i can smell it looks like watered down honey.
Ware is surf Liz when i need him...
Thomas Harris

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I'm sure Surf is working on the answer ! He likes to have all his ducks in line before he chimes in !
---- Joe ----

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:50 PM »
I'm sure Surf is working on the answer ! He likes to have all his ducks in line before he chimes in !

He's the man when it comes to..... well everything... when i grow up i wana be just like him and ice beard lol...
Thomas Harris

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:09 PM »
He's the man when it comes to..... well everything... when i grow up i wana be just like him and ice beard lol...
Never had the chance to meet ice beard . But in a very short time Surf and I have become friends  I've even had a chance to spend sometime on the ice with him . It's scary the stuff he knows about haven't been able to stump him yet ! His. Knowledge and experience has helped me out more than one time !
  Now as far as the growing up part let me tell you he's just a big kid !!!
---- Joe ----

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Im growing older but my wife tells me I'll never grow up.
My grandpa is 88 drinks a beer with me on the ice or under the apple tree and tells me to be safe but have fun...
Thomas Harris

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2012, 03:20 AM »
I'd drain the oil and then put new in and replace the filter.  I'd put standard oil in it, just bypass the expensive Polaris brand.   We usually run the diesel engines/gas engines at work with with a small amount of fuel in the oil.  We do Lube oil viscosity test everyday using the falling ball method once its over our limit we drain the oil, change filters and put new oil in.  Seen it as high as 25% fuel/oil dillution on our ALCO.  Hopefully you caught it quick enough.  For my own peice of mind if it was mine, I'd take a sample of the oil and a sample of the oil thats supposed to be in it and do a fuel/oil dilution test on it just to see where its at. 
The next question will be when you drain the oil, are there an excessive amount of metal shavings stuck on the mag drain plug,  it could be a tell tale sign ob bearing wear, or ring wear.   

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2012, 04:04 AM »
I don't know much about polaris quads but I do know what may have caused the gas to get in your oil,if it is carberated,the needle valve may have stuck open in the floatbowl and let the fuel get to the crankcase,was it parked level,also do you ride with the chock on to long,I wouldn't want to take something on a trip that may break down,I would find the problem before taking it on a trip

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:19 AM »
My ? is can i change the oil and put 20 50 conventional just to get by this weekend I'm broke as a joke and have a gallon of it.

You put 20/50 in it and you may as well put nothing in it because that stuff is way too thick for winter use.   Either a 5W30 or 10W30 otherwise the oil pump can't make it move.  Your machine, 2 quarts of oil is cheaper than a rebuild.

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2012, 02:21 PM »
According to my polaris dealer the use 0w- 40 is to to protect the oil pump durng cold weather starts. Any thing heaver could damage the oil pump. The 0w-40 starts out real thin and thickens as it warms up according too them.  I hadn't heard of 0w40 until I got my polaris 600.
Bob P.

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Hey Jally,
Been fighting the flu for awhile, didn't spot the post right off, Thanks for the kind words guys ! The Polaris atv forum has a thread on gas in the oil and the main culprit seems to be the rubber tip on the needle valve assembly, it deforms and either sticks open, dumping gas into the oil or causing hard starting by sticking closed, part kit for the repair runs around 40 bucks ! Here is a link to the forum and there are some goodcarb diagrams on there !

Fuel in Oil - Polaris ATV Forum
www.polarisatvforums.c om › ... › ATV Repair and Maintenance

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:28 AM »
Thank you for the replies.
I got it changed with amsoil 0w40 Hi flow filter and plug she ran great.
We put 12 miles on chasing the fish this weekend.

Thomas Harris

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2012, 11:21 AM »
Hey I'm a little late but if that Sportsman is carburated and not EFI you need to shut the fuel off when moving it on a trailer or in your truck. There is a shutoff up under the tank somewhere if it isn't on the outside of the cowl. The fuel slosh in the carb will allow raw fuel to leak by and wash down to the base. This will do exactly what you had for a problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.