Author Topic: Northland Bro's bloodworm  (Read 9052 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Northland Bro's bloodworm
« on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Bought 2 packs of these a few years ago and never really tested them out.  Gave up and went back to standard jigs... I had zero confidence in plastics.

Today I saw them at the store again and picked up a pack in red.  Short story, had my best day yet for big perch... I'm a believer now.  Might quit spending $ on waxies ;D ;D ;D

Anyone else still stuck on only using bait?  Give these a try... 

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Northland Bro's bloodworm
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Once i found the bloodworms i was hooked on plastics If you feel like giving something else a try there are little atoms nuggies in red  Using fiskas tungsten jigs have been working real well for me!

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:38 PM »
Right on.  Yeah I'm amazed at the action of the bloodworm.  I'll check out the atom nuggies.

I am amazed the nice perch I'm catching will turn down a 4mm Fiska w/ a waxie... but will literally engulf the bros bloodworm.  They must be keying on something similar I think.

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Bloodworms are a natural food source and they  are red

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Dang can't believe this has not gotten more of a response.  Buy a pack of these and test them in a glass of water or at the top of your ice hole... the action is incredible.  (I do not work for Northland ;D)

I was impressed... didn't expect to catch anything but they killed the perch.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:28 PM »
I actually like to attached to a swivel clip.  All that extra hardware seems counterproductive but the increased action really turns the bite on.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:09 AM »
On those nuggies do you just use the tail part or put the big round head on the jig also?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2012, 10:13 AM »
I've got some but I can't stop pounding hawger spoons long enough to try one!
It only makes sense, I pull fish from as deep as 60 ft. of water and they always regurgitate blood worms when their bladders blow up. The real problem would be trying to be patient enough to get it down deep. I'm not always 50ft plus but normally deeper than 30. I guess you could rig one on a dropper and that would expedite the sink time!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2012, 11:42 AM »
Yep I can definitely see using other options for deeper water.

I'm using my bro bloodworm in about 20-15 fow. 

You could always rig tandem (double) and fish them deeper. 

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:30 PM »

Thats what I do, small teardrop with blood worm drop shot rigged with a spoon instead of weight.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Fished the bloodworm again today guess what:  Those darn perch just nipped at the tail.  I read some other "plastics" posts on the shanty and heard of this happening.  Shorten the tails.  Never got around to doing it but I'll try it next time.

A few days ago they were slamming it... in most cases it was all the way in their mouth.  This time though just nibbles on the tail.  Pretty interesting.

My thinking is that today I never really got on a pod or school of perch... just marked single fish here and there.  When they were slamming it... there were other perch on the bottom nearby...   Sure is cool seeing that "school" feeding mentality.  They bite much better when they are afraid another perch is gonna steal their meal

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Haven reallly fished for perch this winter, but in the past, I have had some sucess with the white blood worm pattern on perch and ciscos / tullibees. :)

WW

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2012, 05:02 AM »
Picked up Red, Pink, and Black/Dark gray... I will be trying them today and will post later!

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Cool interested to see how you do.   After further testing.. it seems smaller perch have a tendency to nibble on the tail and not get hooked...  You can always trim the bloodworm down a little bit seems to help when this happens.

I like that if my live-bait goes sour for some reason I have something in my box that will catch big perch and don't need to tip it with anything.  But the other day they were hitting the bloodworm better than a waxie and jig.  Bloodworm has MUCH better action than a standard jig, fiska, etc.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2012, 04:27 PM »
I tied three different ones on one rod and didn't produce anything... I caught 3/4 pail using minnows... I did rig it with a 3/4oz sinker on the bottom so maybe it couldn't get the action it needed.  The camera showed them come to it, but they wouldn't hit.  Next time, I'll use without the weight so they can have action.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Just a 3/4 oz sinker? Not to be a smart a-- but fishing with plastics is more finesse fishing and yes they are great on MOST days they will out fish bait. Ratso's just crush big gills and crappie and perch.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2012, 06:41 PM »
I have Ratso's too, but today, the perch wanted live bait... A few I pulled up had little 1" perch fry in their mouths.  Def. stole it from them and baited my hooks with them :o

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Yeah if they are feeding on minnows I don't know how great the bloodworm will work - it is not a great minnow imitation although not a bad one.

I would not use any weight.  I'd use 2lb test line too.

I'm going to keep testing the bloodworm and the scudbug too actually for that matter.  I'll keep sharing my thoughts and experiences with them in this thread.  Today the scudbug caught quite a few trout deadsticking it near the bottom.  Forgot to mention too over the past 3-4 trips using the bloodworm... I've caught a big sucker (3lbs+) ea. trip w/ the bloodworm.  Pretty cool.

There definitely is some appeal to tricking them into eating a piece of plastic... don't know what it is but you just feel a little more smug about it working ;)

Offline badsparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:45 AM »
I picked up a couple of the bloodworm packs and the freshwater shrimp packs.  I think the shirmp ones will work as a small crawfish also.  Didn't get to try them out for perch on Sunday went laker fishing instead but I couldn't wait to see how they looked so i dropped them in the hole boy do they have alot of action to them.  Will try them this week and give a report on how they worked on the perch.  Thanks gemcity for recommending these.

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:41 AM »
try the slug bug to they look like a mouse boith work realy good in the spots I fish

Offline badsparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Well I finally got to try the bloodworms this weekend for a little while before the wind blew me off the lake.  They worked as advertised.  I started off fishing with my normal gear to see how the bite was going and didn't see much action, some lookers came off the bottom but nothing really interested.  I switched to the bloodworm and the perch were coming off the bottom and picking up the jig before it was even a couple of feet from the bottom.  Wish I could have fished longer, but the wind really started blowing, I though my tarp on my nanook was going to rip off, so I bailed.  We had gusts over 60 mph Saturday.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2012, 02:25 AM »
Was waiting for the report, glad to hear they worked for ya.

They really shined for me on fish that would come off the bottom and reject my waxies.   Drop the bloodworm down and bam...

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:07 PM »
Do you guys tip ur bloodworm when you use it?? I've had really good success this yr with it, it seems to pull out bigger perch out of the schools, but I have always tipped it with a few maggots/spikes.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2012, 09:11 PM »
no tipping here

Offline badsparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2012, 09:13 AM »
I tried tipping it with a half of a meal worm but didn't have any action. As soon as I took the meal worm off and dropped it down the hole I had them perch coming off the bottom to intercept it before there buddies could get it.  I didn't have much luck with the freshwater shrimp pattern though on this lake.

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2012, 03:30 PM »
That's interesting ...I will have to try no tipping next time...the perch seem to love the bloodworm and the white colors...and the trout slam the pink

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2012, 09:28 PM »

I put one of the extra plastic tails on a 5mm tungsten jig for deep water, works great. Ive been using the Bloodworms for 2 winters, and they are simply deadly. Bump it up an inch or 2 and let it swim back down, and hold on! Caught brownies on the yellow color too. (caterpillar)

The tails will get torn up on the hook pierced (fatter) end, so I wouldnt shorten the tip end any. Eventually you will need to lop off a bit of the fat end to get a good spot to run the hook through.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline BoonDockin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2012, 07:00 PM »
going to have to pick some up and try them always walk right by them

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 22, 2012, 01:28 AM »
i picked up a pack of the glow color last year and absolutely killed the crappie with them, as well as a big 4 pound rainbow. later in the season i lost one, and ran out of replacement tails, but the stores were all sold out.
this year cal ranch had them on clearance for 98 cents a package, so i bought all the ones on the shelf. i picked up a couple other colors too, so we'll see how well that works out.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2012, 12:12 PM »
im gonna have to pick some up and see how they do this season. ive had good luck with the slug bug, but the blood worm may work better! red and white seems to the color to go to.
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.