Author Topic: Cold lake????? - Trip Results and Pics on pg 3  (Read 9831 times)

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
Re: Cold lake?????
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Had a good time walleye Tom, met a guy who scuba dives the lake that had amazing bathymetric maps with all the humps and bumps in the lake .... I will scan it and send it through to you once I get back home.  We are going to try and work some of those spots tomorrow and see if we can get a monster.

For the fishing report....... Ended up getting 20 today with only 3 around the keeper size.. One around 10 pounds.
I would way rather be fishing

Offline WesternBass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2012, 11:56 PM »
Geez, You are slaying out there. Nice work.  Guess I know where I'm going for lakers next!
Anyone know how long of a drive from edmonton it is?

Offline burbotman14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2012, 12:25 AM »
It is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours depending on what side of Edmonton you are on. You might get there a bit quicker depending on how fast you drive.

I don't live to fish, I fish to live.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:39 AM »
This is a good example of how valuable a "flasher" is.   Fishing with no "flasher" I caught 3, my buddy caught 1.  Eztiaan  caught 20 + with the  flasher.  The fish were chasing the bait, Eztiaan could work the fish and we were blind.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #34 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Time to put one on the wish list eh Tom

Offline luv4fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Hi I'll be out there Sat (25) I'll be in the red chevy p/u 4x4. Please feel free to drop by and say hello(and maybe a few pointers lol) L4F
Born to Fish  Forced to work!!!

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Hi I'll be out there Sat (25) I'll be in the red chevy p/u 4x4. Please feel free to drop by and say hello(and maybe a few pointers lol) L4F

Where are you going on the ice? We will be out by 8 am, how about you? We are in the same vehicle as you and will be visible from the marina launch

Offline luv4fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:01 PM »
General consensus is about 9:30-10 as we have a 5yr old girl coming with us tmr. Will be coming off the ramp as well. Will look for you.

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Today was a bit slower, only landed 13 btw 2 of us; however, did get one absolute go we estimated around 20 #. Will get pics up after trip and you guys can tell me what you think

Offline luv4fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:47 AM »
Had a good day out on the ice even though it was cold as heck and very windy. I lost two and my friend caught one but lost two as well. Thanks to eztiaan for explaining the flasher to me and for the tips. I'm thinking that the flasher is definitely the way to go as with the finder you could see the fish but not tease them like you can with the flasher. Very cool set up it is. Going out today to try our luck again hopefully I will have pics to show after this trip.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 26, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Glad to hear you hooked up with Eztiaan.   We'll be up to C.L. on Tuesday.
Did you get down the lake to Sask. or is the ice heave still preventing trucks from traveling down there?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2012, 01:19 PM »
Hopefully second day goes better for ya luv 4 fish, hope u can get a big one.

Tom, I never ended up trying to head that way so not too sure. On Saturday we fished same spot till 12 and caught 10 with a couple in the keeper range. Will attempt to get pics up asap

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #42 on: Feb 26, 2012, 05:35 PM »
So it ended up being an amazing trip! Between 2 of us we landed 95 + lakers over 5 days of fishing. What an amazing fishery this is, with our trip producing a great quantity and quality of lakers. The pics below are just of some of the HOGS we got who were all returned to be caught another day. I will deffinitely be back next season!!!!!!

I did not weigh or measure any of these fish but if anyone has any guesses on the weights ( someone who has weighed several lakers) i would love to hear your estimates
 :icefish:

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cold lake????? - Trip Results and Pics on pg 3
« Reply #43 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Awesome pics, and awesome fish congrats!!!

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Eztiaan,

Thanks for posting the pictures.  Those are impressive fish.

Having fished with you, I know you are truly a great sportsman.  Thank you for returning all those fish to produce for the future.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Wow Eztiaan you got into some really nice fish!
Just curious how you like the Lx-7. ive been thinking about buying one but have never seen one in action.

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #46 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Wow Eztiaan you got into some really nice fish!
Just curious how you like the Lx-7. ive been thinking about buying one but have never seen one in action.

I credit 95% of the fish we caught on this trip to the 7. It's an absolutely awesome unit. The fact that it is updatable is what sold it to me. Next I'n line was the lx5 and fl 20 but at only 150-200 bucks more the updatablility along with the adjustable display to tailer specific situations is whT sold this product on me. I absolutely love it. Even if it has some minor kinks it is still way better than just a basic flasher. The real time chart is awesome to reference as a form of memory and coupled with the vertical zoom is great for walleye. I used the flasher display with a 20 dt vertical zoom with te lakers cuz they were chasing the bait so much. I had several fish chase the bait more that 70 ft from bottom hitting it at 10 ft below the ice. What a thrill that is just waiting for those fish to hit as you see them filling your hook in sync. Again, I love the unit and if you are in the market for a new flasher I think it is the way to go.

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #47 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Another thing, I used the unit this whole trip with another angler beside me and with that vertical zoom it was very easy to distinguish who's  hook was whos and who's hook was being followed by a fish.

Offline huntin_fool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Super cool!!!  Great fish, what an adventure.  Thanks for sharing with us.  I am envious!  I still haven't got onto any hot spots on Cold.  Gotta keep putting in the time!

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #49 on: Feb 26, 2012, 10:08 PM »
If you got sonar, do not settle down and set up shack. Move move move until you find active fish is my best advice

Offline luv4fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 26, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Hi all well second day didnt prove any better for me but again Adam my nieces friend proved to be the fisherman of the day again! Arggg!!! lol He ended up landing 30incher Was sweet just to hold it. Glad to see you made it home safe Eztiaan with your family in that storm. Thanks again for the help. Too bad work is calling or I'd be staying longer. Maybe next time. Will post pic when I figure out how.

Offline huntin_fool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:39 PM »
If you got sonar, do not settle down and set up shack. Move move move until you find active fish is my best advice

No sonar for me, so play it trip by trip and hope to get lucky!!

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:34 PM »
One of my Cold Lake trout.  This is my first posting of a picture.

Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #53 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:08 PM »
That's a nice, lean, long fish there Tom. Way to go

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Eztiaan,

We are going up tomorrow for the day.    :)  Might be a bit cool but that is fishing  ...

I am looking for a deal on a LX-7  if you see one .....   :o
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 27, 2012, 04:42 PM »

I credit 95% of the fish we caught on this trip to the 7. It's an absolutely awesome unit. The fact that it is updatable is what sold it to me. Next I'n line was the lx5 and fl 20 but at only 150-200 bucks more the updatablility along with the adjustable display to tailer specific situations is whT sold this product on me. I absolutely love it. Even if it has some minor kinks it is still way better than just a basic flasher. The real time chart is awesome to reference as a form of memory and coupled with the vertical zoom is great for walleye. I used the flasher display with a 20 dt vertical zoom with te lakers cuz they were chasing the bait so much. I had several fish chase the bait more that 70 ft from bottom hitting it at 10 ft below the ice. What a thrill that is just waiting for those fish to hit as you see them filling your hook in sync. Again, I love the unit and if you are in the market for a new flasher I think it is the way to go.

Awesome thanks for the reply!  I've been looking at the FL-20 and of course the LX-7.  To me it looks like a no brainer going with the LX-7.  It just looks like a more advanced sonar unit, with way more features.

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #56 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Ice man, that's exactly it. If its in our price range go for it. Otherwise youigh as well go with a vx 1 or a general 1st generation flasher cuz they will work pretty good. But the 7 I think is the way of the future.

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #57 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:57 AM »
What line do you use for those great fish?
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:06 AM »
Thanks for sharring those Pictures . Your liven the dream . Have to see one of those flashers 7 work on the ice. Can one use them on a boat also?
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #59 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:38 AM »
What line do you use for those great fish?

I was running 20# braid with 20 # floro leader

I will probably go down to 15 next time as 20 was a bit much

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.