Author Topic: snowmobile ramps  (Read 2519 times)

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
snowmobile ramps
« on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:28 AM »
store bought ramps to load sled into the back of a pickup truck, is it worth it or is it a pain in the butt to load and unload? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thank You!

Offline mikeypmcg

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: snowmobile ramps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:33 AM »
the skegs get hung up on the cross bars.  i tried it sucked.  if there is a smooth spot to run the skis up it works good.  I used some 2x10x8 to get the skis into back of truck then was able to push it in the rest of the way by myself.

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Thank You

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:28 AM »
I have a set of tri fold ramps from Cabelas.  I only use them for my wheeler but they have an channel on them where you can put 1/8 inch plywood to use for sleds.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Just use a snowbank.....oh, wait....DOH!! 

I've seen people use wood for the skis and one of those aluminum atv ramps in the center. 

Nice thing about a z440 is that it's so light you can pick it up and put it in the bed yourself with a little practice.

Offline MaineWyofishslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2012, 12:28 PM »
i have a folding atv ramp that i just put plywood on and it works like a champ. i like it better than draggin my trailer everywhere
Watch your top knot!

Offline lonmower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2012, 02:11 PM »
I think you can buy a bracket that mounts to the end of a 2x8/2x10, so a homemade ramp can easily attach to your tailgate. Check on an online auction site. I have also seen some cool one-man ramps on you tube. You could search there for some ideas.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:33 PM »
trifold ATV ramp I bolted some 3/8" plywood on the outer folds for my sled a while back... worked well ;D

Offline pfd161

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:34 PM »
yup the cabelas tri fold ramps they are Yukon i think.... just did this yesterday.  1/4 inch plywood  inserted in the channels for the ski's... my track isn't picked so going up the middle works fine if i get some momentum going...can easily pull the plywood out if i want for the wheeler.  you could also buy some ski glides to bolt to the wood if you so wished...

Offline Turnbuckle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2012, 03:49 PM »
I have a set of tri fold ramps from Cabelas.  I only use them for my wheeler but they have an channel on them where you can put 1/8 inch plywood to use for sleds.

Yep. This is the key. Put in some 1/4 on the 2 outer sections, leave the center open with the cross bars for traction for your track and our studs. I also bought at Cabelas ski guides that you add to a trailer and screwed those in. I have a brand new trailer here at the house and only use if if I am taking 2 sleds. The ramps are slick, no issues at all. Just take a rachet strap and tie it off the trailer hitch and to a center cross member so it doesn't kick out when loading. For unloading I just drive pull the sled off without the ramp and drop it out. Been doing this for a decade.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.