Author Topic: Snowmachines vs ATVs  (Read 1194 times)

Offline RONK

• IceShanty Rookie
Snowmachines vs ATVs
« on: Jan 31, 2012, 01:49 PM »
    Please forgive the novice question,but which are more popular for ice fishing,snowmachines or ATVs and why?Thanks.

Offline schmutzomatic 5000

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Snowmachines vs ATVs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 02:03 PM »
I want one..... wow  that is a nice machine...

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 03:23 PM »
depends on how much snow there is.  If you don't have tracks and the snow is real deep, ATVs can be a no-go.  On the other hand if there is no snow on the ice, liquid cooled sleds are a no-go, unless you get scratchers or run a fan cooled sled of course! 

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2012, 03:24 PM »
    Please forgive the novice question,but which are more popular for ice fishing,snowmachines or ATVs and why?Thanks.

Depends on where you fish, how much snow you usually have and if you want to use a quad during the warm weather. The hardest time to use a snowmobile is when it's easiest to walk, opposite for quads.

You can also look at the thread named "Sled or Wheeler/ Which do you perfer?" on the same menu page as this one.

Offline MikeInMI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:25 PM »
I don't think there is a clear answer to this type of question.   

No one machine will work in all conditions.    I prefer a quad just because it has the most versatility but there are times where it just won't traverse the amount of snow and slush I find on the lakes.  It also gives me a toy to use year round.  :-D

I used to have a sled but found that it spent more time in storage then in use so I sold it.

Fortunately for me , I have a quad and my friend still has his sleds.    We're pretty much covered regardless of what mother nature throws at us.
I do many things well...none of which generate income.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:43 PM »
It really depends on where you live and the type of fishing you do.  B/C if you only get ice and no snow then a 4whlr is the way to go,  if you get alot of snow then a Snowmobile is the way to go.  I used to only have a quad and it was good till we got alot of snow then I'd be having to find tracks/trails that where previously used, now that I got a couple sleds added to my fleet I say bring on the snow I'm ready. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.