Author Topic: SNOWJACK  (Read 1777 times)

Offline SLIK

• IceShanty Rookie
SNOWJACK
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:19 PM »
Got real tired of dragging the jack through all the snow so I came up with this idea. Took an old snowboard and a 3 ton jack. Welded some bracket, took off the wheels and glued some heavy duty 1/2 plastic to the board. Used elevator bolts so it slides smooth. Voila a snow jack! Gonna mount a big handle on the other piece of plastic and tie a rope to it for a handle. Still gotta test it, hoping the weight won't crack the board. I figure the weight is spread evenly though, we'll see I guess.

Hockey and Icefishing...two sports that involve dropping the gloves and kicking ass

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SNOWJACK
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:09 AM »
awesome idea!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:06 PM »
That is a killer idea! Around here this year you could have left the wheels on that thing and you'd be fine. We can't buy a flake of snow here.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:12 AM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you use the jack for?
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:57 AM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you use the jack for?

When you have a hard side shanty, you have to continually jack it up and reblock it underneath due to snow, and melting into the ice. If it snows a lot, you might be doing it 3-5 times a week.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline SLIK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2012, 02:46 PM »
That'd work stellar eh. Somebody out there has had the nasty task of dragging a jack around in the snow. Was hoping somebody would get some good use out of the idea. I'm getting flamed pretty hard on another forum.

Actually I built it with racing in mind. I practice often and started competing last year. Wicked vehicle for getting out to the fishing hole. The car is constantly undergoing changes and I'm always flipping tires in the snow. It's so much cheaper practicing on snow over gravel. It's a subaru legacy turbo and the races are called rallyx's. A few times now I've had to drag the jack close to a km cause a tire came off the bead.
Here's a clip from my first race. Part of the fun is taking a beater up against a bunch of real nice cars......autox with the corvette club is a hoot. I'm the last car in the clip

Hockey and Icefishing...two sports that involve dropping the gloves and kicking ass

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2012, 05:48 PM »
SLIK, u test that yet?

Offline SLIK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Gonna try it out this weekend. I went over the idea with a couple buddies. Both were pretty pumped on the idea. We discussed the issue of the car falling off and figured as long as you use the tip of the board to dig down and make a flat surface it shouldn't be an issue. Thinking the weight of the car will keep it steady. Gonna do a real good shake test and only lift a corner at a time. Hoping it's similar to jacking in mud. The other issue we considered is the possibility of the board cracking. You can see there 1/2 inch pieces of plastic glued and bolted to the board. Also the brackets are made to spread the load out so the weight will be pushing on a larger area. Probably gonna get a vid of it in some nasty slush.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2012, 03:12 PM »
I guess I had the wrong idea what the jack would be used for!

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Thats a slick idea might have to build one for myself let us know how it works

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:23 AM »
I still think it would be slick for jacking up a hardside

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:46 PM »
We use a highlift just leave it in the shack.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.