Author Topic: Lowrance elite 5 Ice machine!  (Read 20946 times)

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lowrance elite 5 Ice machine!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Here's the Regular Elite 5.  This one does not come with the Navionics card and the pre-loaded charts are not good... Price is $450.  http://www.xtremenavigation.com/Lowrance-Elite-5-Base-Us-Combo-With-83200-Khz_p_939.html

Here's the Elite 5 Gold which comes with Gold Navionics card.... This is the one I bought and the price is $530 and would be a better deal if you are going to buy the base model and sink 100 bucks into charts... this one will save you $20 bucks... http://www.xtremenavigation.com/Lowrance-Elite-5-Gold-Combo-W-83200-Khz-Transom-Mount_p_4091.html

I bought my PPP-18i from BOE Marine and they were good and the price is roughly the cheapest you can get $126 plus shipping... http://www.boemarine.com/000-10209-001_Lowrance_PPP-18I_EliteMark_Icefish_Bag_wTransducer

Whichever unit you go with, there is still a $100 rebate on them but only until 2/12/12.  So basically $430 for the one with Navionics Gold charts or $350 with the base maps.  Then just buy the ice pack and your ready for both soft and hard water.  You'd save money by buying them separate because the cheapest I could find for the Elite 5 ice pack that comes with the unit is $585 and that's without the charts and there is no rebate.
Thanks, I assume that this is the same fish finder as the Ice version, therefor is rated the same for the cold?
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2012, 04:34 PM »
It's got to be the same thing... Mine is for my boat that I put in an Ice Pack and it works great.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:44 PM »
If someone doesn't beat me to it I will try to get a screen shot of the vertical(amplitude setting) display sometime this week. I believe on the x67 its called fast track. Someone had mentioned it before but it's only 1/4 inch wide, so not very big.

ohh i thought the fasttrack was what was all the way to the right on the other side of the depth line?  I will have to see if there is a option for it

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:23 PM »
ohh i thought the fasttrack was what was all the way to the right on the other side of the depth line?  I will have to see if there is a option for it

Kinda.  It's not a separate screen, it's just the extreme right side of the graph.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:19 PM »
It's probably the same thing I have on my HB787, but they call it RTS(real time sonar). On the HB you can set it to a wider band, but it's B&W with width strength instead of color like the narrow one shown in this pic.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Here's a poor pic of the wider B&W vertical bar on a HB. This looks like the Lowrance style of side bar judging by the pic on their website.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:25 PM »
But, wait.  Marcum has finally done the same thing with the LX7 and all the flasher guys think that they've done something that is so far beyond what all the other manufacturers have done.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Found a pic of the Elite 5. The HB (at least my 787) doesn't let you see the side bar with the map on the split screen.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:41 PM »
But, wait.  Marcum has finally done the same thing with the LX7 and all the flasher guys think that they've done something that is so far beyond what all the other manufacturers have done.

Fishrmn

;D I've been trying to tell people how much I like my set up for two years, and I use the same unit on the boat trolling lakers and next year on the ocean. Lowrance or HB is the way to go imo. Any time you're in the boat and see a spot to ice fish you can just save the spot and forget about it until winter. When you're on the ice you have all the waypoints in the unit already. And you don't need two sonars and a GPS, just one head unit and a few bases.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:43 AM »
;D I've been trying to tell people how much I like my set up for two years, and I use the same unit on the boat trolling lakers and next year on the ocean. Lowrance or HB is the way to go imo. Any time you're in the boat and see a spot to ice fish you can just save the spot and forget about it until winter. When you're on the ice you have all the waypoints in the unit already. And you don't need two sonars and a GPS, just one head unit and a few bases.

that is a nice idea.  I do not open water fish so I just use my hand held with a contour of the lake and i see to find fish but your right being in a boat you can see the bottoms of drop offs and humps and what not. 

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:08 AM »
Here's a poor pic of the wider B&W vertical bar on a HB. This looks like the Lowrance style of side bar judging by the pic on their website.

(Image removed from quote.)
No, the vertical display is different on the lowrance. Although, It is displayed along with the graph.

Offline Doomsday

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ohh.... 2 to 200 feet
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:57 AM »
I will put up a picture tonight Of the side graph.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.

Offline Doomsday

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ohh.... 2 to 200 feet
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Doomsday, you gots the sensitivity cranked up too high. Adjust the surface clarity and you won't get all that clutter up top. You can also hide or make the numbers on the left smaller. You can also set the time of day to show up on the screen too. Good fishin and tight lines!

How do you make the numbers in the left smaller and set up the time if day?

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:40 PM »
Overlay data settings. You can remove, resize or hide. For time of day, you must obtain a GPS lock on the unit first then you can go into the settings and adjust to your local time.

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:38 PM »
Amazed that the retailers really pop you if you buy the ice pack, usually purchasing separate costs more but not in this case.

I considered this unit and the LX-7, I went with the 7 because I didn't need GPS or mapping.  The screen size was bigger (5" vs 8") and it offered dual beam for the deeper lakes I fish.   This is a very nice unit and it made for a difficult buying decision.  I think the Lowrance is much better for open water fishing so you get more miles out of it than mine at this time.  Congrats on your purchase  !!  Would like to see more pictures of the unit in action.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:43 PM »
I'm glad to see that Lowrance has made another high end product with ice fishermen in mind!  I've been fighting the flasher guys for YEARS and finally gave up!  They don't want to believe that anything is better than their flashers!  I've been using my Lowrance 334 for the past five years on the boat and on the ice.  It's the best investment anyone that fishes both could make.  At one point Lowrance offered demo's of their different flashers you could download to your pc and turn your pc into that flasher so you could play with the settings and options and better learn how to use your equipment.  I still haven't scratched the surface with my unit.  It probably does a ton of cool things that I don't know of.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Doomsday

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ohh.... 2 to 200 feet
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Going to fish the gorge with it tomorrow. 80ft of water, and I will put a video and some pictures up.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 04, 2012, 01:24 PM »
I absolutely love using it.  BTW the vertical amplitude scope on it really does nothing for me.  I tried it today and I'm not a flasher guy so it was just wasted space on the screen.  This is why I like having the ice pack.... I took it out today, looked up a previous waypoint where I caught fish a few weeks ago, took me to the exact location, dropped the transducer down the hole, and caught a good catch of perch.

Offline Blitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Not the elite 5, but gives you the idea of the amplitude scope. Basically a color showdown. I have used this setup on the ice half dozen times now, completely blows away the showdown and lx3 I used to have.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:59 PM »
It's the same on the elite. Color and size wise

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:02 PM »

Amplitude scope to the right. my jig is at 3.5ft, fish coming up from bottom and a fish that just went out side the cone.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:41 PM »

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:58 PM »
image fixed. was trying to post it from my phone but didnt work :P

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:46 AM »
Sweet. I need one.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:04 AM »
Evo, I'm sure you already know this but you can get rid of that top foot of surface clutter by manually changing the depth settings.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:26 AM »
Yep. I was fishing shallow waters and didnt really feel the need to adjust.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Evo, curious as to what you have for sensitivity and colorline settings.. I kind of like it.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Just looked up Navionics Gold charts for the Elite 5 and they are about 150-200 bucks.  If you are thinking about getting an Elite 5, It would be in your best interest to buy the "Elite 5 Gold" and save yourself money on charts.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 06, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Evo, curious as to what you have for sensitivity and colorline settings.. I kind of like it.
I will double check my settings later on tonite and let ya know.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Color line was at 43% I adjust my sensitivity accordingly. Every jig/lure will give off a different return strength also depending on how deep you fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.