Author Topic: trout fishing at night?  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Holden Turbitt

• Team IceShanty Regular
trout fishing at night?
« on: Jan 25, 2012, 03:51 PM »
whats the activity level for trout at night?

Offline cherokee545

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: trout fishing at night?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012, 03:55 PM »
I don't know about at night but I have been catching rainbow trout between 4:35 and 5:00 just before dark on a 1/8 once silver slender spoon with a green or silver reflective sticker.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:11 PM »
I know a couple guys who fish them during summer and swear by a lantern, corn and a crawler....
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline Bowski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:39 PM »
I have been having much of my luck in the morning with the trout this year. Yesterday I went in Southern NH had two nice brown's in the first hour and nothing the rest of the day. We didn't pull our traps until dark and we didn't have a single bite. I always say if you have lines in where the fish are you are going to catch them. Brown's are notorious night biters. So find the fish day or night and you will probably have some bites. Good luck.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:33 PM »
While fishing at night for salmon with crawlers or spawn I have caught many trout.  Trout through the ice at night I have yet to try.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:46 PM »
I live in brook trout heaven.  The limit is 20 brook trout of any size.  90% of the waters in my area contain only one species of fish.....brook trout.  No other species of fish or minnow live in these waters.  Yes, there are some waters where chub or suckers have been introduced due to stupidity and in these waters, the trout population is automatically reduced by 40 to 60%.....and this is without any fishing pressure.  Many of the brook trout waters in my area never see a fisherman.  Most will see a couple of fishermen per year.  Since there are no other fish for the brook trout to feed on, they eat insects.  Fly fishing is fantastic all summer.

So imagine your favourite brook trout lake and imagine how many brook trout would be in this lake if there were no minnows and no fishing pressure.  That's what it's like where I live in Northern Quebec.

I have often tried brook trout fishing at night and I have very rarely caught anything.  I've seen thousands of brook trout feeding at the surface of lakes but as soon as it gets dark, it's as if there were no fish in that lake.  However, there are no insects on or near the surface of the water either.

So I guess that if minnows are the brook trout's natural feed, I guess they do feed at night and can be caught at night.  Different story for the brook trout where I live.  On top of that, during the summer up here, it gets dark around 11 pm and the birds start singing at 2:30 am.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Here is the best way I think I can explain this:

Trout do not shut down as much at night as some species like perch.  They still cruise around at various times throughout the night.  I am not sure if they are actively feeding or just roaming around, moving, etc.  But if you have a flasher and you can mark them coming through you can catch them. 

I like slightly bigger lures / offerings in glow.  Jig the bottom, pound it, stir it up etc... and when one comes through reel up to the depth they are cruising at... bounce it a few times in their face... and they will eat.  Most of the time they will.

My best advice is to give it a try... a lot of people wonder if they can catch fish at night and in a lot of cases w/ a lot of species you can... but ya gotta get out there and give it a shot!  Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.