Author Topic: Eskimo Fatfish 949i  (Read 38549 times)

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Fatfish 949i
« Reply #60 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:17 PM »
went out with my buddy on schroon today.  used his new 949i.  screwed it down at corners, popped it up, roped it out on windward side. popped a pin/pole about half way through the morning.  thankfully the pole stayed in place until we took it down.  he's gonna follow the advice of gluing the pins rather than send it back. the poles where perfect on the sides, but twisted on bottom of both door ends.  anyone notice that with theirs?

Offline panfishinpat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Bought the clam command post. What a piece of crap. Set it up and pole popped right away. Took it back and bought a quickfish 4. WOW what a great shanty. Built way better went out today and it was 20mph winds. I was going to get fatfish sounds like I am glad I didn't. Will in a year or two
Take your kids fishing. The memories will last them there lifetime

Offline iceman0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Ive had all 3 brands, Frabill, clam and now the eskimoe, they all have the same issues with the  pins popping out and poles sliding out, to man moving parts.

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #63 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Troutslayer, mine are like you describe at the bottom of the doors. Maybe they make them longer to gain foot clearance thru the door.I haven't had any issues with it but it does look odd.

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:24 PM »
My poles by the door are like that too but the one in the store was not like that.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #65 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:30 PM »
I talked to Eskimo customer service and they said there were some poles that went out the wrong length and they were replacing them. They said that there was a issue with the stitching that it was crooked and they are replacing them. They said they made the bags bigger and did reenforced stitching on the bag handles. They said the pole problem is not the hubs it is the pins in the poles that some of them did not get crimped properly. They have addressed these issues half way through the season. That would be why some are not having problems and some are. I think Eskimo makes a great product and I will be buying a 949i next fall. It is the same with most first year products. They test a prototype which is made from scratch and every piece is is hand made for that hut. Then it goes in to production were not every piece is inspected and things go out wrong. It sucks but thats the way it goes. All Eskimo can do is do whatever they can to help someone fix the problem. If you just say the hell with it and take it back to the store all you are doing is passing the problem off to another guy. Call Eskimo and let them help you get your hut fixed right before you throw them under the tracks of a moving train.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:59 PM »
When l called Eskimo the gentleman was more that willing to help me out. When I told him my problem he didn't ask a single question but my address. I checked my pole pins the other night and none of the others had moved. So I wonder if I got one bad pole. I put glue on the rest anyway. This hut has made my season a lot more enjoyable so far. Never was a hut kind of guy till I got my 949. Love it.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:45 PM »
I talked to Eskimo customer service and they said there were some poles that went out the wrong length and they were replacing them. They said that there was a issue with the stitching that it was crooked and they are replacing them. They said they made the bags bigger and did reenforced stitching on the bag handles. They said the pole problem is not the hubs it is the pins in the poles that some of them did not get crimped properly. They have addressed these issues half way through the season. That would be why some are not having problems and some are. I think Eskimo makes a great product and I will be buying a 949i next fall. It is the same with most first year products. They test a prototype which is made from scratch and every piece is is hand made for that hut. Then it goes in to production were not every piece is inspected and things go out wrong. It sucks but thats the way it goes. All Eskimo can do is do whatever they can to help someone fix the problem. If you just say the hell with it and take it back to the store all you are doing is passing the problem off to another guy. Call Eskimo and let them help you get your hut fixed right before you throw them under the tracks of a moving train.

I think Eskimo makes some great products.  If you look I have praised the quickfish series over and over again.  I'm hardly throwing "them" under the bus, if by "them" you mean Eskimo?.  I'm just voicing my dissatisfaction with the fatfish I purchased. 

I feel like we are beating a dead horse here...   I guess people are just used to this type of thing these days.  You know, cheap products, made with cheap labor.  Faulty products.  Nothing is made to last anymore, it's true.  But I've used and abused my quickfish 3 for 3 years now and it is still standing strong.  No problems.  Not one.  I'll stand for a product like that.

What I won't stand for is having my unit fall apart on me on the 2nd trip I take it out.  If I were the only person with this problem, I'd probably just go ahead and say to hell with it I got a bad unit one out of how many... I'll just fix it and use it.  But that is not the case, I had my problem and then I started searching the internet to see if anyone else had my problem... to see if it wasn't just mine.  Turns out this is happening to a lot of people with their new fatfish.  I don't like the idea of rewarding Eskimo for mass producing something that falls apart like this.  If they fix it and the problems go away... great.

I'm just giving my view of things:  I appreciate and understand everyone elses... do what you wish with your fatfish.   Gemcity - out.

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I think I am going to chance it and  buy the 949, found one local for $169.  Does anyone have any pictures of problem areas?  Please post or email them to me at [email protected]
I think that I will pull the hubs apart and try to fix the problem before it happens to prevent any damage on the ice!!

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:16 PM »
I think I am going to chance it and  buy the 949, found one local for $169.  Does anyone have any pictures of problem areas?  Please post or email them to me at [email protected]
I think that I will pull the hubs apart and try to fix the problem before it happens to prevent any damage on the ice!!

Wow $169 that is a awesome deal.  Ya it does suck but pull the hub covers off and put a dab of good strong glue on each side of the pins and let dry good before you put your covers back on that should take care of that ever happening. You will enjoy the heck out of the hut, there is tons of room.

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Look at glens outdoor also they were on sale for $139 I think but don't know what shipping will cost...

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:35 AM »
First I was not calling U out gemcityslayer. Im sorry u took it that way. My point was to just give Eskimo achance to fix the prblem and put there customer service to the test. They know there's a problem and if we call them on it it sounds like they r going to Make it right. That was my point.
Matt

Nc

I think Eskimo makes some great products.  If you look I have praised the quickfish series over and over again.  I'm hardly throwing "them" under the bus, if by "them" you mean Eskimo?.  I'm just voicing my dissatisfaction with the fatfish I purchased. 

I feel like we are beating a dead horse here...   I guess people are just used to this type of thing these days.  You know, cheap products, made with cheap labor.  Faulty products.  Nothing is made to last anymore, it's true.  But I've used and abused my quickfish 3 for 3 years now and it is still standing strong.  No problems.  Not one.  I'll stand for a product like that.

What I won't stand for is having my unit fall apart on me on the 2nd trip I take it out.  If I were the only person with this problem, I'd probably just go ahead and say to hell with it I got a bad unit one out of how many... I'll just fix it and use it.  But that is not the case, I had my problem and then I started searching the internet to see if anyone else had my problem... to see if it wasn't just mine.  Turns out this is happening to a lot of people with their new fatfish.  I don't like the idea of rewarding Eskimo for mass producing something that falls apart like this.  If they fix it and the problems go away... great.

I'm just giving my view of things:  I appreciate and understand everyone elses... do what you wish with your fatfish.   Gemcity - out.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 14, 2012, 02:51 PM »
I didn't take it personally.

I'm glad some people are enjoying their units!! I'm glad Eskimo is aware of the problem and fixing it!!

Truth be told, the BIGGEST factor in deciding to take mine back was not the hub / rod / pin issue.   I felt that my 949i was not as sturdy and stable in very high winds.  (when compared to my quickfish 3).  When I realized this, and realized that the 949i is NOT much warmer than my quickfish3.  (The 949i does hold heat better, but there is also more volume of air to keep heated - in the end I felt the quickfish3 was about as warm as my 949i).   Add those 2 facts with the fact that I can purchase two quickfish 3's for the price of one 949i.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:21 PM »

Good to know GEM. I wanted the 949i for the size plus the insulated was a bonus. I think it might be 2 years before I get one to make sure all the defective huts are through the system. Really pisses me off however as I really wanted a 949. 

I didn't take it personally.

I'm glad some people are enjoying their units!! I'm glad Eskimo is aware of the problem and fixing it!!

Truth be told, the BIGGEST factor in deciding to take mine back was not the hub / rod / pin issue.   I felt that my 949i was not as sturdy and stable in very high winds.  (when compared to my quickfish 3).  When I realized this, and realized that the 949i is NOT much warmer than my quickfish3.  (The 949i does hold heat better, but there is also more volume of air to keep heated - in the end I felt the quickfish3 was about as warm as my 949i).   Add those 2 facts with the fact that I can purchase two quickfish 3's for the price of one 949i.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Well I guess we are of the mindset that when we pay that much for something... it should not be faulty.  Others feel the same way, they just don't want to go through the hassle of taking it back... sending it back, etc... and they are willing to try and fix it.  (Very doable).

I got mine from cabelas and taking it back wasn't a big deal for me... I was heading there anyways.  Piece of cake.  If I had purchased it from somewhere and taking it back was too much of a hassle, due to shipping or whatever... I'd just fix it. 

Sounds like Eskimo is aware of it now though and I bet the next production of them will be fixed.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 14, 2012, 10:03 PM »
 I dont think you need to wait two years. It sounded to me like they were going to address all the issues everybody had trouble with. You cant even buy a 949i until next season there are not any left in stock anywhere. All the new stock should all be the new improved version. I want the 949i for the insulating factor esp. since it is the whole hut not just the top. I thought about going with the std. 949 but thought it would be better to wait for the insulated. I'm still going back and fourth on that one. I should just go with the std. one but keep thinking it would be nice not to have the condensation in the hut.
 Matt

Good to know GEM. I wanted the 949i for the size plus the insulated was a bonus. I think it might be 2 years before I get one to make sure all the defective huts are through the system. Really pisses me off however as I really wanted a 949.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 14, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Throw a blanket over it.  Real simple fix for the "rain".  Even a poly tarp works to provide an insulating barrier.  Did it for years with my clam classic and my Yukon before I added the Refectix.  I do have the 949i and am extremely happy with it, even in 55mph wind gusts here on the Rocky Mtn Front.  One of the lucky ones I guess.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 14, 2012, 10:37 PM »
Right on.  I did some work up in East Glacier Village a while back... those winds up there are crazy strong.

I think the 949i could handle 60mph or more probably.  I just don't think it would be as sturdy as a smaller, more compact, quickfish3.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:57 PM »
people on here are saying they have had poles pop out of clam shelters too b/c of faulty pins.  I thought the clam shelters didn't have pins but were more of a rounded knob that fit inside a recess in the hub?

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 15, 2012, 12:30 AM »
I bought a regular 949 from a local store this afternoon, I talked to the manager about the possibility of the poles in the hub having a defect.  He assured me that if I had any problems with my FatFish that I could bring it back to the store and get my money back.  He told me that this hut was from the last shipment that the store recieved from Eskimo in early January. 

First thing I did after getting it out of the box was to take the covers off all the hubs and check to make sure that all of the pins were secure.  All my pins & pole ends were good to go.  So then I set up and hook it down 10-12 times and then took all the covers off again and all the pins & ends were still good.

I'm going to take it out this weekend and test it out in the SoDak winds and see how it holds up.

Offline shelby stanga

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Looks like turtle for dinner tonight paw paw...
« Reply #80 on: Feb 20, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Well, my season is just about over up here in Southeast Michigan and my 949i made it through without any problems. I will however email Eskimo and inquire about a bigger bag. I was thinking of getting a big hockey equipment bag to store it. That's the only thing that sucks is the amount of time it takes to get the shanty in the bag and zip it up. Great input in this thread and I think everyone would agree that Eskimo will go out of their way to make you a lifelong customer.
Here we go!!!

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:45 PM »
We should keep this thread open because there are lots who want a fat fish , including me.  We are using a 'sub-zero' right now ( 4 man hub) and its bag is huge we have never had an issue getting her in.   I thought a few bungee cords could wrap her up too ??do we really need he bags ?

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:41 PM »
well to keep this thread going- I have got a New 2013 FatFish 949I and have had it out a few times and "NO" issues so far. The poles are alittle curved which bothered me some so i wrote Eskimo and the lady called me back in 1-day.. Said this is normal because of how new it was and the materal had to streach.. So we will keep using it and see how it does.. But the Insulation is great- keep you warm with a small Mr Heater Hunting Buddy heater on low and no condinsation or dripping in the tent.. Works like a dream!!!
Marvin

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Anyone have issues with the 767i fatfish
Also looking at my hunting blind all hubs Are even when folded up on my 767i the ceiling hub is out further than the others . Normal? Never the less everything functions well time will tell as I have a tendency to heavily use and abuse all my equipment
FLAG!!!

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Just went and opened up the hubs on my 767 I and found no pins or place for pins in any of the Assembly's might be just a 979 and up thing
FLAG!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:10 AM »
I haven't had a chance to use mine yet but when I set it up it looks to be well made.  When I get to use it I will post a report.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #86 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Good to hear. I plan on ordering a 949 I at some point. One question- I hear a lot about the bag. Is it possible to just use a few bungees to hold it together if you have a sled to put it on instead of bagging and unbagging it on a lake? Then just using the bag to hold it when you get home?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Good to hear. I plan on ordering a 949 I at some point. One question- I hear a lot about the bag. Is it possible to just use a few bungees to hold it together if you have a sled to put it on instead of bagging and unbagging it on a lake? Then just using the bag to hold it when you get home?
That should work but remember to air it out when you get home to get any moisture off it so it doesn't mildew.
<===Lefty===

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:20 PM »
I'm looking at one of these for spearing, I wanna bump this to get some more feedback about the newer ones

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Jan 10, 2014, 02:37 AM »
I took the straps off of two old life jackets and am using them for additional straps to make it easier to put it in the bag.  The bag could be bigger but other than that I have no issues with mine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.