Author Topic: Simcoe  (Read 1660 times)

Offline princesskaz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Let's go Fishin'!!
Simcoe
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Spent a great day on Simcoe Saturday, non stop action all day!  Anywhere from 6-10 inches of ice, pick ups driving out there on the ice.  Major action, kept 52 9" or better out of about 200.  Beautiful.  Went out of Port Bolster and fished this side of the river!  Happy Fishing everyone!
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of anything else!!

Offline landry

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Simcoe
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:20 PM »
we were in bolster too and did very poorly as did almost everyone we talked to.
Good job on your catches
 we moved 10 times by sled from 18-28' and never really found any good sized ones:(
Maybe next time!
Landry

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:09 AM »
Went out by sled saturday as well. Kept 8 jumbos, threw back at least 30 smaller fish. Fishing was definately tougher than usual. Thickest ice encountered was 13".  Deepest we fished was 25'..shallowest 19'. Landry was that you on the 2-up? Saw that sled buzzing from place to place. We were off by 4:30. Heading back this weekend, hopefully there's some snow.  cf

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Heading out to Simcoe tomorrow. My buddy went out monday and wednesday and killed em. He seen a guy with a bag of Jumbos all over 12" today. Were heading to that spot tomorrow, hopefully the fish will still be in that area. I'm just following along but I think we are going to Virginia Beach. Just happy to be getting out. ;D

Born to fish...Forced to work...To pay for Fishing!!!

Offline landry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Heading out to Simcoe tomorrow. My buddy went out monday and wednesday and killed em. He seen a guy with a bag of Jumbos all over 12" today. Were heading to that spot tomorrow, hopefully the fish will still be in that area. I'm just following along but I think we are going to Virginia Beach. Just happy to be getting out. ;D

Yes - most likely. A sled with a flip clam. We figured we would find them - never really did. We landed about 40 or so - mostly small. It was tough for us. Still fun though.
Fished shallow - deep.
Should have stayed on first spot:)
I may hit Virginia Bch on Sat with my kids if it is not too windy.
Landry

Offline landry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:07 PM »
sorry - I quoted the wrong post:)
I should go to bed!

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:49 AM »
Landry, Have you ever tried perching near any of the shoals? Duclos point? Off the island maybe? Now that I'm mobile I'd love to try fishing them. I'm always searching for structure and port B is lacking in that regards.. good luck at V beach.. 

Offline landry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Landry, Have you ever tried perching near any of the shoals? Duclos point? Off the island maybe? Now that I'm mobile I'd love to try fishing them. I'm always searching for structure and port B is lacking in that regards.. good luck at V beach..

No - i have only ice fished simcoe once. Just got into ice fishing last year:) Addicted badly now.
I have perch fished out of sibbald park in my boat at ice out a few times and really liked it.
I think my daughter would like to fish shallow water and see the fish at Virginia - the parking just sucks there!!! Not really pumped about parking on the ice this year.
Thanks for the best wishes.
Landry

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Do you think that the lake will be safe for truck traffic around the 9th of Feb?  I am going with a group of guys to Simcoe on my first ever trip out there ever, we are staying on Georgina Island, and we drive on the lake to get there. 

I would hate for there not to be enough ice for our trip...

Thanks guys.

Offline landry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:48 PM »
They are driving there now. That's all I can tell you. You would think it would get colder/stay colder by then but who knows.
You could always walk to the island:) or pay a hut operator to pull your stuff out there.

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:14 PM »
Made it out to VB today. Found the Jumbos @).

Me and buddy caught about 60 with a couple over 13". Lots of fish around 11-12 inches.

Fished in about 15 foot of water and were beating them off with a stick to target the bigget ones. Cool sight fishing for Big Jumbos when they come in. We could have caught well over a hundred if we wanted to. Seen a few buckets with lots of fish in the 13" size. The bite is definately on. A great day chasing Simcoe candy.

Try to post some pics later if I can get em off the phone. I'll ask the kids to help me with that.

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:09 AM »
I'm a computer loser!!!

Got the pics off phone onto photobucket account copied the IMG but can't paste on post for some reason.

Try again tomorrow.

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:29 AM »

Figured it out!!

2 Jumbos both 13"

Nice Pile O Perch ;D

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2012, 04:19 PM »
Nice fish Jigs!  Looked quite comfy out there in a sweatshirt!  Those days are always awesome.  Where the ice conditions solid?

Offline Millsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Is there an ice taxi that runs out of VB or PB? How far do you have to go out?
I have never been to Simcoe.
Thanks John

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Is there an ice taxi that runs out of VB or PB? How far do you have to go out?
I have never been to Simcoe.
Thanks John
i have no clue about an ice taxi. the perch grounds are not that far from shore.

Offline Millsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Ok, thanks. I plan on going next weekend but I 'm not sure how far my Dad can walk.

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2012, 11:36 PM »
There are two hut operators out of VB. I'm sure they would taxi you out but you gotta pay to play. I have all my own gear and usually walk but my buddy has a bum leg and wanted to use an operator. Good thing we did as it would have killed me walking home. The Jumbos were in about 15 foot of water. You can walk to the perch grounds for sure but from what I seen you have to go into the deeper areas to get the Jumbos.

The ice was fairly flat and almost no snow. It was about 8-10" where we were. Some cars out there but not for me.

Offline landry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:42 PM »

I took my daughter (8yr old) out on foot. We set up our hut up in 12 foot or so and just crushed them. She got a 13+" jumbo right off the bat and we were laughing and high five-ing when she looks down the hole and says "Holy crap - get the fish off, there's a bunch just as big down there!" Priceless! Good memories made:)
We could have filled the bucket with quality fish, but chose to only keep a dozen nice ones. Played keepaway with the little guys all day.
My son and I will go next!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.