The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eskimo Blade Sharpening  (Read 1626 times)

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
Eskimo Blade Sharpening
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you have a local suggestion for sharpening Eskimo Quantum blades?  I have an 8" auger, and have done a search yielding all kinds of stuff (like you might imagine).  Unless I find a local dude/dudette, I'll send 'em to Ardisam or try my hand at 'em myself.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Blade Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:32 AM »
I've always done mine myself.  If they aren't too far out of whack I use a honing stone to put a new edge on them.  If they're in bad shape put them in a bench vice and use a flat file to get the edge back and then fine tune them with a honing stone.  It takes a little practice but if you're patient and take your time you might be amazed at what you can do.  Not sure if this does any good for a blade as thick as an auger blade but I also run a sharpening steel along the cutting edge from time to time, like chefs do to their knives.  A steel doesn't actually sharpen anything but it aligns the atoms in the blade so they are stronger and cut better.  Its kind of like a preventative tune up kind of thing.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:26 AM »
I know a couple of people who have done a blade exchange with fish307.  They keep the blades you send in and they send you a set of sharpened used blades. 

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:45 AM »
Oil stone...file and stone if nicked bad. Watch the angle and go slow and easy......watch the fingers !!! Don't be afraid to try.....if you find you're unable to get it right.....you can always send um out after ! Good luck !        I sharpen knives and blades....generaly shipping is more than the sharpenning charge now days !!                 Just a little practice and patience and you can too !!! (maybe!) lol     Enjoy   @)
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Thanks guys, I sharpen my own lathe knives, I guess I just need to man up and do it.  I lack confidence because the lathe knives that give me the most trouble are the flat ones.  I also had someone teach me how to do that.  Guess I'll give it a try and if I ruin 'em, just send 'em out.  I have one of those red DMT sharpening stones, but have never used it.  Oh well, time to try.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:30 AM »
I have an old Mora hand auger with dull blades (even though you'd slice your finger off if you aren't careful, it
won't drill a hole worth a #$@%!! 

I asked the guy at the supply shop if I could sharpen them and he said...I quote

"NOPE!!  Nobody has ever successfully sharpened one of these blades, not even a machine shop". 

They get $30 for a new set, and of course I suckered for them....but was he feeding me a line of bull?

Should I hold on to the old set and sharpen them or have them sharpened?
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:18 AM »
They sell hones for Mora blades.  Little hand held jobbie for cleaning up nicked blades etc.  Look under accessories on any online icefishing supplier.  I think he was trying to sell you some blades.  Hold onto the old set, sharpen yourself or take 'em to someone who sharpens, then you'll have backup.

On the other hand, I split the difference last night.  I honed my old blades on my fine oil stone.  There was a fair burr on the back side, so I flattened them and then "figure eighted" the face (paying attention to keeping the angle)  They feel sharp, we'll see how they cut.  I also ordered replacements from Gander.  Could see some nicks in the face, so it's no mystery why they were not cutting well.

Offline Weedmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:08 PM »
I also tried having Mora blades sharpened 2x they would cut everything but ice!Bought new ones.

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:48 PM »
There is a local fellow who sharpens all sorts of auger blades. He has his card at dockside and if he is still doing it you can leave your blades at the shop and he will pick them up, sharpen them and return them. I had him do 2 pairs of Eskimo turbo cut blades which are curved and serrated and they came out great. Best thing to do is call Big Ben at Dockside and see if The fellow is still doing it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.