The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: trout  (Read 2262 times)

Offline dewdude

• IceShanty Rookie
trout
« on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:13 PM »
just wondering if anyone fishs by the twin islands on magog for trout salmon etc and catch any

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:34 PM »
People do but they are far and few between.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Its not like it use to be.  I think it has to do with more Pike, spreading out, into the trout waters.  Just my opinion.   ;D >:(

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Your right.
It's hurt the smelt population also.
i kill every pike i can they are worth less it takes long to re establish a trout population than a pike population
aka halfrack23 willoughby lake

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:37 PM »
i kill every pike i can they are worth less it takes long to re establish a trout population than a pike population

A previous statement like this is why I never offered any help on pike fishing when you were looking for it.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:54 PM »
A previous statement like this is why I never offered any help on pike fishing when you were looking for it.

X2. Maybe I'll start killing every trout and salmon out there come to think of it...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:41 PM »
X2. Maybe I'll start killing every trout and salmon out there come to think of it...
I have fished trout and pike and will say i can see both sides! Pike hae their places and in this case i wouldnt say it is magog! For hundreds of years magog has been a prime trout and salmon fishery and 10 or 15 years ago some moron decides it would be fun to dump a few pike in the southbay where the rainbows run through every spring to spawn! It dont take much common sence to see that pike are a INVASIVE SPECIES in lake memphremagog and do no belong here. I like to catch a pike as well as anyone but also like to trout fish and find it pretty stupid to ruin an ancient fishery!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Brown trout are invasive, as well as largemouth bass in a lot of places around here and smallies in some cases.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:24 AM »
I have fished trout and pike and will say i can see both sides! Pike hae their places and in this case i wouldnt say it is magog! For hundreds of years magog has been a prime trout and salmon fishery and 10 or 15 years ago some moron decides it would be fun to dump a few pike in the southbay where the rainbows run through every spring to spawn! It dont take much common sence to see that pike are a INVASIVE SPECIES in lake memphremagog and do no belong here. I like to catch a pike as well as anyone but also like to trout fish and find it pretty stupid to ruin an ancient fishery!
x2 that the only place i dont like cing them is in magog no doubt in my mind that they are damaging the trout and salmon population .......

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:36 AM »
if they were put there through illegal stocking, I am not cool with that either.  Too many good fisheries get ruined that way.

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:43 PM »
if they were put there through illegal stocking, I am not cool with that either.  Too many good fisheries get ruined that way.
They were definitely put in illegaly unless a blue heron some how crapped a couple out while flying ove but thats doubtful! >:( The problem is that nobody knows exactly when or by who they were stocked but they definitely dont belong!

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:04 PM »
You guys are starting to sound like you are from Maine! They have thread after thread about this topic. It's a tough subject, with no clear cut answer. One thing is for certain there is no place for bucket biologists!

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:01 PM »
One thing is for certain there is no place for bucket biologists!
I heartily agree!

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:30 PM »
I heartily agree!
What is a bucket biologist? Not to sound naeeve but i never heard that term!

Offline Magog Landshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I got this from the Fishes in Vermont book published by VT Fish and Willdlife. 

Northern Pike

Food Within 7-10 days after hatching the young are consuming small fish.  This consummate predator has been labeled an “omnivorous carnivore” because of the wide range and large size (up to one half its length) of its prey.  Among the prey reported are fish, cray fish, frogs, mice, muskrats, and ducklings.  A recent record noted an 18 inch Atlantic salmon in the gut of a 38 inch Northern  Pike collected from Lake Champlain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t see any way that you can describe the introduction of Pike into a lake like Magog as a good thing.   I can also imagine that harvesting pike to reduce its impact on trout predation is probably similar to the debate about whether killing more coyotes helps the deer population.  Until someone with more alphabet soup after their name than me can explain that the trout and salmon will adapt and not be impacted by pike introduction, or that harvesting pike does not increase trout numbers, I say save a trout make pike chowder.     
Farewell and adieu, to you fair spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've just received orders, for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore, shall we see you again.
-Quint

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:09 AM »
Back to the O.P. question, who has caught decent fish by the Islands and Province Island? I am fishing it for my first year, and in 6 outings have had one big Laker to the hole but only perch aside from that.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:21 AM »
Relheok sounds about right, can be a desert up there but then it happens
 and lake turns on - big fish dominate the catch.  :tipup:

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:34 AM »
I am thinking that my shanty will be on a different lake next year.

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:40 AM »
Back to the O.P. question, who has caught decent fish by the Islands and Province Island? I am fishing it for my first year, and in 6 outings have had one big Laker to the hole but only perch aside from that.
The lakers are there and can be caught almost daily but it sounds to me that you need to start fishing a different depth so as to catch the trout and not the perch!

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:55 PM »
I got this from the Fishes in Vermont book published by VT Fish and Willdlife. 

Northern Pike

Food Within 7-10 days after hatching the young are consuming small fish.  This consummate predator has been labeled an “omnivorous carnivore” because of the wide range and large size (up to one half its length) of its prey.  Among the prey reported are fish, cray fish, frogs, mice, muskrats, and ducklings.  A recent record noted an 18 inch Atlantic salmon in the gut of a 38 inch Northern  Pike collected from Lake Champlain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t see any way that you can describe the introduction of Pike into a lake like Magog as a good thing.   I can also imagine that harvesting pike to reduce its impact on trout predation is probably similar to the debate about whether killing more coyotes helps the deer population.  Until someone with more alphabet soup after their name than me can explain that the trout and salmon will adapt and not be impacted by pike introduction, or that harvesting pike does not increase trout numbers, I say save a trout make pike chowder.     
well put

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.