The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing flies  (Read 1824 times)

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing flies
« on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:59 PM »
A while back someone asked about using flies for jigging perch.  Here's a few I've tied up the past couple of days.  Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but they look pretty hot to me!!  Actually, I did try them in my fish tank, my goldfish was not amused, and they had some great action to them.  Can't wait to give them a shot!!

Offline ssinvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing flies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Those look great!

Offline oldcatamount

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:55 PM »
The ones I use, look more like a Royal Coachman with extra red thread. So far, the red is making the difference but, who knows, it may change anytime. The smaller the better though, size 12 and smaller work pretty good.

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Thanks, the bigger ones are a size 6 and the smaller ones are 12.  I definitely like the smaller ones better.  I'll be experimenting with sizes and colors and we'll see what the perch like to eat.  I'll keep you posted on what I can catch with these guys..............

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:28 PM »
The flies we had used one time were a lot "rougher" looking than those and they caught fish.  I'm guessing they were probably 20 years old and had seen better days. .  They were just one plain solid color in blue and red.  I have since picked up some more and are waiting for a chance to try them.  Does anybody tip them with any meat.     

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I usually run a black fly tipped with an eye or nothing and a hooked minnow below.  Catch fish on both.  Sometimes doubles.

Offline DW198

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Nice flies!

Offline NastyNate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Being an avid flyfisherman and fly tyer I was very interested in ice fishing with flies. The only problem I found was getting them deeeep. Fishing at lake Carmi the perch tend to be on the bottom in the deepest spots 25-30'. Gotta get some tungsten and tie them sparce. Also thought about rigging them tandem above a heavier jig.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Using a little lead core line in your flies will help get them down for the deeper fishing.  ;)

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:05 AM »
I added as much weight as I possibly could and they actually sink pretty well.  25 feet might be a stretch though.  I had thought about fishing them above a spoon or something similar for extra weight and as an attractant.  My tying skills are a tad rusty and I'm gradually working my way towards smaller and sparcer, so its kind of a work in progress.  Now if the wind would stop blowing for a few days maybe the lake will get some decent ice so I can go experiment with them!!

Offline bow65lb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Nice work... I'd be interested as well in knowing how they work in deeper water (20-30ft)...  Let us know how you make out...

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:10 PM »
One thing I've been doing is wrapping a caddis hook shaft with non-lead wire for the body and then painting the body with nail poilish. Yes, nail polish. Lots of colors to choose from (stole my wife's, pink has been hot lately!).  The windings on the wire still show through the polish and make it look like a seqmented insect body. I've been using black marabou for tails, great action,  and adding tinsel for flash. They sink pretty well and the perch and panfish love 'em. I'll try to post some pics.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:59 PM »
If anybody is interested go to the home page, scroll down to jigging,  at the top of the page is a making your own jigs section. On there is a 14 page thread on ice flies.
Lots of ones made with lead wire and coated with nail polish. Looks like they are the ticket for perch and bluegills.

Offline vtfisher49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2012, 10:13 PM »
they are called A-Bombs and they work great tipped with a spike....they are more of a jig than a fly

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:27 PM »
they are called A-Bombs and they work great tipped with a spike....they are more of a jig than a fly

Here are some of the "jigs" I made with wire bodies and painted with nail polish (A-bombs?). Also some flies that have worked well this year. Those also have non-lead wire wrapped around the hook shaft with different colored floss for bodies, marabou or gray squirrel for tails, and wrapped with a grizzly hackle. The perch were hammering these last weekend.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.