Author Topic: Do you go out alone?  (Read 10602 times)

MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Do you go out alone?
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:31 AM »
I go alone 100% of the time. There are a number of things you want to keep in mind. Is there snow on the ice? If not, you can "read" the ice by looking at the cracks. The cracks will give you some idea of the ice thickness.....not in inches.....but if it's just an inch or many inches. Clear black ice is the ultimate risk, unless you spud it to find out how thick it is.....and you'll typically find out it isn't very thick!! Like the guys said, learn your body of water. Talk with others and ask about potential danger spots or characteristics.....th ey'll tell ya.....they don't want to be hauling your *** out later. Following other's tracks isn't fool proof, but if someone just passed that way, you'll likely be OK. If you the first one out and you're alone, you had better have an escape plan.......not just a theoretical one, but one you have tested or proven will work. Hand spikes are a great idea, but once you body has been submerged in that ice cold water, you won't have the strength of a baby! If you doubt me, the next time your town has a "polar plunge" do it and see just how long you can stand being in there, and pay attention how difficult it is to walk out, and imagine trying to pull yourself UP ONTO the ice surface wearing fully soaked carhartts or other coveralls!!! I always go by, "if I think it could be too dangerous, I pass on it so I can go fishing again tomorrow".

ed

outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:32 AM »
What's the difference between black and clear ice

Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:09 AM »
What's the difference between black and clear ice
"Black" and "clear" ice are the same.  It has few or no air bubbles in it, and is very transparent.  The more air that is in the ice, the weaker it gets. 

Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:19 AM »
I'm probably the minority on this, But I never drink on the ice or in the boat.. Afterwards I don't mind a few...

You're not alone. 
Chris Raymond

MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2012, 12:49 AM »
Black.....or clear ice is the scariest for me because there is nothing to give you any indication how thick it is.....visually. After a bit, ice usually gets some cracks in it, or perhaps some trapped bubbles percolating up from the bottom, Until that happens, 1/2" looks the same as 6". Course if the ice is covered with snow.......you're really flying blind and much more care is required venturing forth.

shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:03 PM »
I go out alone sometimes. I only fish a couple bodies of water and know the areas well. I usually don't venture too far off course on the 4 wheeler if there's under 10" of ice or so going back and forth to the shacks.

laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:57 PM »
I go out 99% of the time alone as well :tipup:

gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2012, 05:39 PM »
alone over 85% of the time. next door neighbor, wife (HA), kids (HA HA) and grandkids (HA HA HA) the rest of the time.
can't pull myself out of the pool with ice picks in the summer time, not much use in the winter.
last ice, not ashamed to wear a float coat and waders. the waders are to get to the ice and back to shore.
first ice, usually wait for 3-4'' before taking the quad out.  it floats, have pictures to prove it. 
depends on how bad you want to go fishing and what it's worth to you. yes, it could be your life if you mess up. 
the bottom line is there's no such thing as ''safe ice'', just ice that you are willing to risk your life and equipment on.

delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2012, 06:59 PM »
I go out probably 90 percent of the time, I can't tell you how or why experiance has taught me pretty much what I can trust. fortunatly I have never been in, and if I did I have hopefully thought and planned on how it would go.
:icefish:

UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2012, 07:31 PM »
i did alot until new years eve of this year and i went throught where there was a spring.  Now, im really aprehensive about going out alone.  if it wernt for a stranger that spotted me and came with a rope and hauled me out who knows where i would be.

It took me a couple of seasons for my on ice apprehension to completely go away after my experience with an under ice spring. That particular time I happened to be fishing with someone else. For the most part I fish alone, and I'm good with that.

nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2012, 08:22 PM »
For years I did. Now my sons are grown and come with me. If I did not bring them with they would think some things wrong.
I took them with when ice conditions where good when they where small. I*ce is never 100% safe they where taught that then and witnessed mishaps too. Last winter we lost a friend, he went though near a pressure ridge. He was alone and after dark. Took weeks to find him. Seems in MN that happens very season even when we go with buddy's. Take care.

JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40 makes me sweat.
« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2012, 09:15 PM »
I am almost never alone, I have a list of people who enjoy going out but Im the only one with the gear.  Doing what I can to change that.  Night ice fishing i am usually solo.

NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I go out alone about 25% of the time.  But that is on lakes I have already been on.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. Izaak Walton

ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Im solo probably 95% of the time but that's bc I don't have friends!  :'(
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40 makes me sweat.
« Reply #34 on: Oct 13, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Im solo probably 95% of the time but that's bc I don't have friends!  :'(

This is the year buddy, we will actually meet up.  This will be nice me not having to supply and setup everything.

addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Fish alone quite often, but always try to make good decisions, and not take stupid chances.  If I am alone at early ice, I will only fish water where others are fishing.

ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2012, 11:25 PM »
This is the year buddy, we will actually meet up.  This will be nice me not having to supply and setup everything.
Ik im excited! We can call inHISgrip too! I've got a few ppl on the call list this year!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

jvanness

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 13, 2012, 11:55 PM »
I'm 25, been ice fishing for 15 years, and to this day never go alone. Not because of the risks of falling through(though they're constantly in my head) but more so if I fall and break something or fall and hit my head and get unconscious. Other reason is, after long day on ice, coming off, getting into a car with heat blasting, very easy to get comfortable and fall asleep at the wheel(most of my ice fishing is half hour to two hours away) having a second person in the car helps staying awake and if I do get tired then we switch. Plus I do majority of fishing with my dad Who is 62 and we Just make sure be both come home the way we left except with a bigger smile on our face, little wind/sun burn and in Need of a bed or nap desperately.

Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Never go alone... fishing alone would be way too boring. Who am I supposed to outfish?  ;D

Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Three out of four times I go alone since I fish a lot during the day during the week since I work the midnight shift.  One the weekends I go with someone.  I always take the same things when ever I go out.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.