Author Topic: ST. CROIX SPRING BOBBER  (Read 11271 times)

Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: ST. CROIX SPRING BOBBER
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Cant help ya there, sorry!

gridtel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:05 PM »
St croix is highly sensitive. Love it.

Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:14 PM »
I got a St. Croix Legend several years (free with Cabelas points) and it is one of my favorites for gills, perch, and crappie. The rubber grommets tend  crack with age though; I think I'm on my third one now. As mentioned above, I found mine at a local hardware store and bought several. I sometimes put clear cellophane tape on the back part of mine up to the grommet. It's easy to get slack line caught in it, and a b***h to fix when the light goes down. Luckily it only seems to happen when the fish are on a tear. ::)

Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:50 AM »
Never had a problem with rubber grommet cracking.  Do you store them in the garage up above?  The heat might have something to do with that, had mine for almost 6 yrs, have caught the line in spring from time to time, but the more u use it the better you know your spring!

jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Well, after going to the bother of sending the size 8's back and getting the 7's, I learn the 7's have the ceramic in them, I might end up breaking out the ceramic as the grommet might fit then.
KeepfishN4fun

Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Do a search and the guys that did their own I m pretty sure its a #8 but if it wont fit it wont fit!!

mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:30 AM »
I have been using the snake guides that are on fly rods, the nice thing with them is that you can bend them a bit to get the grommet to fit properly  :)
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Gills- only, my rods are in the garage which means they get some extreme heat in the summer as you suggested. The only time I really seem to have trouble with line getting in the spring is when I am fishing past dark, and more so if it is windy. I know the set up well though ; I've been using it for years and it  is the one rig that is always on the sled.

Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2014, 03:44 PM »
When I first started using the spring I got it tangled in spring, what a mess, since I have been more careful and use every day and did not tangle once last year, I'm pretty fussy with my stuff!

VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:24 PM »
How do you all store your St Croix springs? With my first one, I stored the jig attached to the jig catch by the handle. It ended up leaving a kink in the bobber. I do not want to leave the line any looser, as it seems to get tangled with other rods of I do that.

I push the spring all the way through the grommet towards the reel, so the loop on the spring is resting on the eye of the grommet.  Then I attach the lure to the hook holder or eye and reel the line tight. 
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2015, 05:36 PM »
I push the spring all the way through the grommet towards the reel, so the loop on the spring is resting on the eye of the grommet.  Then I attach the lure to the hook holder or eye and reel the line tight.
           I store mine between trips with the spring extended(all the way out) leave hook on and hook to holder, and tighten it up.  Always springs right back like the day it was new!!  I have the gold spring, if that makes a difference!

Majja13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2016, 11:32 AM »
There was a fantastic step by step DIY thread on making your own in the Jiggin forum not too long ago.

Anyone mind linking this article in this thread please?

jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:36 PM »
A couple years ago my wife got me a St.Croix rod with the spring bobber, $50. Well the tip broke about 3 inches from the end. Too close to the next eye to just put the spring bobber back on. I called St. Croix about warranty but they said it would cost me $20 plus shipping to fix. So much for what I thought was a lifetime warranty. So now I'm just looking to put the spring bobber on another rod.
jbird68

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.