Author Topic: Depth Markers  (Read 8135 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Depth Markers
« on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:53 PM »
I was just wondering what you guys use for depth markers on tipup line.  I have been using those tiny red and white bobbers for years.  One time, I lost a nice fish when my hand caught the bobber.  I am thinking about trying something else.  One guy on here uses a bead with the line going through it twice.  I was also thinking about using a thread bobber-stop that you tighten up on the line, that can slide up and down..  It seems like it might freeze when moving from one hole to another though.

Offline WOODYPIKEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Depth Markers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:58 AM »
I tie a slip knot that pulls out when the fish bites.

Offline perch_seeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:56 AM »
I simply use a button from a shirt (dark color) use 2 holes and the button slides to any depth you want to mark.

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:04 AM »
smallest split shot,,its nice and easy to adjust,i use my teeth,,fingers stay warm

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:05 AM »
white button threaded on the line

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Bobber stop

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waugh!! I have the hair of the BEAR in me!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:13 PM »
Yepper just use a white shirt button with the line in two of the holes.
Keeps it's place and very easy to adjust.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:29 PM »
The smallest non-removable type split shot I can find. You know, the kind without the 'flaps' on the back side that you bite to open them?

Offline MLBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Hard to beat the white shirt button.  Thread the line through two holes diagonally apart.  Easy to see, easy to adjust, and stays where you put it.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:38 PM »
 An orange button, small enough that it fits though the line guide and wraps onto the spool with the line. One doesn't lose them like split shot or the bobber style.

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Tiny hair elastics are my preferred line markers, wear them like rings on my fingers as I'm setting up.

I got some of those tiny bobbers for Christmas, might give them a shot when I'm out of elastics.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:13 PM »
I personally dont use anything on the tip up its self. I have a depth finder that i use that is a big weight on a thin piece of wood and about 100 feet of kite string on it. Send the weight to the bottom, hold the line at the top of the hole pull the weight out kick a couple marks in the ice or snow for depth. Then just figure out how deep you want to fish. Always know how deep it is by the mark on the ice. To many time slid the marker on the tip up line and had to re measure.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:10 PM »
Sonar can indicate so much more, but, I guess it doesn't belong in this topic. :whistle:

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:48 PM »
Last season I asked about line marker for your tip up lines and had a great many helpful tips. I tried out one and had great luck with and thought that I would share it;

I got them at Radio shack for a few bucks and even cheaper on ebay;
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
I liked them better than any of the many other things that I have tried, buttons, knots/loops, small bobbers and rubber bands.
Easy to move on the line, with a little glow tape they worked great at night, Cheap, they held up, just enough floatation that if dropped in the hole they can be retrieved and no knots left in the line! As to using bobbler stoppers, I use them a lot in open water, but moving them back and forth on the wet freezing Dacron, would not work for me well I move my tip up to much...
To each his own, but here is one more "Tool"...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:50 PM »
I simply use a button from a shirt (dark color) use 2 holes and the button slides to any depth you want to mark.

x2

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:08 PM »
I picked up a pack of small 2 hole brightly colored buttons at wal-mart. They are only about 1/4" in diameter. On thicker plastic coated line I enlarge the holes.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:58 PM »
Sonar can indicate so much more, but, I guess it doesn't belong in this topic. :whistle:
I have a sonar that I use to initially check depths.  After that, I usually leave it in the shanty for jigging.  I would hate to haul it out to tipups everytime I trip a flag.  I just want to get the line and bait back down as quick as possible; reel it up to the marker and drop it down.  The buttons sound like a good idea.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:11 AM »
I know that buttons work great for many people, the problem that I have with them is, the same tip up is often moved from one hole at 4' and then to a hole at 30', then back to 8 '. Then at the end of the day, I have to slide the button (maybe over 30-40' of line) back down to the leader or it may be buried on the spool... If I don't move it down to the leader, the next time I am out, I will have to unwind my spool to get to the button... I did not find this to be fun with the wind, wet and time that it takes... I have gone on about this to help those that have not used a button before, to help them pick the right tool. I also know that most people do not move tip ups as much as I do and if you are fishing the same depth most of the time it would not be a issue. One last point; I have had buttons break in half and fall off the line, to put a new one on you have to cut the line, something I try to avoid in to the field. 

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:15 AM »
I switched to the bobber stops, lost fish on the edges of the holes when the buttons and bobber hung up and the hook pulled !  :'(

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:26 PM »
I tie a slip knot and put a match through it.

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:28 PM »
using a button works really good, havent tried anything else but havent had a reason to

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Little Red & White Bobbers, they just look the coolest! Haven't caused a missed fish since 1965 and hell it wasn't that big of a fish! ;D

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Tried the bobber thing I didn't like it b/c it would float my line off the spool.  Then I went to the buttons didn't like that either b/c like someone else said when I move my traps Its a pain in the tail pipe to slide that button up frozen line.  What works best for me is a small split shot,  about 1/16th oz.  I can bite it with my teeth to take it off the line set my new depth and then just put it back on with my teeth.  Frees up my hands.  It works for me.  I haven't swallowed any yet either   ;D

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:20 AM »
i have never had any trouble sliding my buttons up and down the line... so long as your have tip-ups where your spool stays underwater you should be fine

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:56 AM »
I tie a slip knot and put a match through it.

X2 wooded match piece 1/4" long or piece of toothpick

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:50 AM »
I used a button for years but it was always a pain to pull it back to the beginning at the end of the day. Also if the line got tangled due to wind or a floppy pike it was extra difficult to untangle the line. I switched to the bobbers last year and they work pretty good but it makes me nervous seeing them caught on the edge of the ice as im pulling in a big northern. Someone mentioned using the small rubber hair bands seems like the greatest idea. No tangle issues or getting caught on the ice. Only issue is its just one more thing to forget at home

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:35 AM »
I just loaded all of my tipups with bobber stops.  It was a pain, because I had to cut the swivels and re-tie them.  The only problem I can think of with this is, the Spiderwire I use for line might chafe the thread until it breaks.  If it doesn't work, I will just go back to the bobbers.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:22 AM »

Sonar can't tell you how much line the fish pulled out, or remind you how far off the bottom you had your trap set when you go to reset it!

I use thread bobber stops, and leave the tags a little long so I can retighten as needed.  The only pain is when changing depthe from deep to shallow, remember to slide the stop down as you bring the line in otherwise you'll have to pull a ton of line off the spool to get to the stop.
Prayin' for cold

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:45 AM »
I just don't think that the bobber stops will work that well especially if its really cold outside.  Atleast not were I'm from.  The line freeze the instant it comes out the hole, and to try and slide it down the line, I can just see it freezing and then beeing an absolute pain to slide down for me.   I think I'm going to stick to my small split shot. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:26 AM »
I am with you on not sliding anything up and down the line... And I am sure that the spit shot works very well, but I can't see how to use them with gloves on  and I stopped putting lead in my mouth along time ago. Of coarse (I hope) you useing using non-lead sinkers...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.