Author Topic: Making a portable fish finder case.  (Read 18199 times)

Offline Gus714

• IceShanty Rookie
Making a portable fish finder case.
« on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:20 AM »
I recently was given an obsolete Bottom  Line 1200 fish finder.  5 years old, but never used.  It works, but I want to make it portable.  Any ideas?  Wanted to buy a vexilar genz case but they are sold out.  Does anyone have an alternative idea?

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Making a portable fish finder case.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:28 AM »
ebay it up! i know there are some genz box's on there
USE A BOBBER!

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:09 AM »
What makes a 5yo unit obsolete? And why are you asking about making a case for an obsolete unit? If its deemed useless just give it to me and ill run it to the trash heap for ya  ;)

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:31 AM »
if you google it you should be able to find directions on how to make a genz box
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for stiff water
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:50 AM »
You could make one...
My m68 came with a soft case from Cabelas, but I decided I wanted a caddy to be able to hole hop and keep all my stuff organized... So I built this last year with wood and some PVC pipe. It holds everything I need so I can just grab my chair and go.

There is a PVC pipe (split down the middle) underneath the auger shaft I use as a handle so I can grab both the auger and caddy at the same time.

Patent Pending... All Rights reserved...   ;)2

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:15 AM »
You could also just mount a RAM mount to a bucket and mount a battery to the inside...instant hole-hopper!

Prayin' for cold

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:19 AM »
Little cooler with the reversible top works very well for my lowrance x67  ........  mount the finder to the top, secure the battery inside and that's that.

It travels well / safely with the unit and ducer inside the cooler ....  when you are ready to fish pop the top, flip it over, connect everything and you're fishin  ;)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Make one! Ebay wants $30 + sh/handling.  Made mine out of plywood. Yeah, it is heavier than plastic, but cost NOTHING! All scraps + left over blue spray bomb.

BIGJim223

Tinker

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:21 PM »
I mounted mine to a circle of plywood just a little smaller then the inside of a 5 gallon bucket.  Holds the cables (its my boat finder so lots of extra cord) and 5 ah battery all fit in a bucket.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:24 PM »
Here's an old one of mine that has seen a few different fishfinders.

From this:

To this:

To this:

And this:

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Man some cool ideas...I was born with little creativity  :-\

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:50 PM »

this one fit in a 5 gal pale

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Just made this one today at work with the help of our upholstery guy

Offline Gus714

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Great ideas...thanks!  Ebay was 41 and change with shipping, my local sporting goods store and vexilar on line were both out of stock.  Have plenty of scrap available, think I will make my own. Will post a photo when done.

Offline smerry018

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:27 PM »
some pretty awesome ideas.  I think I might have to build one now :P

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:41 AM »
You can even buy a plastic tool box to install the unit and battery and have enough space for the transducer and maybe a few extra goodies like a flashlight, small tackle box, knife etc.

I'm also in the process of organizing an old Lowrance flasher unit for ice fishing.  Lots of great ideas here.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:02 AM »
I use a small cooler with some foam glued to the inside. When i get to my area i set it up and put the unit on the lid works good for me. ;D

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:14 PM »
a friend of mine just made a case out of old bait bucket, didn't take picture but looks similar

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:59 PM »
i know this is silly but has anyone made one for the showdown. the case that comes with it is really cheesy

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vex puck?
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:26 PM »
And I'm trying to figure out how to adapt the Vexilar puck-type transducer (used on electric trolling motors) to icefishing.  (It needs to be level in the hole.)
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:42 PM »
The original "Genz Box" was made out of plywood and plans were posted in a winter issue of Infisherman back in the dark ages.  A jig saw, some plywood or pine boards, some nails and glue and you're done. Paint it if you feel the need.  Measure the parts, battery display etc. that you need to accommodate and built it to suit.  Can easily be made for under $20 even if you have to buy all the ingredients.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:59 PM »
The original "Genz Box" was made out of plywood and plans were posted in a winter issue of Infisherman back in the dark ages.  A jig saw, some plywood or pine boards, some nails and glue and you're done. Paint it if you feel the need.  Measure the parts, battery display etc. that you need to accommodate and built it to suit.  Can easily be made for under $20 even if you have to buy all the ingredients.

That is where I got my plans for my plywood "Genz Box". I photocopied that old article years ago and filed it away. I have made 3 different boxes over the years. They are a little heavier than the $30 plastic ones, but they hold up a lot better I bet. Plus I am just a cheapskate about buying a piece of overseas plastic when I can make it better for no $$$$$$! I even used a piece of scrap conduit, a bracket I made out of 1/8" flat bar, and a stick-on bullseye level for mounting the soft water skimmer transducer. Worked for years until I got a 'Bird Ice Trandsducer! You can see the 'ducer and conduit laying behind the box in my picture above.

BIGJim223

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vex puck?
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2012, 05:22 PM »
And I'm trying to figure out how to adapt the Vexilar puck-type transducer (used on electric trolling motors) to icefishing.  (It needs to be level in the hole.)
Have seen suggestion before of window arm(it hinges in middle). Been awhile but on one i used about quarter inch round stock,welded a nut to end of a piece. the piece that attached to it was same stock but with a washer welded on it for a thumb screw to go through before engaging nut. I think puck had a piece of flat stock with a slot in it,not sure if small hose clamps were used or if a small bolt welded to down rod with a wing nut to secure.
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:31 PM »

Offline JeJa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired and loving it
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2017, 01:05 PM »
I used a plastic ammo box. Everthing fits inside for transportation. Added an on/off switch and a light.
Somedays its not worthwhile chewing thru the restraints

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Me to

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2017, 06:16 PM »
For the past 10 years I have nested my Garmin 400 and two batteries in a large black Stanley tool box. I love it.  Sun warms it up a little and the batteries last a noticable bit longer when it's warmer than 20 degrees. I think it cost me around 15 or 20 bucks at home depot. The box makes a great place to put the fish finder up to a decent level to see from my seat. I made a small wooden base and have written my with of cone at different depths.  Example 50' down, 16'wide area.
Thread killer

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:12 PM »
I used a plastic ammo box. Everthing fits inside for transportation. Added an on/off switch and a light.

X3 have a small ammo box on order from cabelas that's in the mail as we speak I think it will fit two flasher batteries and some led lights around it for lighting I think the smaller box fits in a bucket were the larger model does not??  But will find out when it arives.. will find out what it holds and what it can't when it gets here tIll them can't wait for it to get here..  trying to trick a bucket for hole hopping so I am not carrying more then one bucket one spud and one auger .. the bucket handle will fit in the hoop on the auger handle for foot transport out.. I got to get some rod holders to go with the seat arived to day for it so will see how all comes out .. will post pictures as I get them..

Offline Steellord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2017, 01:50 PM »
My brother in law made me a very nice caddy to use my boat fish finder on the ice. I originally used it with a old Humminbird Pirahnamax 160 fish finder.
When I got a Lowrance HDS-5. I adapted it for that one. It works very well as a portable caddy. Here is a link to the album of pictures.  https://imgur.com/a/eeLmA
Steellord
Hardwater Fisherman
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's much more serious than that!!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Nice Job! As the pic scrolled/loaded I first saw the wooden handle and I thougt picnic basket....there's an idea.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.