The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Long Pond Edan  (Read 2725 times)

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Long Pond Edan
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Has anyone ever ice fished there.    I was told there were springs there

Offline Dead Head on ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Long Pond Edan
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:43 PM »
If it's a nice cold year up there, you don't have to worry. I used to fish alot on Lake Eden, (which also has springs) and the ice would be two foot thick. This year.....

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:34 PM »
What is in the pond? ???

Offline Dead Head on ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Brookies, some lakers.

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:56 PM »
thanks jd 540 you a logger

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:25 PM »
thanks jd 540 you a logger
Yes!

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:55 PM »
ok, i have been resisting the temptation to ask, but gotta do it.  i have never heard of long pond in eded, and used to live down the road from eden in north hyde park for years.  i ice fish eden, and all over.  so, where is this place, and are you sure  THATS the name of the place?
Pat
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:18 PM »
ok, i have been resisting the temptation to ask, but gotta do it.  i have never heard of long pond in eded, and used to live down the road from eden in north hyde park for years.  i ice fish eden, and all over.  so, where is this place, and are you sure  THATS the name of the place?
Pat
I was thinking they were talking about Eden lake myself but didnt know there were lake trout in there!

Offline VT_troutbound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:35 AM »
Are you talking about Long Pond out in Greensboro, head north on route 16 and take a left after the bend and then the dirt road that leads down to the pond, it's probably 1/2 mile walk or with truck and minimal snow maybe you can get down there.  I have camped down there and fished, there are brook trout in it I know for sure, but I didn't think ice fishing was permitted.  If so, I would like to get in there, it's a beautiful pond nestled down in valley.  Seems many of the brook trout ponds are closed...check the regulations.

Offline Dead Head on ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:33 AM »
My bad, I was thinking of the one in Greensborough.

Offline Big-Fin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:02 AM »
Long Pond aka Belvidere Pond is on route 118 in Eden, just past  where the long trail crosses 118 heading towards Montgomery.  I know this area well, we have a hunting camp near the pond.  I've never seen anyone ice fish it, though I've heard that it has  catfish and pike.

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:40 PM »
Long Pond aka Belvidere Pond is on route 118 in Eden, just past  where the long trail crosses 118 heading towards Montgomery.  I know this area well, we have a hunting camp near the pond.  I've never seen anyone ice fish it, though I've heard that it has  catfish and pike.
I know where that is! Always wondered the name of it and if there were fish in it! lol

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:03 PM »
ok, time for a bit of clarification here.  lived in the area, thats why i know these things.  Long Pond IS in Greensboro.  There are many ponds in the area by the same name.  It used to have two entrances to it, one of which you could use to drive a vehicle to, and the other by the sheep farm where you walked into it.  Yes, it did once used to be stocked with brookies, but has been illegally stocked with perch, pumkinseed, pickeral and northerns, and the last i heard the state  has stopped stocking of trout into it.  Now, as for Belvidere Pond, if you were to ask a local where Long Pond in Eden was, you would leave them scratching their heads.  It's just called Belvidere Pond.  It has small and largemouth bass in it, crappie, perch, bullpout, pickeral and pike.  The state introduced the bass maybe ten, fifteen years ago, my friend watched them do it.  I have a nice picture of two of my kids with a stringer holding a nice largemouth bass and a 14" crappie, which i didn't even know was in there, or what it was.  I had to look it up.  Too bad a trash fish made it into there.  It does have springs feeding it, but you will see locals fishing it in the winter.  It is one of THE hotspots in the spring to go both for moose watching and to catch bullpout.  There some nice sized ones in there, and the bass and northerns aren't too shabby either.  I bring the kids there a few times each summer when we visit my parents.  Oh, and unless things have changed, Long Pond is very much open to ice fishing.  Just a crappy walk unless you follow the sled trail down there( or was it a cross country ski trail?)
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline Big-Fin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:19 PM »
In the 12th. edition of VT Atlas Gazatteer; "Belvidere pond" is identified  as Long Pond.  However, I agree that the locals call it "Belvidere pond".  I'm surprised & glad to hear that
there are bass there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.