The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jigging Pike/A good set up  (Read 1026 times)

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jigging Pike/A good set up
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:11 PM »
I have been reading alot on ice fishing pike as I need some new techniques and I havent really jigged for them yet.. I am writting to see if any of you find it more productive or use it as a way to attact pike from a distance into you trap sets... Either way I am going to pick up a set up. I know the reel I want is an Abu Garcia 500 most likely with a 12-15 lb mono on it.. I know that I want a rod that has a soft tip but with plenty of back bone 28- 32 inches any suggestions? Also thinking of jigging lindy darters and chubby darters maybe some rattle shads any input would be great and let me know your success rate, that would be appreciated also..

Thanks again
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jigging Pike/A good set up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:31 PM »
I set myself up this year to jig for northerns as well.  My setup is one of my quantum bass fishing baitcast reels with 20lb mono, ST Croix 34" heavy action casting rod, and a 12-18 inch 40# Flouro leader.  I filled a tackle box with lipless rattle baits, airplane jigs, spoons, darters, and jiggin raps.  I figured if I don't catch anything, maybe I can at least call something into trap sets.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:34 PM »
ya that was my theory aswell and it keeps you busy.... let me know how you do and thanbk you for your input I am going to pick up some darters that rattle I was rerading about how a guide in MN uses deeper sounding rattles and it seems to call them in better from his experience but who knows...

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:27 PM »
ya that was my theory aswell and it keeps you busy.... let me know how you do and thanbk you for your input I am going to pick up some darters that rattle I was rerading about how a guide in MN uses deeper sounding rattles and it seems to call them in better from his experience but who knows...

Take a look at Koppers Live Target Golden Shiner and Rapala's Clackin Raps too.  The live target looks life like, and the clackin raps are loud.  They both can be used in the summer, so it makes it a lil easier to justify the money.

You might find these articles helpful.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011/11/23/jigging-strategies-for-pike/
http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011/01/01/pick-your-pocket-pike/

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:13 PM »
Thanks for posting those links.  I really want to "intentionally" catch a pike jigging this winter. 

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:47 AM »
ya thank you for posting aswell, actually that is where I got more of a drive to jig for pike was the newest in fisherman haha....   :tipup:

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:41 AM »
went out last night and picked up a 32" daiwa medium action bait casting jig stick and a daiwa baitcasting reel, loaded it with 20 # spider wire... I know alot of people say that they have issues with the braid but i figured with jigging it should be fine right???

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:01 AM »
went out last night and picked up a 32" daiwa medium action bait casting jig stick and a daiwa baitcasting reel, loaded it with 20 # spider wire... I know alot of people say that they have issues with the braid but i figured with jigging it should be fine right???

I would run a flourocarbon or steel leader.  Braid + Teeth = Disappointed Fisherman.  At least that has been my experience with 50# fireline.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:38 AM »
yea I definately plan on adding a leader, I dont want to take any chances most likely will add a steel, I also grabbed a clackin rapp in perch colors, it has a sure hook treble which I have never seen but pretty pumped to try out the set up

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:54 AM »
yea I definately plan on adding a leader, I dont want to take any chances most likely will add a steel, I also grabbed a clackin rapp in perch colors, it has a sure hook treble which I have never seen but pretty pumped to try out the set up

I would say you are good to go! 

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:57 AM »
I finally got this pic posting thing down haha so if I do anything which I PRAY that I do I will post pics and update on how effective the jigging went... Please do the same it would be nice to see some pics of pic that were jigged up intentionally hahah

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:58 AM »
I finally got this pic posting thing down haha so if I do anything which I PRAY that I do I will post pics and update on how effective the jigging went... Please do the same it would be nice to see some pics of pic that were jigged up intentionally hahah

Will do

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:14 AM »
ohh yaa one last question, anyone recommend a depth to jig at for pike.. I know some people prefer deeper water to set traps and some prefer thinner water... I figure jigging could be more affective in the 5-15 FOW column any suggestions?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.