Author Topic: Winchester and Park  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Winchester and Park
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Just got off the phone with Gary... He took a ride to check a some ice. Winchester directly off the ramp was no good, same story as what Bri reported a couple of days ago. However, if you park at the upper lot and walk down the steep bank, there was close to 4" in that protected cove. Not sure how far that good ice extends out. No official ice measurements, but he popped some holes with a spud. The western most arm of Winchester had holes drilled in it so someone was out there today. Gary said getting on was a challenge but the ice was good further out.

Park Pond was locked... He walked out a little from the ramp and said there wasn't much more than 2" . The temps were right around freezing at 3:30 so we should make at least a little ice tonight

Offline sportsman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Winchester and Park
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Well thats a start i was hoping to get out that way this weekend so i will keep my fingers crossed. would love to get it started. i will be out for sure someplace this weekend

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Blaine was all of Winch locked up or just the cove and near the launch?

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:53 PM »
It was completely locked, but I have no idea of any thicknesses other than what I reported. Anyone who knows how access the north end may be able to get on...

Trooper Bri

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Saw the pics our buddy Mike posted today on the other site. What ice formed on the main body of Winch on the south end I could see looked rough and choppy from the wind with open areas here and there. Park looks like it was making good black ice off the launch.

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Hopefully it will freeze up nice tonight. The ponds near me the more shallower ones froze over with about 1 inch- 2.5 inches but the ice just looks like crap. Not that clear black ice with no bubbles that I'm used to.  :'(

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2012, 02:28 AM »
what you should do is draw up some maps and sell them at your shop. by the way, found your pot of gold, got a 21 pounder there, all the locals cant wait till you come back ;D.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2012, 04:38 AM »
Headed out to check some local ice... We'll see if we made more lastnight. Could go either way.

Offline Matt_Atkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:20 AM »
Hey Penn920
Thats the same kind of ice i found yesterday, bubbley and, around 2" and cracking as soon as  i got 5 feet from shore.

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Anyone get on Winchester today?...Anybody else going nw tomorrow?

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2012, 03:42 PM »
I've had a few customers in for bait today that said they were going to try... No idea on conditions after today though.

Offline pikePERSUADER1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Northern Pike- all other fish are bait
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:40 PM »
I was walking on ice last night that was almost ready in central ct., but it was unwalkable today at 3 in the afternoon when i went back, the ice didnt melt it just lost its strength, Nothing even walkable with warmer temps on the way is NOT GOOD :'( :'( :'( really bummed close to 2 inches of ice made gone

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:25 PM »
I stopped at a pond about 30 mins from bristol before work, drilled a hole near shore 2.5" webt a bit  further found 3-3.5". Spoke with the guys I'm going to fish with and decided that the berks were a better plan.  Got out of work at 4 and ripped back to the same pond and was amazed by what I saw, no water on the ice, and the holes I drilled all had skim over them!  Noaa had the temp up there at 43 most of the day...didn't make a difference.  20 mins from home tomorrow, berks Sunday!

Offline Wall-HaNgEr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:52 PM »
All northwest waters are no good. Today killed what few were.

Offline Wall-HaNgEr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Did you not read my post?  What you write above is bull  I'm sorry but there are guys that are looking for real info and while I won't say where I will plainly say that your post is full of it.  I'll make a clip tomorrow and post it.

NO I DID NOT READ YOUR POST. YOU NEVER SAY ANYTHING WORTH LISTENING TO.
There are a few guys on this site that really know what it is to icefish. I'll be the first to say that you are not one of them. I've watched you post none stop for the past two years and watched you eat your words on several occasions. If I recall I had to put you in your place last year as well but I guess some people are slow learners. So I will say it one more time in all caps so you understand. ALL NORTHWEST WATERS ARE NO GOOD.  THIS MEANS THAT THE ICE WHICH WAS SAFE TO FISH TODAY IS NO LONGER SAFE! 

Offline bowshow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Can we get a third opinion so that I can choose sides for accuracy?

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:29 PM »
NO I DID NOT READ YOUR POST. YOU NEVER SAY ANYTHING WORTH LISTENING TO.
There are a few guys on this site that really know what it is to icefish. I'll be the first to say that you are not one of them. I've watched you post none stop for the past two years and watched you eat your words on several occasions. If I recall I had to put you in your place last year as well but I guess some people are slow learners. So I will say it one more time in all caps so you understand. ALL NORTHWEST WATERS ARE NO GOOD.  THIS MEANS THAT THE ICE WHICH WAS SAFE TO FISH TODAY IS NO LONGER SAFE!

Take It Easy. Some one was on 3.5" on Dog Pond today. There is still ice. You just have to be willing to seek. I am not saying your not willing to seek. Lets just settle down \m/

Offline bowshow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Weights play a huge factor in fishable ice as well.  If the only way you go is towing a semi trailer behind you then some ponds might not be for you.  Or if you are like me and slightly big boned again might not want to risk it.

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:35 PM »
3" of black is good. Unless your over 3 hundred. But my point there is a post from some one and fishin today with a pic. I dont want to start crap, but I smell a troll. But I hope not\m/

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:43 PM »
"I didn't read your post because you don't say anything worth listening to"

Then,

"I watched you post non stop and eat your words"

What I hear is "I've lurked on hear for two years made little to no contribution to the site other than taking the time to rag on you"

Looks like you just did the same, you don't read but you've watched my posts for two years.  Anyone that's met me from this site will vouche for me.  I will be the first to admit that I eat my words when I have too, I do not take posting here as seriously as you obviously.  Its a damn shame to see another grown man so disturbed over words on a computer screen.  There's hope though, they have doctors for that!   ;D

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:46 PM »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Did You mean to quote me????????

Offline Wall-HaNgEr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Being that I responded on the Winchester and park post I was mainly speaking about the ice there but I was at 5 other bodies of water today in the NW corner and by the afternoon the ice turned to crap. I am posting for the sake of the guys who don't know enough to stay off unsafe ice or don't know what ice is unsafe. Apparently I have to write a dissertation explaining why I would say something SOOO CRAZY. 3.5 inches of ice (early ice mind you) does not act like 3.5 inches of ice when its 48 degrees all day and barely below freezing the night before. There is a ton of air in new ice which heats up quickly when its 48 and sunny.  As for not reading your posts I don't.  I tend to ignor them because they are all the same with a few different words mixed in. No I am not eating my words I am sticking right behind them. Yeah a guy fished dog pond. Great. I was with two buddies fishing Winchester today too. Won't be tomorrow though. Like I said ice isn't safe after today.

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:54 PM »
You made me cry great  :'(
Have a great weekend :'(
\m/  ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:56 PM »
Posting for the guys that don't know enough?  I'm done, you have broken my will sir.

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Later \m/

Offline jonnyfly00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:32 PM »
I wouldn't bet on Dog pond being safe tomorrow. Worth checking out but its definitely a situation where I would be more cautious than I was today. I was out there all day and I noticed the characteristics of the ice changing pretty dramatically.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:47 AM »
wall hanger you only have 17 post in 2 years so you just read reports then go out and fish where the others are goin. try checking the small pond too not just the bigger ones. we all know that the big ones take longer to freeze and make good ice and that none are ready yet. but when others are finding ice and you say there is none sounds like you are just trying to keep others away. i found safe ice in enfield yesterday that may not be safe now, so i didn't post the name of it cause it is so small and not a go fishery, but it got posted anyway cause some one else i sent a pm to posted he was goin to it today . hope he is safe and stays dry . even here in somers i found ice that was almost safe. instead of listening to others just go out and look yourself and if you want to know about somewhere pm someone that has been to it and posted about it you may get better info from them

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2012, 03:50 PM »
wall hanger you only have 17 post in 2 years so you just read reports then go out and fish where the others are goin. try checking the small pond too not just the bigger ones. we all know that the big ones take longer to freeze and make good ice and that none are ready yet. but when others are finding ice and you say there is none sounds like you are just trying to keep others away. i found safe ice in enfield yesterday that may not be safe now, so i didn't post the name of it cause it is so small and not a go fishery, but it got posted anyway cause some one else i sent a pm to posted he was goin to it today . hope he is safe and stays dry . even here in somers i found ice that was almost safe. instead of listening to others just go out and look yourself and if you want to know about somewhere pm someone that has been to it and posted about it you may get better info from them

::)

Offline deerhunterkyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:40 PM »
Ok, being that I am new to icefishing, what constitutes safe? I really wanna go, my friends who do are telling me not to trust any ice right now. I was @ mansfieldhollow today and the boatlaunch was pretty frozen except around the tunnel. I didn't risk it just fished the pipes and caught nothing same as what I caught at crystal lake and coventry.

So anyway back to safe ice, how thick does it have to be? I don't feel like becoming a statistic my first year on ice.

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:05 PM »
Hey lowaccord, where is that clip?, I didn't think so, time to eat your words once again? Any way, took a ride to winchester this morning, two tipups with a big hole in the ice along with a crap load of garbage, left behind. I will get those tip ups and hopefully there is a name and number on them. Guess they should of listened to wallhanger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.