Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Looking at the 15 day forecast  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Master79

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking at the 15 day forecast
« on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:12 AM »
What's everyone think about the 15 day forecast. Looking somewhat promising for us iceless guys here in central Iowa   Overnight temps look good just don't know about these day time highs.  Tell me what u think

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking at the 15 day forecast
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:17 PM »
It does look more favorable for some ice fishing and some weather models are saying that colder weather is coming but even the experts will tell you anything after 5 days gets hard to predict.

Still crossing my fingers and hope that the models are right and cold weather is in our future.

Offline Pantsmonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:21 PM »
Not looking to great here in the sioux city area till the last couple of days of the forecast. gonna be in the high fourties/low fifties until january 11th, and we're even supposed to break 60 on thursday according to the news  :-\ But yesterday's cold temps gave snyder bend a good 2 inches of ice. to bad it'll be gone after the next couple of days.
Gotta eat big to be big!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:52 PM »
This winter is pretty much done already its gonna be 20+ above normal and dry this winter.  I have a feeling we could be in for a wild ride the next few years with weather.  Dustbowl 2012? 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Yeah looks great.. highs in the 40's and upper 30's.. lows in the lower 30's to upper 20's.

I still say we won't have fishable ice over here this year.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:27 PM »
Yeah its not looking good.  Last night and today was cold , but with the highs in the 40's and 50's Will take care of the ice that was made today.  I check a small farm pond north of Ankeny just to seem what it did over night.  It had 2 inches of crystal clear ice, but I think the temps tomorrow should melt that party away.  I got too much money wrapped up in my equipment to let it sit....gggrrrr.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I no it doesnt look good here in iowa going north for weekend starting at clear lake and on north .Hows ice there have you heard?
Never to many short poles

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:48 PM »
Check the Clear Lake thread its been blowing up with info.  I havent been there for a week so I'm not going to give an ice report.  But Im sure someone will.

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Thats the problem with accuviews 15 day forcast, it always looks good for days 11-15 until you get there then it ends up looking like ^%$@# again.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Thats the problem with accuviews 15 day forcast, it always looks good for days 11-15 until you get there then it ends up looking like ^%$@# again.

X 2.

two times it was looking good just to be disappointed.  If it happens, it happens...

Offline 1fan4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:46 PM »
If I have to listen to one more weather person say "its going to be a beautiful day"  I will puke  :(
"Poor people have poor ways"

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:05 PM »
I hear ya there.. Hate them fair weather comments..

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Not even a 2hr delay for the schools yet , wth?
http://

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:17 AM »
One of the Waterloo news anchors the other day did comment on how nice the winter has been except for snowmobilers and "ice fishers"

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:28 AM »
If Accu Weather's fifteen-day forecast had been right on December 18, we would have been ice fishing in Iowa City on New Year's.

This freakish weather will not last--February is coming. We'll have some ice for fishing sooner or later.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:25 AM »
I have a feeling this freakish weather pattern will persist thru next winter even. 

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:08 AM »
there will be no next winter END OF WORLD coming 12/21/12 end of mayan calender

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:20 AM »
Hopefully i'll be out fishing when the crape hits the fan.  ;D

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:51 AM »
We had four good winters in a row, so we were about due for a bad one. According to the climatologists the "Arctic Oscillation" is to blame for this year's weird weather.

This will be a short ice season in Iowa, obviously, but we still have the second half of January and all of February for some cold weather to settle in.

Offline LunkerPlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:07 AM »
15 day forecast is looking great for the sioux city area. Showing 7 days in a row that don't even break 22 as a high  ;D Just have to get through this next week. tomorrow it's supposed to be 60 degrees >.>

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:19 PM »
Here a link to AccuWeather discussing Winter finally making an appearance...wishful thinking on my part...for now.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/pattern-change-winter-coming-snow-cold/59847

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:51 PM »
That certainly looks more promising. I hope they are right!  I was planning on having a fish fry at the local pub sometime in Feb. I need to get started accumulating some fish, and soon. :)
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline floyd1616

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:57 PM »
we will get on just a little longer

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:02 PM »
I have had enough of this warm weather. It has driven me insane. Ever go out in the early morning, to find a bucket full of ice? AND THEN DRILL A PRACTICE HOLE IN IT?! oooooh boy......  :P :P

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:39 PM »
I rode the Harley last week, going golfing this Friday and all I want to do is ice fish and I cant.  There should be no way that I could go ride the harley and golf in Jan.  Im not a happy camper.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:17 PM »
I'm trying to keep hope alive...check this out...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/storm-next-week-may-set-up-new/59905

If this weather does change the wife is going to be making a 'missing persons report'  ;D

Offline LunkerPlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:43 PM »
68 degrees today haha. still to much ice to do open water fishing, but i may not need to worry about it completely opening up after looking at the forecast  ;)

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:28 PM »
thanks bigwalley hope to have ice up there this weekend and I get to try my new power auger !!!!!!! If ice not safe there dont no which direction to head north is melting and so is northwest any suggestions??????
Never to many short poles

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:09 AM »
A couple points about this weird warm winter we're having:

This is an ice-fishing site, so we're all obviously going to complain about how bad it is for ice-fishing. I've sure done my share of complaining this winter.  ;D

But as people have pointed out, most of us are saving money and time on heating costs, snow removal, and the like.

There is another thing to keep in mind about this weather. As bad as this winter is for ice-fishing, it is good for wildlife. Deer, turkey, and whatever pheasants and quail are still out there in Iowa are doing very well so far this winter.

But, there is a possible bad side to this weather beyond ice-fishing. I cannot find any numbers on precip. totals for the last few months, but I think we are well below normal on rain and snowfall. If that pattern persists, we may be looking at a very dry spring, and that is not a good thing.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:23 AM »
Yep think weve had a inch and half of rain since July up here.  Theyre talking about problems with soil moisture come planting time.  Not enough subsoil moisture='s poor seed germination rate.  Rivers are the lowest I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. With the amount of land tilled up and lack of soil conservation we could possibly see another "dustbowl" type weather pattern. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.