Author Topic: arctic armor suit  (Read 5735 times)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
arctic armor suit
« on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:40 PM »

Does anyone have Artic Armor, if so how do you like it?

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Re: Artic Armor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:44 PM »
love it! I have the green/black suit and the all black suit
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:47 PM »
if you going to spend the money on a ice fishing suit buys the arctic armor. it floats to a point and could save your life sir. dont spend your money on the "ICE ARMOR" get the Arctic Armor. JMO and i have it myself ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:53 PM »
if you going to spend the money on a ice fishing suit buys the arctic armor. it floats to a point and could save your life sir. dont spend your money on the "ICE ARMOR" get the Arctic Armor. JMO and i have it myself ;)
I've had my  Artic Armor for 3 or 4 years.  I like it a lot.  No problems with it so far.  I bought 3 more suits for my boys (grown)
for Christmas a couple of years back so I wouldn't have to worry about them sinking like a stone, should they ever fall through.
I think the feeling of knowing you will float will ease a lot of worries.  That being said, I still don't take a lot of chances.
Mike

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:19 PM »
I have been wearing Artic Armor for 3 seasons and it is the best. If, God forbid, you ever go through it will keep you afloat. It stops the wind, keeps me warm, ice doesn't build up much on the cuffs in sloppy conditions, and cleans up easily. My regular fishing partner wears a Mustang float suit but it is so warn that he can not put it on till we get to were we are going. I wear my Artic Armor and I can stay cool enough on a long hard drag and warm enough (without a shelter) to fish all day. My suit is green and black. If I had it to do over I would buy a Red and Black or a Green Bay just for the visability factor. I purchased though IS sponsor Fish307 and they were great about fitting both the tops and bottoms for my build. Go for it Ice Wanderer you will not regret the purchase.  @)
TRAKNDWG; women love him, fish fear him.

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:27 PM »
I have both the Artic Armor and Ice Armor suites.  Personally I can't wear the Artic Armor in anything but the coldest conditions.   Having said that, I took a dip (intentional) in my AA suit a year ago and it works as advertised.   Very comfortable and extremely light weight.   My dad wears the AA a lot and loves it.
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Not trying to throw a wrench in anything but if your researching suits, check out Striker Suits.
Quite a bit of info on them on this site and many others.
I got a pair of the lite bibs and am completely impressed(not easy).
What sold me was the full length leg zippers, adjustable leg lengths, and the fact that the Lite version also floats. Plus they have lots of well thought out pockets and stuff.
I have tried on most of the suits out there and they either fit me terrible in the legs or were way too bulky.
I went with the Lits as Id rather layer than have one big layer of bulk. I have had them out in the bost and they are verry warm. Im used to two or three layers under non insulated bibs. I'll have to adjust for less under these.
Just another option out there and options are a good thing.

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:31 PM »
 I own the green/blk arctic armor plus suit and it is worth every penny. I fish alone so the piece of mind that it floats is very comforting as well as its warmth. good luck ;D

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Jeff, if you are looking at the suit with the intention of flotation as your first priority then the AA is a great product. I have had both the AA and the Mustang suit but sold both due to having dumped a bunch of weight.  If warmth is your priority, the Ice Suit by Frabill is a super product. Insanely warm and water/wind proof and made of good quality materials that will stand up to heavy use.  You can shed the parka for your walk in and still stay very warm wearing just the bibs.  I still have my first Ice Armor suit which is just OK but I kept it for late season when it's warmer and for early spring on the boat, etc.  For flotation I wear a Type 1 PFD meant for open ocean use for extended periods. I've tested it during the summer and it WILL float you while wearing a fully soaked ice suit and water filled pack boots and it is designed to keep you upright with your head above water! I use this mostly early and late season when things are questionable.

Mike

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:40 PM »
I love my AA suit. It serves as my shelter as well so it's rarely too warm for me. Striker Ice suits are the new, new thing though. I'd at least give them a look-see. And I do have the Packers green and yellow but not because they're more visible. It's because I'm a cheap bastage and they were $115 less. I looked recently and I think all they have left in those close out colors are XXL sizes at an additional $20.

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:42 AM »
i have a Vexilar suit  its water& wind  proof, warm a little heavy but good i think. coat $129 for XL bids $119 XL :) :tipup:

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:16 AM »
I have an AA suit and love it. No complaints at all.

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:20 AM »
I have the AA suit, love it and wouldn't recoment anything else. It is warm and as everyone knows it does keep you floating.

Offline mush69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:40 AM »
First and foremost for me is that my clothes should not have to float, unless I'm going on the ocean.  In that case I would alway perfer a PFD much like the one mentioned in an earlier post.  My fishing partner went and bought ice armor stuff and it is quality stuff.  I on the other hand always looking cheaper bought the guide gear stuff from Sportsman Guide.  Hands down I think I got the better deal, paid 50% less and have all the bells and whistles that the name brand stuff offers.  The parka has so many pockets that now I'm known as "The man with to many pockets." It is warm and last year I really put it to the test, all the zippers and snaps are quality built, comfy but not bulky.

I like it, and I don't worry if it is gonna float because if ya ever see me on thin ice, chances are I'm already dead.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:52 AM »
I have the green/black AA suit and its worth every penny.

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:02 AM »
First and foremost for me is that my clothes should not have to float, unless I'm going on the ocean.  In that case I would alway perfer a PFD much like the one mentioned in an earlier post.  My fishing partner went and bought ice armor stuff and it is quality stuff.  I on the other hand always looking cheaper bought the guide gear stuff from Sportsman Guide.  Hands down I think I got the better deal, paid 50% less and have all the bells and whistles that the name brand stuff offers.  The parka has so many pockets that now I'm known as "The man with to many pockets." It is warm and last year I really put it to the test, all the zippers and snaps are quality built, comfy but not bulky.

I like it, and I don't worry if it is gonna float because if ya ever see me on thin ice, chances are I'm already dead.

2 of the 3 times i went in was on 6+" of ice once was a huge square cut out from 12" of ice and un marked over about 10' of water and second time was on about 8" after a big snow melt raised the lake a bit and made a 12" wide crack down the lake that froze the night before if you think people only fall through thin ice you are................

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:31 AM »
I'm on my second Arctic Armor and would wear nothing else,With two layers of fleece underneath I have never been cold,They do come in several colors including camo but I like the red,If I go in I would like to be seen.I purchased mine at 307 and they do mix sizes to accommodate everyone.I tried the Mustang suit but the flotation panals were bulky and unless it was extremely cold I was over dressed.
I did take an intentional plunge with it this summer  and it held me with no effort,I'm 220 lbs. A word to the wise ,you must keep the jacket zippered if you don't and do go in the jacket comes up around your head,An interesting feeling even under controlled situation . Although The AA will keep you up it is not Cost Guard approved so you must wear a PFD. in the boat from Nov. to May.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:45 AM »
 The black and green is very warm! Had mine for 2 seasons. make sure you order one size larger, they run small. well worth the money. I highly reccomend it.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Used my Strikers in the boat again today...
I know eveyone loves thier AA but... ofcourse they do, they shelled out big bucks and they are nice!
Side by side in the store i'd buy the Strikers just based on the full length leg zippers alone! How nice is it to put your bibs on or off without takin off your boots?

I am not in any way affiliated with Striker. I just glad there is another player out there in the floater game. Now we can see some new features and advancemants...

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Just got my AA suit for XMAS can't wait to try it if we ever get some ice.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:16 PM »
Going on season 5 with my red/black orginal Artic Armor. Its warm, lightweight and some of the best money I have ever spent on outdoor stuff. No problems with it and have never been cold in it (im a bucket sitter). Make sure you either take off or unzip the coat while walking in/out to your spot (If you walk) and while drilling holes (if u use a hand auger). Also it will take a couple of times out to get your layers figured out. never had to test out the floatation and knock on wood never will have to but nice to have the added bonus.

I wear sweat pants or jeans (usually no need for thermals under) and a wicking thermal top and light weight fleece on top under the coat.

Sizing is also screwy, makesure you try them on (even if you order online) with ur layers on. Sizing is the key to being comfortable. If you get too small of a coat that it is tight across the back of ur sholders/back, u will have a cold spot becuase the insualation is compressed.

Hope this helps

J-

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:12 AM »
Are the AA USCG approved as a flotation device??  Looking for dual purpose outerware to also cover my cold water bot fishing.

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:23 AM »
Are the AA USCG approved as a flotation device??  Looking for dual purpose outerware to also cover my cold water bot fishing.
No.
TRAKNDWG; women love him, fish fear him.

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:32 AM »
Thanks!!!....searched site & couldn't confirm whether or not AA was USCG approved.

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:56 AM »
Artic Armor is a great suit I have had mine 6 years love it.I have the Mustang suit but find it very heavy but it is Coast Guard approved.The AA suit cleans easy and is water proof I also bought the Grey suit from Frabill I like them all.I don't like the Blue Clam suit it was very cold and the bibs only came up half way on your Back ...brrr..
If I had to rate them
1.AA Floation warm and water proof
2.Grey Frabill lite but water proof and plenty of pockets 
3. Mustang...only cause its heavy, and if you are walking any distance you will work up a sweat and to buy expensive ...But CC approved Good luck   

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:49 AM »
Thanks Chickenfoot for the info/comparison. Anyone know why AA is NOT USCG approved??  One would think it would at least qualify as a Type III(Inherently Buoyant Type III PFDs) for general purpose uses.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:44 PM »

Well I took the plunge, sort of, I bought the Artic Armor suit. I read all the post here & on another thread, I did see that some people had some problems but aren't there some w/everything. The one thing that I didn't mentioned is I got $300 worth of gift cards to Fish 307 & he carries only AA so w/out traveling I was kind of destined to get AA. I will know tomarrow how warm it is, supposed to be 0* in the am as for the floation factor I'll pass on that till warm weather.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:46 PM »
          Well I took the plunge, sort of, I bought the Artic Armor suit. I read all the post here & on another thread, I did see that some people had some problems but aren't there some w/everything. The one thing that I didn't mentioned is I got $300 worth of gift cards to Fish 307 & he carries only AA so w/out traveling I was kind of destined to get AA. I will know tomarrow how warm it is, supposed to be 0* in the am as for the floation factor I'll pass on that till warm weather.
Good luck out there. My girlfriend got me the AA suit for Christmas. Also from 307.
It held up really well in the rain Sunday. Got rained on pretty good fishing and stayed dry as a bone.
I'll be out putting my suit to the test tomorrow too. After wearing it twice I don't think mother nature can dish out anything I can't deal with.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Thanks Chickenfoot for the info/comparison. Anyone know why AA is NOT USCG approved??  One would think it would at least qualify as a Type III(Inherently Buoyant Type III PFDs) for general purpose uses.
It isn't CG approved because IDI has not paid the CG to test it and approve it. Maybe they will sometime in the future, but the way people jump ship when another product appears on the market I wouldn't blame them if they don't.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:28 AM »
So, how did you hold up fishing yesterday? I was stunned at how comfy I was. Fished dark til dark with well below 0 windchill all day. I left the 1st spot at noon to hit another closer to home on the way back through. As I was walking out I stepped in a snow covered 10" hole. I went in up to my hip and never missed a beat. Kept walking to my spot dry as a bone and finished my day killing the perch. My day would have been cut short for sure with the gear I was wearing last week. Big thumbs up on this suit!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.