The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Toston Dam  (Read 3824 times)

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
Toston Dam
« on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:07 PM »
Anyone been fishing it yet this year? I just got back from scouting it and have heard all the stories of big pike and browns in it.

Molon Labe

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Toston Dam
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:45 AM »
Was there ice on it?  Lot's of stories are out there, but I haven't talked to anyone with firsthand knowledge who has done well there.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Can you catch ling by throwing a baited line in the pool below the dam? I do not like the idea of fishing for them on that ice!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Below the dam I've caught 2 tiny ling in one day, and never again.  >:(

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:35 PM »
tomorrow im goin to punch some holes, set tipups. I dont trust the ice so im takin some lumber and a buddy. More to follow....unless I go under.

Molon Labe

IceCreeper

« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Remember,if your anywhere above the damn they consider it RIVER because there is a current,2 rods through the ice only.We had a rather understanding warden explain that to use,she makes a regular appearance up there.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Two years ago they were catching alot of northerns above the dam but they were almost non existant last year. heard of 1 coming through the ice last year and that was it.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:06 PM »
With all this talk of break-throughs around the state, please, be careful. :tipup:

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:38 PM »
10" of clear ice at the camp ground. Fished from 1 til 5pm. no bites, no bumps. Ran into two fellas comin off the ice with a 20lb+- Pike, said they had three flags all day, two broke off. We used smelt under tip ups in 8-20 FOW.  Any ideas on how to increase the odds?

Molon Labe

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:11 PM »
You are fishing too deep. We usually. Fish in four fow  or less. There were a more then a few pulled out last night year. Oh and we stand far away from our tip ups. They can tell you are there if your hovering right above them.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:52 PM »
You are fishing too deep. We usually. Fish in four fow  or less. There were a more then a few pulled out last night year. Oh and we stand far away from our tip ups. They can tell you are there if your hovering right above them.
if they're there, a foot of water under the ice is all you need

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:32 AM »

Thanks for the info, will apply the technique next time i go. We stayed on the shore for the most part since the ice was so clear. We also rigged the biggest Buckshot spoons we had over top the smelt. It was our first trip there so we were just kind of winging it. After seeing that hawg pulled out, im sure i will give it a bit more attention. On a quest for a big pike since this is my largest/only pike to date.  Apparently MTFWP trapped a 50lber out of there last summer, thats encouraging.

Molon Labe

IceCreeper

« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:42 AM »
The F&G goes in there in the spring and shocks them,same crap they do up at Pishkun.

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:29 AM »
much success, I hope you catch every pike up there.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:30 AM »
I'm giving it a try today with some suckers (dead) that I caught yesterday. I'll walk up the shoreline from the dam a ways and hopefully find some ice I'm comfortable with and stay until after dark and watch Jupiter and maybe pick up some ling.

rg

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Nice pic, looks awesome. must be nice to be able to get out on some ice!

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:59 PM »
Fished from 1700-2100, 4 and 7 FOW, Smelt under tip ups, NADA!!! Did meet a couple of fellow ice'rs, nice guys, no luck for them either. Got the scoop on the latest pike out of there, 38" 14lbs. I will continue my quest for Dam Pike.

Molon Labe

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Good to meet diertae and another guy... fished from noon to 8pm, but only got one bite all day on a jigging spoon. I caught a brief glimpse and it appeared to be a ~14" trout but hard to say. I figured there would be ling near the cliffs but they weren't biting if they were there.

The was more current than I expected and it was messing up the way my 6" sucker was sitting the water. Diertae thought they need a little lead in the head, I assume this allows the hook to be set farther forward so it will act like a weather vane while still keeping the head down. Anyone know?

I'd think a smallish sucker would work better than a smelt, but maybe I'm wrong there.

rg

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Had the boat with in a mile of where you guys have been fishing today. I little farther as the river flows but not much. Made it way closer to the dam than I thought we would.  Nice day for a little boating.

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:07 PM »
Fished it saturday morning, nothing. put in about 5 hours until the rest of the crew got antsy and wanted to leave. Same story at CF for the rest of the day. Starting to get a bit discouraged with Toston, any more tips? :'(

Molon Labe

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:36 PM »
Two years ago they were catching alot of northerns above the dam but they were almost non existant last year. heard of 1 coming through the ice last year and that was it.
laws of average they're not all gone, maybe i'll see ya there one of these days

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:20 AM »
steelerod, I doubt Ill be givin up on it. If you see a black 'yota flatbed out there, ill be the big smelly redneck yelling for my dog on the other side of the river.

Molon Labe

iceandwiskey

« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2012, 04:06 PM »

Largest of 4 on Tuesday morning.

Offline trykon_man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2012, 04:21 PM »
How far up river from the dam do you usually go?  Also, what other fish do you catch above the dam?  Just trout?

iceandwiskey

« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Tuesday was the first time I have ever ice fished there, so I'm probably not much help.  I was thinking with the front moving in it would be a good time to give it a try.  I went by myself, fished til about 11am and ended up with 4 pike, 2 browns, and 2 smaller ling.   

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Tuesday was the first time I have ever ice fished there, so I'm probably not much help.  I was thinking with the front moving in it would be a good time to give it a try.  I went by myself, fished til about 11am and ended up with 4 pike, 2 browns, and 2 smaller ling.
We have rules here that explicitly state that first-timers must provide details on what the heck you did to embarrass all us folks who've been skunked. How deep? What sort of bait, etc...

iceandwiskey

« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:04 PM »
We have rules here that explicitly state that first-timers must provide details on what the heck you did to embarrass all us folks who've been skunked. How deep? What sort of bait, etc...
"provide details on what the heck you did to embarrass all us folks who've been skunked" caught fish...  @)
How deep?  I had great luck with the baits that were under the ice...  ;D
What sort of bait,  vertical jigging baits?  ???
etc...  timing, Location, location, location  :tipup:

iceandwiskey

« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:16 PM »
I got there early and picked a good spot.  I started set up for ling before prime pike time.  Stinky stink bait, just off the bottom 10 fow. take in mind the current, caught 2.  after 8;30 Set one 1  :tipup: for pike, 7 fow.  (smelt) remember pike like to feed up in the water coulum, caught 4 on the same line.  Jigged a flashy rig for trout in 15 fow.  2 browns.  that about sums it up.
Good luck...

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Thanks!

Offline MT Fysherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:16 PM »
Rob, Wanna try it again? Might be able to go Saturday afternoon/evening. Other than that, my weekend is goofed with kids' stuff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.