Author Topic: Stupid Question  (Read 516 times)

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Stupid Question
« on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Has there ever been a year when we didn't get any fishable ice (3"- 4") on the large lakes (Bangs, Pistakee, Long)?  With the crummy January long range forecast, I'm wondering if the there will be a long enough cold spell in February to make safe ice. It seems that every time we get skim ice, a 40+ degree heat wave comes through and melts it all.  This would have to be the year that I sold my 10 yr. old Fish Trap Pro and bought the new 2012 Jason Mitchell Thermal Trap.  I'm tire of sitting in it in the garage >:(

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Stupid Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2011, 02:27 PM »
How do you like you new Jason Mitchell Thermal Trap? I'm thinking about getting one this season if we ever get ice.   :tipup: :icefish: :tipup:

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2011, 05:03 PM »
All I can say is... it works good in the garage  :-\  I'm not sure how it will be on the ice.  My old Clam has a single molded seat that slide on a track that ran along the entire side of the tub.  The whole tub was open for hauling gear.  This new shanty has the single seat that slide on a frame.  Problem is, the back legs of the frame sit right in the middle of the tub making it difficult to haul multiple 5 gallon pails.  I also used to set the vex next to the seat on the track which was a good location for viewing and also kept it out of the snow and melted ice water.  Now I'll have to put the vex on the ice - somewhere, with the lantern, heater, minnow bucket and automatic fisherman.  I used to be able to easily fish 3 holes inside the Clam.  I'm sure I'll find a way to get set up to fish out of this new shanty....ALL WE NEED IS ICE.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:13 PM »
I have a 15 acre lake by me that has  had years the ice never got to 3" We are in Illinois the southern part of the ice fishing world. Some years it just isn't going to happen. That's why I always plan a trip north.

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:44 AM »
I'm not sure if there has ever been 'no' fish-able ice on the Chain or nearby. I do remember some years ago that Pistakee had a very large open area out from the flagpoles and it stayed open for quite a long time. The weird thing was that there was 6"-8" of ice all around the open water.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.