Author Topic: tunnel protectors ???  (Read 1388 times)

Offline hunter5156

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
tunnel protectors ???
« on: Dec 28, 2011, 05:10 AM »
OK I just picked up a 2001 Polaris 500 classic touring machine. I am going to stud the track and I am not sure if I need to put on tunnel protectors. It looks like the heat exchange units are under the foot boards and I am not sure if there is 1 in the front of the track. I have read that on the Polaris sleds you do not need them with studs and I have read that you do. Any information would be a huge help. Thanks..

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
Re: tunnel protectors ???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Just dropped my 2011 550 IQ off at the dealer to get studded. They will not stud without a tunnel protector, told me the studs could wear through the tunnel into the gas tank. Not sure if it's BS or not, but it does make sense. I thought I didn't need a protector because it's fan cooled.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2011, 05:54 PM »
My 1989 had one up under the tunnel along with the two under the running boards.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:29 PM »
The best bet would be to call your local dealership and they'll tell you whether they're needed or not. It's a safe bet to use the protectors though, at speed the track will balloon out and as the suspension compresses when you go over bumps, it can let the track and studs come into contact with the inside of the tunnel. You can imagine those sharp carbide or steel tips will go through the thin tunnel in a real hurry. This happens more often than you think even now, but the rubber track lugs don't make much noise when they hit. The metal studs will.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2012, 05:28 PM »
tunnel protectors are your friends. studded or not, keeps the track off the rear heat exchanger if something like too loose a track were to happen.     spend the $20.00 and get them installed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.