Author Topic: Truck bed extension  (Read 7813 times)

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Truck bed extension
« on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Here's the truck bed extension I made to get the ATV and sled to the lake without a trailer.

weight check:

Loaded up and you can see the auger carrier that I made for the front rack:

At the lake:

-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Truck bed extension
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2011, 06:55 PM »
How much overhang is that past the rear lights on the truck?  I know each state/ province is a little different with their rules,  but beyond a certain distance, you either have to add lights or run a red flag for overhang, people may not see your lights. 

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:05 PM »
It's 6' past the tailgate, but there's taillights on it.  ;)
-Richard

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:12 PM »
That is a nice looking build. How did you attach it to the tailgate? I see the angle brackets that go up to the tailgate jamb, but I can't see how it is attached to the top of the tailgate. I was trying to come up with a way to carry my quad and my clam in the pick up and I figured I would try one of the hitch carriers.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:23 PM »
great set-up :)

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:27 PM »
That is a nice looking build. How did you attach it to the tailgate? I see the angle brackets that go up to the tailgate jamb, but I can't see how it is attached to the top of the tailgate. I was trying to come up with a way to carry my quad and my clam in the pick up and I figured I would try one of the hitch carriers.

It's not attached to the tailgate, it's in the receiver hitch, tied to the gooseneck via a 2" strap running from the back of the extension up to the gooseneck and the 2 straps running up to the tailgate latch posts...

may be overkill, I'm not sure. But I can drive the atv up over the extension with no problem.
-Richard

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Nice job, be careful turning corners.. ;D

I too dislike dragging a trailer if I don't have to. I made this to haul the ATV and sled fits undreneath. Building a new one for my ranger to go on with the tracks now.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Bogman- Looks a little Evil Knievel like in the picture of you loading it up. What's next the Snake River Canyon?

I like the set up. Is that homemade or something that is manufactured? If so by who?

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Bogman- Looks a little Evil Knievel like in the picture of you loading it up. What's next the Snake River Canyon?

I like the set up. Is that homemade or something that is manufactured? If so by who?

Only scarey the first time.  ::)  Homemade.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Finished the Truck deck this weekend. 10' ramps and it's easy up and down. Dry storage underneath.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Be careful when pulling into places with overhangs.  Don't want to take out your Polaris's windshield.
BTW.  What is the height on that rig?  How does the truck handle with that on board?

MD

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2012, 03:11 PM »

No kidding.  I don't think I'd have too much fun loading up for the morning that's for certain. 
Chris Raymond

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Be careful when pulling into places with overhangs.  Don't want to take out your Polaris's windshield.
BTW.  What is the height on that rig?  How does the truck handle with that on board?

MD

Just a shade over 11' on the track's. I won't be using any drive thru's. ;D I ran the beaches of the cape with a slide in camper for many years and it's no where near as Top heavy as that.

You won't miss me on the turnpike now will you?

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2012, 03:15 PM »
MD   Maiden voyage north thursday, will be interested to see the migage difference between this and the trailer.

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:48 PM »
Why? 11 mpg if you take a trailer, 5 mpg if you load it on your truck.. trailer is also way easier to load and faster . you also wont have to slow down as much on corners. esc.. :o ???

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:48 PM »
MD   Maiden voyage north thursday, will be interested to see the migage difference between this and the trailer.

I'll keep my eyes open for you along I-95.  Might head up north on Thursday myself (probably Friday though).
I'll be heading south on Monday afternoon/evening.

MD

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:08 PM »
I'll keep my eyes open for you along I-95.  Might head up north on Thursday myself (probably Friday though).
I'll be heading south on Monday afternoon/evening.

MD

Coming home Monday also.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Why? 11 mpg if you take a trailer, 5 mpg if you load it on your truck.. trailer is also way easier to load and faster . you also wont have to slow down as much on corners. esc.. :o ???

Really? 5 mpg? Wife won't like that,how fast can you go around a corner with a trailer? Where do you think the time difference in loading will come in? Will that include backing up,lowering the jack,checking tires and lug nut's. Checking the light's that the salt loves to screw with. Don't forget all the road salt and crap that end's up on your trailered toy either. Truck's already registered and insured.
I was assuming that being able to park in a parking space, turn around in poorly plowed access point's and not worry about wheel bearing's and trailer tires to be a good reason to go this route.
I may take it on one trip and scrap the whole darn thing, wouldn't be the first project to go that route. Not reinventing the wheel here, these are manufactured and sold. I just saved around $3000 building my own.

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Cool idea, was trying to think of something like that myself.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:09 AM »
Wow, that will turn heads! Looks like a good way to get everything there without dragging any extra.  @)
-Richard

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:27 PM »

Trailers are pure misery. I've been pulling one for 20 years and I've had every nightmare known to man with them- lights EVERY freaking year, wiring kit on the truck, flat tires with spinning wheel studs, icy roads and suddenly the trailer is right next to you, blown bearings, broken axles... I for one can understand going to GREAT lengths to avoid using a trailer.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Trailers are pure misery. I've been pulling one for 20 years and I've had every nightmare known to man with them- lights EVERY freaking year, wiring kit on the truck, flat tires with spinning wheel studs, icy roads and suddenly the trailer is right next to you, blown bearings, broken axles... I for one can understand going to GREAT lengths to avoid using a trailer.

Thank's Doc, did a hi-way test drive today. Seemed fine, no real body roll. Didn't notice much difference in fuel economy betweed that and the  trailer. I bet I'll feel a headwind though.  ;D ;D

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:59 PM »
I want to see a picture of how you get it on/off the truck.

MD

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:18 AM »
I want to see a picture of how you get it on/off the truck.

MD

Oh Bill............... ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.