The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton  (Read 1060 times)

Offline 10inch

• IceShanty Rookie
Houghton
« on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Anyone know about ice at houghton Lake?

Wheres there ice up north ?????
FISH FISH FISH
Make Way Weekend Warriors

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Houghton
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:02 PM »
I'm in your boat. I'm headed up for vacation on Thursday I will be in Mancelona. I heard there was 3 inches on the north side of Houghton but I'm not sure.

Offline 10inch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Well this thread worked well... :(
FISH FISH FISH

Offline beau2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:46 PM »
I called a resort there yesterday and asked if there was safe ice.  Answer NO not yet.  The outfit I called rents cottages and ice shacks. 

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:57 PM »
I'll be there the next 2 weekends send me a pm I'll be on the ice Friday. I was on it last weekend and it was thin should be 4  to 5 inches this weekend out 200 to 300 yards.

Offline PikeKing2323

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Can you send me a PM too.  I may be making a trip up to Cheboygan to find think ice but would much rather fish Houghton if it has ice as well.

Offline 10inch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Alright thanks guys.
FISH FISH FISH

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:09 PM »
Well I'll be up there Thursday night and I'll check the ice Friday morning. :tipup:

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Trying to get a trip around with a couple of my brothers and a buddy or two up that way. I wouldn't mind knowing the conditions. If someone could shoot me a pm to that'd be awesome. Thanks.

Offline topfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:58 PM »
my father lives in Houghton Lake and breathes and lives fishing 24/7.  The ice up there is NOT safe, or he would be out there.  I know this because he was one of the many idiots that were hauled off the ice as it left shore in Saginaw Bay and had to be rescued by the coast guard.  He is also the same person who a couple of years ago didn't learn his lesson and put his 4 wheeler in the bottom of Saginaw Bay off of Linwood area.  Trust me I want to go fishing as much as the next guy, but if my father doesn't trust the ice... It is not going to be a trip worth making.  I don't know where this gentleman came up with 5-7 inches of ice unless he was off of the shore and drilled a hole there.  With the warm temps, the lake may be iced over, but nowhere safe enough for anyone to venture out.  Hopefully some people will heed good advice when given and wait until a bigger and longer freeze hits, but if not I guess I can say I warned ya!!
If your "Tip" is up, make sure your lady is on the other end!

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:59 PM »
my father lives in Houghton Lake and breathes and lives fishing 24/7.  The ice up there is NOT safe, or he would be out there.  I know this because he was one of the many idiots that were hauled off the ice as it left shore in Saginaw Bay and had to be rescued by the coast guard.  He is also the same person who a couple of years ago didn't learn his lesson and put his 4 wheeler in the bottom of Saginaw Bay off of Linwood area.  Trust me I want to go fishing as much as the next guy, but if my father doesn't trust the ice... It is not going to be a trip worth making.  I don't know where this gentleman came up with 5-7 inches of ice unless he was off of the shore and drilled a hole there.  With the warm temps, the lake may be iced over, but nowhere safe enough for anyone to venture out.  Hopefully some people will heed good advice when given and wait until a bigger and longer freeze hits, but if not I guess I can say I warned ya!!
Crap I have a place 2.5 miles off the lake and I'll be drill hole and spuding out, I just can't sit home and I have a  few thing I need to do up there. And it looked like it would be Ok this weekend.

Offline 10inch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:52 PM »
Dang. thanks for the report. I was really hoping that it would be good to go! at least some part somewhere! :(
FISH FISH FISH

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.