Author Topic: ***WARNING*** LAST MNTN DEC 2011  (Read 6814 times)

Offline walleye protector

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ***WARNING*** LAST MNTN DEC 2011
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:14 PM »
Yey good comeback steadyrippin.we were all getting caught up in our own oppinions that we lost sight of what we are all into and that is the fishing.ASfor rumblefish Ihope this will be your last missfortune for a while,as over the years Imyself have been somewere I WOULD RATHER BE...Be safe,catch fish,and go home every night.......

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Thanks Rumblefish that's exactly what I wanted to know and I think you did exactly the right thing.  When I lived at Pelican we crossed a real variety of imperfections in the ice and it could take a lot of figuring out sometimes and I think almost everyone who lived there year round in the early 90s fell in at one time or another.  With the ice quality like it is I can't see how you had any other option.
Layne, that isn't him but his cousin lives up at the north end of SB there and fishes all the time.  I'll ask if he has an outfit like that.
Walleyeprotector if you want to dispute how thick Norbert said the ice was you're going to have to call him yourself,  You know as well as anybody it's inconsistant.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:29 AM »
With the holidays coming up people are going to want to get out and do some fishing,but with all this above 0 temps the ice conditions are getting worse in certain areas.one area is the wee too, alice beach.Please if taking young kids out,make sure of the conditions before going and keep them close....MERRYXMAS...

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:32 AM »
And to make things worse the forecast doesn't have anything like seasonal temps for the next week!  The long range forecast was for the coldest winter in 20 years so does this mean we're going to catch it in the teeth in January and February?  I've read that some people are driving on places in the fort/calling/fishing lakes on far less than I'd consider safe. 
Has there been any advertising yet warning of unsafe ice?  Last year the papers and tv carried quite a few because of the floodgates and their role.  LML's are closed this year but if the ice is so flakey you can't even walk out why aren't they putting out warnings? 
How many years has it been since you couldn't drive down Long Lake at Christmas?  I'm waiting for someone to put a truck in just because there's always one stubborn one thinking "We've always done it.".
I smashed my leg and ankle last week and if I'm lucky I'll get out there in March so there should be enough ice by the time I need it.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:00 AM »
SMASHED LEG? that sucks...hope it heals fast so you can get back out. Iwas just on the saskflood site,and it says they are leaving the gates at vailport open all winter to lower lml for next springs runoff. one way to look at it is if you dont get out till march,the fish will be that much bigger. merryxmas..

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Yes sorry!   I got that bass akwards and I'd even posted it a couple of times.  Valeport and Craven were left open and they closed Katepwa.  The intent last year was to draw the water down under the ice and this year because LML's still up (I think it looks like a foot and a half on the graph I saw) and we aren't slated for much snow maybe things will be normal again this spring.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline GreenBones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2011, 06:35 PM »
I live on the east side of LML and this is my 4th winter here. The water levels at my beach are now at the lowest levels I have seen since I moved out here. I sure hope that the people who regulate the water levels know what they are doing. If we don't get a whole pile of snow this winter there may be hardly any runoff next spring. I noticed that the river going through Valeport and Craven is still flowing as of yesterday.

Offline jagger_ca

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Just a few pictures of the ice that day..

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:32 AM »
good pics JAGGER  it hasnt got any better,maybe worse.and with the upcoming temps.we will have to wait and see. stay clear be safe.....

Offline steadyrippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2011, 02:18 PM »
is this at wee too?

Offline got-ya

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tic tic slam
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2011, 04:34 PM »
       There was finally a report on CTV news yesterday and noon news today. About time -- almost a week after the fact. Fishing has been HOT but is it worth risking your life !! ???

Offline walleyed99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:02 PM »
If someone was thinking about walking out around stone barn on Boxing day can it be done? Or should I add Safely Done? I am leaning towards going north, but my buddy is being rather insistent on going to LML.  Saying he knows people who have been walking on. If anyone has been, please let me know! I always want to be safe and based on what I have heard and read its not what I wanna do. But I also don't wanna listen to him complain about not being at LAst Mountain!!!

Merry Christmas!!!
Walleyed

Offline MRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hurry Up ICE!!!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:47 PM »
There was a report on Global News tonight @ 6. They led the news off with it. I am sure they will rerun the story at 10 and 11. Like was posted earlier they are way late on this one. That being said I am glad they ran it to warn others to be safe.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 24, 2011, 06:42 AM »
No steadyrippen.. this was by the ALICE BEACH boat launch, but this whole area is very unstable. Be carefull..MERRYXMAS...

Offline steadyrippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:47 AM »
is it any better at wee to gunna head that way tommorow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:02 AM »
there has been a few fellows out on the bay north of two tree point ,but noeone south of two tree..

Offline WalleyeNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:11 AM »
In answer to the question on the ice at the barn.  Went there yesterday.  Walked from the barn to the South point and fished there.  A good 10" of ice (probably more).  Purchased ice spikes for my boots from Mark's Work Wearhouse - huge difference (figured they would be cheaper than paying another $75 for chiropractic care).  Caught 8.5, 6, 4, 3, 2 lb eyes.  All went back as we weren't out for food.  Bite has slowed down but still some quality fish to catch.  Ice is definitely safe for walking on in that area.

Offline old man of the sea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:37 AM »
I know this question has been asked before, but can you drive anywhere remotely close to the stone barn?

Offline WalleyeNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 24, 2011, 02:19 PM »
To get to stone barn drive like you are going to grandview beach but instead of turning right into grandview go straight another few hundred yards and you'll drive right to a fence gate followed by a second fence gate just a few feet apart.  Go through them and you will come to another fence gate.  Go throught that one and just continue on the well beat trail right down to the stone barn. 

Offline walleyed99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Thanks for the info WalleyeNut! Looks like we may be going south after all! StoneBarn isn't where we usually head at this time of year but it will have to suffice if we are headed that way! Maybe see ya out there! Picked up my ice cleats just in case!

Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #50 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:51 PM »
Anyone know what the bite has been like at the barn recently ?
I would way rather be fishing

Offline springbayfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 25, 2011, 08:36 AM »
Hey buzzbomb the friend from spring bay wouldn't happen to be E. H. Would it?
Lol

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:29 PM »
is the ice safe north of the wee too beach point? (walking of course)

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:51 PM »
We fished Collingwood today and there was 14" of solid black ice.  There were trucks driving all over without any trouble, just have to stay clear of the pressure cracks.  Fishing was slow, but managed a few nice perch.  I think that my wife and I might try Buffalo POund tomorrow.

Later Days  :tipup:
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:54 AM »
Hey buzzbomb the friend from spring bay wouldn't happen to be E. H. Would it?
Lol
No, I do know some people there but when I checked I found out my friend's cousin had died.  I know who EH is though!  I think when I started going up there about 30 years ago he was already sitting there on the ice and I've met him several times.  Hopefully we'll have sane water levels this year and I can do some carping there.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.